Professional Web Applications Themes

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Resizing Images

Your Message

Click here to log in

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • October 15th, 11:06 PM
    David

    Re: Resizing Images

    I guess I should have said preserve the best resolution. Thanks again
  • October 15th, 09:06 PM
    Jonathan_Balza@adobeforums.com

    Re: Resizing Images

    Ahhh... I thought by "maintain resolution" you wanted NOT to resize the images. Good tip, PH.
  • October 15th, 08:37 PM
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com

    Re: Resizing Images

    No problem. Glad it worked for you.
  • October 15th, 06:51 PM
    David

    Re: Resizing Images

    Awesome! That helps a lot. Thanks for the tip. That saves a lot of time.
  • October 15th, 06:38 PM
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com

    Re: Resizing Images

    David,

    You can use the crop tool and set the width to 720 and the height to 534. When you make your selection and hit enter it will up/down sample the image to 720x534. since you are using high res images it should always downsample as long as your selection is large enough.

    So if your image is 1280x1024 and you use the crop tool with the 720x534 height and width specified and your selection is covering and area of the picture that is 1080x801 it would automaticaly crop and resize to 720x534. Be careful though because if you make a selection that is under 720x534 it will be enlarged to fit.
  • October 15th, 06:29 PM
    David

    Re: Resizing Images

    Thanks for the suggestion, that will help somewhat, however what I'm trying to do is shrink a much larger photo into the desired size. Your suggestion will work to touch up the picture once I'm close. (Newbie here by the way)
  • October 15th, 05:40 PM
    Jonathan_Balza@adobeforums.com

    Re: Resizing Images

    To do this process, I would use the Marquee tool combined with the crop command.

    Select the rectangular marquee tool (m). On the option bar, there is a drop down box for "Style". Set this to "Fixed size", and type in for width "720 px" and height "534 px". Now click in your doent, and you have a rectangular marquee of exactly those dimensions.

    Move this marquee around till you have the area selected you want to keep, and go to "Image->Crop". Save this out in whatever format you want.
  • October 15th, 05:31 PM
    David

    Resizing Images

    Hi,
    I'm resizing photos for use in video. I open the photo, select all, copy it, then create a new canvas 720 x 534 and paste the photo in. Is this the best way to resize pics and maintain resolution. Any suggestions welcome.
  • September 8th, 09:02 PM
    darrel

    Re: resizing images

    > I want to have the graphics enlarge when needed due to resolution
    settings. For example...the menu bar graphics extending acrossed the top of
    the screen. I know how to do this with a plain cell but there has to be a
    way to do it with graphics? create a small slice? I have also seen this
    done in a text area with a background text?

    You asked this in the other forum, but, to answer your question, you can't
    make images resizable easily. you CAN make images tile, though.

    So, for a header, you want to get creative and make an image that can tile
    horizontally. Here's a sample I've been working on lately:

    [url]http://www.digitalarray.com/herdpro[/url]

    The top header consists of two images and one tiled background image.

    -Darrel

  • September 8th, 08:46 PM
    DrAspen

    resizing images

    I want to have the graphics enlarge when needed due to resolution settings. For example...the menu bar graphics extending acrossed the top of the screen. I know how to do this with a plain cell but there has to be a way to do it with graphics? create a small slice? I have also seen this done in a text area with a background text?

  • July 21st, 04:13 PM
    Helen Polson

    Re: Resizing Images

    I suggest reading this article-->
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp>
  • July 21st, 04:03 PM
    LenHewitt

    Re: Resizing Images

    Syed,

    Your Sig file is inappropriate in an Intenational, Professional and multi-cultural forum
  • July 21st, 10:28 AM
    Syed Zeeshan Haider

    Re: Resizing Images

    "Mac McDougald" <doogleREMOVE_THISdoogle.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.198335b731320d3b9896b8www.adobeforums.co m...
    > You are probably expecting too much from 32x32 pixels.
    Because I have seen too much in such small sizes. :-)
    Have you observed the Recycle Bin, My Computer, My Doents or Internet
    Explorer icons in Windows? They contain too much image details.
    > It's a whole area of expertise to make something recognizable/attractive
    > with that few pixels.
    That's the real thing that I seem to lack.

    Thanks,
    --
    Syed Zeeshan Haider.

    -----------------------------------
    Allah says to Mankind:
    "Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?"

  • July 19th, 08:42 PM
    Michael B. Field

    Re: Resizing Images

    You could also make the icons 128 x 128 which will make them easier once they are small if you have to work in 300x300. Hopefully whatever OS you use can handle 128 icons.
  • July 19th, 06:25 PM
    LenHewitt

    Re: Resizing Images

    You should create the images at their final size, and NOT resize them. ICO
    files are best created in an ICON editor rather than in Photoshop

  • July 19th, 05:46 PM
    Syed Zeeshan Haider

    Resizing Images

    Hello Experts,
    I have PS6 on Win98SE.

    I have been creating 32x32 images with PS and converting them into *.ico
    files with some icon creator. But there is a problem.
    I actually create mostly a large image for an icon. I mostly use 300x300
    (pixels). After completing the image, when I resize it to 32x32 (pixels), it
    becomes blurry and loses that sharpness which we see in professional icons
    (like that of Adobe products, Microsoft products etc.). How can I resize an
    image without losing its sharpness?
    (I already have some experience of PS and I use it without any hesitation,
    however, I am not any expert.)
    Thank you,
    --
    Syed Zeeshan Haider.

    -----------------------------------
    Allah says to Mankind:
    "Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?"

  • July 19th, 04:02 PM
    Mac McDougald

    Re: Resizing Images

    You are probably expecting too much from 32x32 pixels.
    Work at that size to begin with. Icon sized images must be quite simple.
    It's a whole area of expertise to make something recognizable/attractive
    with that few pixels.

    Mac

  • You may post replies