Professional Web Applications Themes

newbie w/ an uninstall question - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I was installing Opera onto my system. I thought that the install did not go correctly, so I just deleted some of the directories so that I could try again. When I tried to install it again, Linux kept telling me that the Opera package still existed. I did a search through my entire machine for any file that had "Opera" in it and deleted it. Linux is still telling me that the package is still installed. Is there some kind of registry or something that would list the file name? What other things can I do to get rid ...

  1. #1

    Default newbie w/ an uninstall question

    I was installing Opera onto my system. I thought that the install did not go
    correctly, so I just deleted some of the directories so that I could try
    again. When I tried to install it again, Linux kept telling me that the
    Opera package still existed. I did a search through my entire machine for
    any file that had "Opera" in it and deleted it. Linux is still telling me
    that the package is still installed. Is there some kind of registry or
    something that would list the file name? What other things can I do to get
    rid of this file in my system?

    Thanks!

    dsterling1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: newbie w/ an uninstall question

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:18:27 GMT, dsterling1 wrote:

    net etiquette/Newsgroup tip:

    If you want to send the same message to more than one NG, CROSSPOST!

    Multiposting is considered rude.

    Some will argue that you not even crosspost do to the amount/type
    of newsgroups that we have today.

    As an example to post to "comp.os.linux.security", and
    "comp.os.linux.hardware", use the following Newsgroups line:
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.hardware

    See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

    You conserve resources on NNTP servers, and other readers
    see the follow up answers and do not have to provide the same answer.
    It makes it much harder to keep track of a discussion.
    Also, once a reader has "read" a message in one group, they do
    not have to see it again unless someone has provided a follow up.

    see answer given in other newsgroup.
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    dsterling1 wrote:

    If you installed the program using rpm or some other package management
    system, you must remove the program with the same package management
    tool.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi

  4. #4

    Markku Kolkka <fi> writes:

    > If you installed the program using rpm or some other package management
    > system, you must remove the program with the same package management
    > tool.[/ref]

    Which is to say, if you used an rpm-package to install the thing, as

    rpm -ivh opera-WHATEVER.rpm

    You need to remove by

    rpm -e opera (or possibly rpm -e opera-WHATEVER)

    You need to be root to do this.

    I think RedHat has some graphical tool for this - but I'm not sure as I never use it for rpm's.

    /M.
    Martin Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 05:44:54 +0000, Martin wrote:

    >> If you installed the program using rpm or some other package management
    >> system, you must remove the program with the same package management
    >> tool.[/ref]
    >
    > Which is to say, if you used an rpm-package to install the thing, as
    >
    > rpm -ivh opera-WHATEVER.rpm
    >
    > You need to remove by
    >
    > rpm -e opera (or possibly rpm -e opera-WHATEVER)
    >
    > You need to be root to do this.
    >
    > I think RedHat has some graphical tool for this - but I'm not sure as I never use it for rpm's.
    >
    > /M.[/ref]

    if you installed using the source, get the source again and usually you
    can do 'make uninstall' after re-doing './configure' . if you still have
    the source, just go to it and type 'make uninstall'.

    PecanEater Guest