Professional Web Applications Themes

Newly installed CS 2 can't start (font manager.rpln fails) - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I have just received CS 2 Premium today and everything seems to work fine except for InDesign. The error message is this: <http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/indesign/cs2/startup/error.png>. It seems that the cause to my problem is 'font manager.rpln'. Could it be that InDesign CS 2 in incompatible with ATM Deluxe 4.1, which I have installed on my computer? (WinXP Pro SP2). I have tried to reset InDesigns preference file and reinstalled InDesign too, but it doesn't work. InDesign 2.02 and 3.01 is also installed but shouldn't it be possible to have all of them installed at the same time? -- Regards Madsen...

  1. #1

    Default Newly installed CS 2 can't start (font manager.rpln fails)

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  2. #2

    I don't know what's causing that error, but I can tell you that I have
    ATM Deluxe 4.1 running on an XP SP2 machine with no issues.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Bob,

    Hmm, okay.

    I have a WinXP 64-bit Edition without ATM Deluxe installed on
    another drive. Think I'll try installing the suite on that
    in a minute to see if InDesign fails on that installation too.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  4. #4

    Let me know.

    I'm getting close to building a new machine and I'm thinking of going
    WinXP64.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    Thomas G. Madsen wrote:

    Argh!
    The trial version of Photoshop CS2 installs fine on WinXP 64-bit
    Edition but the suite installer can't:
    <http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/indesign/cs2/unsupported_path.png>.

    Program Files(x86) is the right location for 32-bit programs under
    WinXP 64-bit Edition. The Program Files folder is for pure 64-bit
    programs.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  6. #6

    Bob,

    WinXP 64-bit Edition is very fast. A lot faster than the 32-bit
    version of WinXP Pro, so I can definitely recommend it (I have a
    HT enabled dual Xeon "Nocona" 3.0 Ghz with 2 GB RAM).

    Unfortunately it's hard to find 64-bit drivers to all my hardware
    at the moment but eventually it will arrive, I hope.

    Creative Suite 2 is not fully compatible with WinXP 64-bit Ed.
    The suite installer can't install in Program Files(x86), as I
    wrote earlier, but if you install InDesign CS 2 via the 'Adobe
    InDesign CS2.msi' file from CD 2, you'll be able to install
    in Program Files(x86) and the same thing applies to the other
    programs in the suite.

    The Adobe PDF printer(*) in Acrobat 7 Pro is not compatible with
    WinXP 64-bit Edition, but the rest of the programs seems to work.

    (*) <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?cQoJekaIkPm.2.3bba536e>

    InDesign CS 2 starts on my 64-bit installation by the way, so
    there must be something wrong on my WinXP Pro SP2 installation.
    If only I knew the cause, but I haven't got at clue at the moment.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  7. #7

    Thomas,

    You might try doing a search for all "AdobeFnt10.lst" files and deleting them from your system. I'm not sure it will work, but it's worth a try...

    Jodi
    Jodi_Hamilton@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Jodi,

    Deleting the AdobeFnt10.lst files sounded like a good suggestion
    which I haven't tried prior to your post, but unfortunately no.
    It doesn't work. I get the same crash in font manager.rpln and it
    doesn't work to take the font manager.rpln file from InDesign CS 1,
    or the one from my working InDesign CS 2 installation on WinXP
    64-bit Ed. instead. It still crashes with the same error message.

    I have also tried un-installing all Adobe stuff (including the
    Adobe folder inside C:\Doents and Settings\[User Name]\
    Application Data) so that CS 2 is the only suite installed, but
    not even that works.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  9. #9

    You may want to give Adobe a call. Installation issues get free support.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  10. #10

    An un- and re-installation of ATM solved the problem.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

  11. #11

    Thomas G. Madsen wrote:

    Just to follow up on this annoying error I can tell, that I have
    more or less given up on ATM Deluxe 4.1. Now I use Suitcase 9.2
    instead, and it seems that InDesign CS2 works fine with that font
    manager. InDesign hasn't crashed since I installed Suitcase last
    week.

    It seems that something weird happens when ATM is installed on
    this system. It's strange that it only affects InDesign CS2 and
    not the other Adobe programs though.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen