Professional Web Applications Themes

Newbie with 2 questions about vector format and text/outlines - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi. I normally do very dense and long manuscript layout using Adobe InDesign. I have been asked to create a simple t-shirt logo and design (something I have never done before). I have IllustratorCS on my computer. The t-shirt printers I will use have requested the logo to be in vector format and the text to be in outlines. The logo(s) I have are currently in bitmap format. Is there an easy way to go from bitmap to vector within Illustrator? If so, how. Second, the text is supposed to be in outlines. I see where I can create outlines ...

  1. #1

    Default Newbie with 2 questions about vector format and text/outlines

    Hi. I normally do very dense and long manuscript layout using Adobe InDesign. I have been asked to create a simple t-shirt logo and design (something I have never done before). I have IllustratorCS on my computer. The t-shirt printers I will use have requested the logo to be in vector format and the text to be in outlines.

    The logo(s) I have are currently in bitmap format. Is there an easy way to go from bitmap to vector within Illustrator? If so, how.

    Second, the text is supposed to be in outlines. I see where I can create outlines from my text but not exactly sure what that means or if I need to do something different.

    Hoping these questions make sense as I am very new to Illustrator.

    Thanks for your help.

    robin
    Robin_Lipkin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Robin,

    The majority opinion is to recommend redrawing, with the pen tool and possibly other tools, and with the raster image as model in the background; there are vectorizing applications recommended by some. You may search for vectorize/vectorizing.

    Text is editable until outlined, and converted to curves afterwards, still vector.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I work in freehand (which I think is easier than illustrator), and freehand has a tracing command, but it only works if you have a pretty good bitmapped or black/white image. They do have a program called Adobe Streamline, which will re-trace the logo, (which you may have to clean up some), and my boyfriend uses this program at his company, and he designs t-shirts all day long, which are all vectorized out. In freehand, it is called convert to paths for the type, which means, once you convert over, there are no fonts to supply to the t-shirt company. Hopefully this will help you in what you need to do.
    Debby_Barrett@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You can convert text to outlines in both Indesign and Illustrator, and also copy and paste between both of them whilst as vector outlines to shorten the process.

    A bitmap is made of pixels, so to make it to vector (lines) you will have to either trace it or redraw it.

    Indesign CS: Edit/ Select All then Type/Create outlines
    IllustratorCS: Select all then Type/Create outlines
    Karen_C@adobeforums.com Guest