Professional Web Applications Themes

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: RGB to CMYK conversion

Your Message

Click here to log in

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • October 10th, 07:54 PM
    Lawrence_Hudetz@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    Apology accepted, John. I got up a bit feisty today myself!

    Eric,while you are at it, if you are going to continue in a commercial vein, get the full version of PS.

    You'll be glad you did.
  • October 10th, 06:24 PM
    Eric_Gibson@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    Hi,

    Well, I see I have posted a newbie question in a forum where participants are probably used to a little more sophistication! At any rate, this Has been helpful and I can see that I need to let my printer do the conversion until I'm better educated.

    So my next stop is probably Barnes & Noble (to get "Real World Photoshop" or suchlike rather than Kinkos!!

    thanks again!
    Eric
  • October 10th, 05:58 PM
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    Them is the printer, not Kinkos

    sorry, I didn't see another printer referred to in the original post, unless you count Tektronic...

    I guess I was in a feisty mood when I responded, no offense meant.

    It's just that too often I have been given color lasers done on some dogsh*t printer by some guy that has never heard of color management and he figures that with his print in hand, it is somehow a simple matter to match his vision.

    If everything works like it should, no color laser should be needed right? His embedded profile should be honored when opening and the RGB to CMYK conversion done with a custom profile should do the trick...

    Custom profile? Kinkos? yeah, that was the point, but then you knew that.
  • October 10th, 05:33 PM
    Lawrence_Hudetz@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    I wasn't referring to Kinkos. I was under the impression that Kinkos was making the conversion and doing a proof which they cannot do. The cover, I assume, is being done by a legit color printing shop. The proof is for them not Kinkos. In fact, if you care to read my message carefully, instead of looking for a way to trash an opinion, I SAID "Perhaps it would be better to allow the printer access to your RGB images and let them do the conversion." Them is the printer, not Kinkos. If Kinkos does it all, you take what you get from RGB.
  • October 10th, 03:00 AM
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    Give them a print as you would like to see it.

    And then what, Kinkos is going to take full responsibility for matching your print, no matter what type of printer you use, going through more than one output if needed?

    Don't make me laugh.
  • October 10th, 02:00 AM
    Lawrence_Hudetz@adobeforums.com

    Re: RGB to CMYK conversion

    You have just engaged the whole, towering edifice of color management.

    Get thee to a book like "Real World Photoshop", and read up on color, all the way to seps.

    In any case, Elements doesn't hack it. Perhaps it would be better to allow the printer access to your RGB images and let them do the conversion. Give them a print as you would like to see it.
  • October 9th, 10:55 PM
    Eric_Gibson@adobeforums.com

    RGB to CMYK conversion

    Hi, I have Photoshop Elements (on a PC) (RGB but not CMYK capabilities) and wondered what I need to do to get a book cover converted over to CMYK. My understanding is:

    Take it to Kinkos, open it up in Photoshop and change the mode to CMYK.

    But then how do I get a "proof"? Kinkos tells me their Tektronix printer doesn't come close.

    Any other issues I need to be aware of?

    thanks!

    Eric Gibson

  • You may post replies