Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie - trying to use Migration Tool - can't create schema - MySQL

I have installed MySQL on a Suse Linux 10 PC (I'm new to LINUX too!). I've created a MySQL user and granted everything to it. I've now installed MySQL on my WinXP machine to administer the database remotely. I can connect using my created user and create tables etc, but: with my user "adrian" I can't create a schema I can't login as root So here's the problem. When I run the Migration Tool, I can only login with my user "adrian", but it fails to create the new schema and I hit a brick wall. Can someone please point ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie - trying to use Migration Tool - can't create schema

    I have installed MySQL on a Suse Linux 10 PC (I'm new to LINUX too!).

    I've created a MySQL user and granted everything to it.

    I've now installed MySQL on my WinXP machine to administer the database
    remotely. I can connect using my created user and create tables etc, but:

    with my user "adrian" I can't create a schema
    I can't login as root

    So here's the problem. When I run the Migration Tool, I can only login with
    my user "adrian", but it fails to create the new schema and I hit a brick
    wall.

    Can someone please point me in the right direction?

    I also note that when I use the MySQL Administrator tool on the Suse
    machine, I have to leave the password blank when logging in....

    Adrian Guest

  2. #2

    "Adrian B" <com> wrote in message

    Update : I just created the schema as root on the server PC and the
    Migration Tool seems to be doing its stuff...

    Is that the best way of doing things?

    Adrian

    Adrian Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:36:11 +0100, Adrian B wrote:

    > Update : I just created the schema as root on the server PC and the
    > Migration Tool seems to be doing its stuff...
    >
    > Is that the best way of doing things?[/ref]

    Depends on how secure your setup is. If all this is on a private network
    and not exposed to the outside, it's probably not unreasonable to allow
    the root ID to be logged in from the WinXP box. Take a look at the GRANT
    commands in the manual, with special focus on the 'user''host' bits.

    Personally, I allow root to log in from elsewhere, have my own user ID
    given authority to *most* things, and give each automatic process its
    own "functional id" with a VERY limited access profile; pretty much just
    what the ID is expected to be able to do. (Mostly, this is just SELECT,
    INSERT, and UPDATE. Sometimes DELETE. Almost no functional IDs have
    DROP or CREATE, for example, and none have GRANT. GRANT is something
    that I reserve for root.)

    --
    I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
    To the lions.

  4. #4

    "Peter H. Coffin" <com> wrote in message
    news:ninehells.com... [/ref]

    It sounds like a good policy.

    I actually made good progress yesterday, with my database transferred and a
    VB6 application converted to use the MySQL dataset instead of the Access
    database, so I'm reasonably happy. Performance isn't good at the moment, so
    I'll have to look carefully at the indices. Also, my test machine for all
    this is pretty basic and almost certainly underpowered for the job so maybe
    it's time to get a decent PC and start again.

    Adrian

    Adrian Guest