Professional Web Applications Themes

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Can't Open Photoshop

Your Message

Click here to log in

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • October 14th, 08:01 AM
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    Assuming ou have multiple drives, you can either:

    1) Set the Phptoshop scratch to a different drive from Photoshop
    Preferences>Plug-ins and Scratch disk or
    2) Move the Windows pagefile from My Computer (Right-click on
    it)->Properties>Advanced>Performance Options>Virtual Memory>Change (You must
    leave at least a 2megs pagefile on the C:/drive)

  • October 14th, 12:29 AM
    tate_graham@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    How do I go about putting the pagefile and Photoshop scratch files on different drives? I have never heard of a pagefile. I did know that the scratch files should be on a dif drive but I don't know how to go about it. Thanks!
  • October 13th, 05:48 PM
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    I run WINXP. Yes, I know, running a Mac would have been the smart thing
    to do...

    Windows XP is a fine operating system. Don't buy into the myths about the "superiority" of the Macintosh platform.
  • October 13th, 04:29 PM
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    Eileen,

    That is an information message only telling you that for best performance
    you need to have the pagefile and Photoshop scratch files on different
    drives.

  • October 13th, 02:55 PM
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    OOPS, Premature post ... I didn't notice, but after I closed the error window about scratch and paging files, PhotoShop went ahead and opened. I tried closing and opening it twice, and it's working again.
    weird.
    Hope I remember what to do next time.
    Thanks for the help Folks!
  • October 13th, 02:29 PM
    Mona_Kimball@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    Oh thank you so much for that link!

    I was having the same problem with mine, except it would blink out at "Initializing color preferences."

    I was most distraught over why it suddenly wasn't working.

    Thanks again!
  • October 13th, 01:59 PM
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    I did the control alt shift while opening PhotoShop, it asked if I wanted to delete the file, I said yes, but I still got the message that the PS Scratch file needed to be on a different volume than the Win Paging file.
    I hate windows... I hate adobe ... I hate computers .....
  • October 13th, 01:59 PM
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    during or after it gets to the point of loading fonts.

    that usually indicates a corrupt font. install any fonts lately? you need to go back, remove them and find the bad one before reinstalling.
  • October 13th, 01:56 PM
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    My PhotoShop is doing the same thing, vanishing during or after it gets to the point of loading fonts.
    I have tried:
    Removing all Adobe products and all related files and then reloading Adobe PhotoShop. NO LUCK.
    Changing my hard drive from FAT32 TO NTFS.
    NO LUCK.
    I did get a message twice upon reloading PhotoShop which indicated that PhotoShop's Scratch File needed to be on a different volume from Windows Paging File.
    Well I have no idea what to do about that, short of doing a clean install and reformatting my drive to more than one partition.
    This all started out of the blue, so it seems there should be a simple solution. If it was working before, shouldn't it work now? I am so frustrated. We spend thousands on these programs and then they give us all these problems.
    I run WINXP. Yes, I know, running a Mac would have been the smart thing to do, but it's too late now. Too much invested in win. and in Adobe products. EEEK HELP HELP
  • October 13th, 03:41 AM
    tate_graham@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    I got an answer from another site. I had to go in under the administrator and delete the adobe/photoshop file there, then reinstall it - worked great - am using it right now. I had not been able to use it for over a week and was getting terribly frustrated.
  • October 13th, 03:35 AM
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com

    Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    Tate,

    have you tried to reset your preferences?

    See the FAQ (click here!) <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.ef4a07f> for instructions.
  • October 13th, 01:38 AM
    tate_graham@adobeforums.com

    Can't Open Photoshop

    I don't have a clue what happened but a few days ago Photoshop 7.0 started acting like it was going to open, then just vanished. I have tried numerous times since and it does the same thing. I have uninstalled and re-installed and it still acts like it is going to open, then in a flash it is gone. I don't get any error messages or anything. Please Help!

  • You may post replies