Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie: Where to find doentation of functions - Mac Programming

I'm new to the Mac, and am porting an application from Ms Windows using the wxWindows GUI framework, onto an iBook running OSX 10.1, using C++ with the Apple Development tools in makefiles etc. However I need to do a few system calls. What I cannot find is any lists of functions with parameters, etc. This must exist -- can anyone tell me where it is? What I need is some kind of timing (in microseconds) system call, so I can time bits of my code. I've seen vague references to uptime() and microsecond() in google, but can't get further. ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie: Where to find doentation of functions

    I'm new to the Mac, and am porting an application from Ms Windows
    using the wxWindows GUI framework, onto an iBook running OSX 10.1,
    using C++ with the Apple Development tools in makefiles etc. However
    I need to do a few system calls. What I cannot find is any lists of
    functions with parameters, etc. This must exist -- can anyone tell me
    where it is?

    What I need is some kind of timing (in microseconds) system call, so I
    can time bits of my code. I've seen vague references to uptime() and
    microsecond() in google, but can't get further. All I can find on the
    apple site is a morass of different buzzwords, with marketing bumpf
    behind them.

    I'm sure everyone knows this. Help!

    All the best,

    Roger Pe
    Roger Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie: Where to find doentation of functions

    On 5 Dec 2003, Roger Pe wrote:

    developer.apple.com
    Also, once you have installed the developer tools, there will be lots of
    doentation in /Developer/Doentation. XCode has a quite nice
    doentation lookup thingy
    UpTime() is indeed the function you are looking for

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Roger,

    co.uk (Roger Pe) writes:

    For programming Carbon or Cocoa, you have doentation on your disk
    in /Developer/Doentation in HTML and PDF. The same material (but
    more up-to-date) is also on <http://develop.apple.com>.

    For programming at the BSD level, including Unix API and networking
    with sockets, you have the usual Unix-style man pages. You may need
    to install the optional BSD package from the OS CDs to get those man
    pages, though. The man pages are accessible from the command line and
    from the menu in ProjectBuilder and (I assume) XCode.

    For programming at this level, you want to get some Unix programming
    introduction or a reference book depending on your general experience.

    For the GNU tools like the compiler, the info reader (or Info-mode in
    Emacs) gives a more complete picture. It also has better
    accessibility than the HTML (IMO).

    benny
    Benjamin Guest

  4. #4

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote in message news:<srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>...

    > developer.apple.com[/ref]

    Yes, I know. Somewhere in that morass is what I want to know. But
    where? How do I find anything?

    To see why I am having problems, try entering 'uptime' into the search
    box. See the pile of junk that comes back.

    > UpTime() is indeed the function you are looking for[/ref]

    <frustration> Where is the damn thing doented?

    Roger Pe
    Roger Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Roger,

    co.uk (Roger Pe) writes:

    The first hit that I get is a question about that function. The
    seventh hit is a technote with references to the "Inside Macintosh"
    (the standard Apple doentation series) that doents the function.
    The ninth hit actually has the (too short IMO) doentation online.
    That doentation make it obvious that I need information about the
    return type "AbsoluteTime", so I search for that and the fourth hit is
    a page "Time Conversion Functions" that can help me make sense out of
    that.

    For a non-optimized search engine (as opposed to Google), this is
    sufficient for me.

    benny
    Benjamin Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    co.uk (Roger Pe) wrote:

    > > UpTime() is indeed the function you are looking for[/ref]
    >
    > <frustration> Where is the damn thing doented?[/ref]

    Take a PB or Xcode project, or make a new one. (If you're using PB and
    you made a new one, build it first.) Type "UpTime" into a source file,
    then hold down option and double-click it.
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Michael Ash <com> wrote in message news:<mail-4D314D.17424609122003localhost>...

    > > <frustration> Where is the damn thing doented?[/ref]
    >
    > Take a PB or Xcode project, or make a new one. (If you're using PB and
    > you made a new one, build it first.) Type "UpTime" into a source file,
    > then hold down option and double-click it.[/ref]

    Great -- thank you! (I've not been using PB, so hadn't tried this).

    All the best,

    Roger Pe
    Roger Guest

  8. #8

    In article <google.com>,
    co.uk (Roger Pe) wrote:

    > Great -- thank you! (I've not been using PB, so hadn't tried this).[/ref]

    Surprisingly few people know about this feature, but it's incredibly
    useful. Option gives you doentation, and command will take you to the
    declaration in the header. If you don't type the whole identifier, it
    will figure out the rest; if it matches more than one identifier, then
    it will give you a menu with all of the possibilities. It's great.
    Michael Guest