Professional Web Applications Themes

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

Your Message

Click here to log in

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • October 9th, 03:53 PM
    Helen_Polson@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    This is something which every now and then happens to me- if I navigate to a certain folder (normally one with lots of files in) whatever program I'm using (Windows Explorer, Photoshop etc) will shut down with no error message. I've found the only way round is to copy the entire folder (without opening it!) and paste it somewhere else. This new folder then opens normally.
    It hasn't happened since I've been looking after the hard drive a bit better- regularly defragging and scanning for errors seems to have helped.
  • October 9th, 02:35 PM
    Donna_Burnette@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    I have just started having the exact same problem this morning!!:-(
    I am running PS 7 on XP Pro...
    I have cleared all temp files...
    I don't understand the problem, but have found a way around...
    Rather than move the files through Win Exp - simply drag and drop them to another folder using the PS file browser - hope that helps you to at least access them again!
    Good Luck!
  • October 9th, 07:46 AM
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Marshall,

    I've moved your duplicate topic to join your original posting

  • October 9th, 12:05 AM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    if that still doesn't work you may need to resort to the command prompt.

    That would've been my next suggestion. Milbut to the rescue!
  • October 9th, 12:05 AM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    if that still doesn't work you may need to resort to the command prompt.

    That would've been my next suggestion. Milbut to the rescue!
  • October 8th, 09:47 PM
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    i'm guessing it's a bad file somewhere in that directory. try turning thumbnails off in explorer before going into that dir. if that still doesn't work you may need to resort to the command prompt. you need to go through the files to see what's bad.

    take 1/2 the files out and try to enter the folder. if you get in, the bad one's in the 1/2 you moved. rinse and repeat until you find the bad one.
  • October 8th, 09:47 PM
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    i'm guessing it's a bad file somewhere in that directory. try turning thumbnails off in explorer before going into that dir. if that still doesn't work you may need to resort to the command prompt. you need to go through the files to see what's bad.

    take 1/2 the files out and try to enter the folder. if you get in, the bad one's in the 1/2 you moved. rinse and repeat until you find the bad one.
  • October 8th, 09:10 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    well the problem is if I open the folder to move them its shuts down.

    What shuts down? Windows Explorer?
  • October 8th, 09:10 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    well the problem is if I open the folder to move them its shuts down.

    What shuts down? Windows Explorer?
  • October 8th, 08:32 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Well, I guess its not going to do it.

    But the reason I think its file type specific is becasue I have multiple folders all with differnt kinds of files in them.

    And from what I can tell only folders with jpgs and gifs shut the program you are viewing them in down. Now thats not to say its all jogs, and all gifs. These ones you just asked me to create are working fine.

    Ive run scandisk and cleared my temp.

    And you asked what happened if I moved these files to a differnt folder. well the problem is if I open the folder to move them its shuts down.
  • October 8th, 08:32 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Well, I guess its not going to do it.

    But the reason I think its file type specific is becasue I have multiple folders all with differnt kinds of files in them.

    And from what I can tell only folders with jpgs and gifs shut the program you are viewing them in down. Now thats not to say its all jogs, and all gifs. These ones you just asked me to create are working fine.

    Ive run scandisk and cleared my temp.

    And you asked what happened if I moved these files to a differnt folder. well the problem is if I open the folder to move them its shuts down.
  • October 8th, 08:14 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Okay... progress. Good. Tell us what makes you think it's file type specific.

    First thing clean out temp files from your temp folder, then run scandisk.

    Next, what file types cause the problem? JPG's only? You can save JPG's from PS or Image Ready. Does the problem occur regardless of which program saved a file? Create a brand new jpg in PS, and a new one in IR. Then try to get them - any problems?

    What happens if you move those files to a different folder?
  • October 8th, 08:14 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Okay... progress. Good. Tell us what makes you think it's file type specific.

    First thing clean out temp files from your temp folder, then run scandisk.

    Next, what file types cause the problem? JPG's only? You can save JPG's from PS or Image Ready. Does the problem occur regardless of which program saved a file? Create a brand new jpg in PS, and a new one in IR. Then try to get them - any problems?

    What happens if you move those files to a different folder?
  • October 8th, 08:03 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Ok, I can MAKE it happen its seems to be file type specific.

    now when you say that youre leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being the issue... how would i go about finding out if that is it and if it is then fixing it...

    think ive just decided to switch to mac ;)
  • October 8th, 08:03 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Ok, I can MAKE it happen its seems to be file type specific.

    now when you say that youre leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being the issue... how would i go about finding out if that is it and if it is then fixing it...

    think ive just decided to switch to mac ;)
  • October 8th, 07:59 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Well, as it sits, it's WAY too tough to troubleshoot. IMO, the best way to TS this is to see if you can MAKE it happen. Determine if it's file specific or folder specific.

    Make sure and run scandisk on your drive.

    I'd bet money it's not a Photoshop issue if it happens when navigating with Windows Explorer.

    Also, for giggles and grins, go to the Knowledgebase and do a search on preferences files. There's an article that tells the locations of the Image Ready preferences. I'd try that too, but I'm still leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being an issue.

    Also, clean out your temp directories.

    Peace,
    Tony
  • October 8th, 07:59 PM
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    Well, as it sits, it's WAY too tough to troubleshoot. IMO, the best way to TS this is to see if you can MAKE it happen. Determine if it's file specific or folder specific.

    Make sure and run scandisk on your drive.

    I'd bet money it's not a Photoshop issue if it happens when navigating with Windows Explorer.

    Also, for giggles and grins, go to the Knowledgebase and do a search on preferences files. There's an article that tells the locations of the Image Ready preferences. I'd try that too, but I'm still leaning toward the OS/File/Folder as being an issue.

    Also, clean out your temp directories.

    Peace,
    Tony
  • October 8th, 07:55 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    OK I updated my drivers... to no avail.

    to respond to tony:

    I reset the preferences... no difference

    im running a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Windows XP Pro machine, the files are on an internal harddrive. i have PS7 with the 7.0.1 update

    I can't say that it was from day one because as I said I think its only from the "save for web" dialouge, and I was doing very little web work when I first got PS7

    so any thoughts from that info?
  • October 8th, 07:55 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    OK I updated my drivers... to no avail.

    to respond to tony:

    I reset the preferences... no difference

    im running a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Windows XP Pro machine, the files are on an internal harddrive. i have PS7 with the 7.0.1 update

    I can't say that it was from day one because as I said I think its only from the "save for web" dialouge, and I was doing very little web work when I first got PS7

    so any thoughts from that info?
  • October 8th, 07:51 PM
    Marshall_Hines@adobeforums.com

    Re: When opening certian files photoshops dissapears.

    zippy2000 "When opening certian files photoshops dissapears." 10/8/03 12:47pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.2ccdcd38/2>

    sorry i double posted, ili reply to you here
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

  • You may post replies