Professional Web Applications Themes

News.Individual.net not free anymore - Photography

I, and a lot of other people posting to this particular group use News.individual.net for access to it. As of April fools day the service is going to charge a fee for access. Charging for the service in OK but how does an Australian pay a German without using a credit card? I think many people tight for a buck will simply go back to whatever their ISP is offering or use Goggle. Either way, if you filter Goggle, you won't see their messages and if you don't use Google and your ISP doesn't think this group worth listing, the ...

  1. #1

    Default News.Individual.net not free anymore

    I, and a lot of other people posting to this particular group use
    News.individual.net for access to it. As of April fools day the service
    is going to charge a fee for access. Charging for the service in OK but
    how does an Australian pay a German without using a credit card?

    I think many people tight for a buck will simply go back to whatever
    their ISP is offering or use Goggle. Either way, if you filter Goggle,
    you won't see their messages and if you don't use Google and your ISP
    doesn't think this group worth listing, the posts might lessen. Mine
    will actually cease altogether... Stop the cheering, you're hurting my ears!

    Doug
    Ryadia Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: News.Individual.net not free anymore

    Ryadia wrote:

    Get a friend with a credit card to pay for you!

    I've now found that my ISP is carrying the group (because it is on the
    approved list), so I've moved already. Perhaps you could ask your ISP
    again?

    I would miss your postings here.

    Cheers,
    David

    David Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:55 +1000, Ryadia wrote:

    ISPs usually don't have any issues in carrying comp.* newsgroups. Just ask
    them...
    Tomislav Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:44:13 +0100, Tomislav Filipčić wrote:

    > ISPs usually don't have any issues in carrying comp.* newsgroups. Just ask
    > them...[/ref]

    I mean rec.* :)
    Tomislav Guest

  5. #5

    "Ryadia" <com> wrote in message

    the posts might lessen. Mine

    --

    Well, there we are! - if you hadn't spent (in your own words) 'the cost of
    a small car' pursuing legal action against a Troll you might have been able

    As it is, however..........bye, bye....

    Pritchard Guest

  6. #6

    Ryadia <com> wrote:

    They made the change specifically to get rid of you. They know you want
    them to be held responsible for your posts, so they figure you're not
    worth it, but everyone else will just pay the 10 Euros.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>, com says...

    I saw that the price is apparently 10 Euros a year... thats pretty cheap. Im
    sure they will break down and take a check, its not like it wont have time to
    clear the bank before April 1.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  8. #8

    Exit 109 on the GSP - Red Bank area.

    Gee, reminds me of Monmouth Internet !

    --
    Dave
    Exit 105

    "Jeremy Nixon" <com> wrote in message
    | Ryadia <com> wrote:
    |
    | > I, and a lot of other people posting to this particular group use
    | > News.individual.net for access to it. As of April fools day the service
    | > is going to charge a fee for access. Charging for the service in OK but
    | > how does an Australian pay a German without using a credit card?
    |
    | They made the change specifically to get rid of you. They know you want
    | them to be held responsible for your posts, so they figure you're not
    | worth it, but everyone else will just pay the 10 Euros.
    |
    | --
    | Jeremy | com

    David Guest

  9. #9

    Larry wrote:

    > I saw that the price is apparently 10 Euros a year... thats pretty cheap. Im
    > sure they will break down and take a check, its not like it wont have time to
    > clear the bank before April 1.
    >
    >[/ref]
    Probably the only sensible reply.
    Almost done as I write.
    Thanks Larry.

    Doug
    Ryadia Guest

  10. #10

    Larry <net> wrote in

    Not if they want the CC number for identification purposes.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  11. #11

    In article <133.1.4>, com
    says...

    > Not if they want the CC number for identification purposes.
    >
    >[/ref]

    If they get the money from the check, they need NO FURTHER IDENTIFICATION!!

    Thats the point of using a check.. you get to pay the bill WITHOUT giving
    away CC number. (I recommend a cashiers check or money order).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  12. #12

    Larry <net> wrote in

    >> Not if they want the CC number for identification purposes.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > If they get the money from the check, they need NO FURTHER
    > IDENTIFICATION!!
    >
    > Thats the point of using a check.. you get to pay the bill
    > WITHOUT giving away CC number. (I recommend a cashiers check or
    > money order).
    >
    >[/ref]

    I'm talking about being able to ID a poster to a real world identity
    for abuse-prevention purposes. See some of the recent threads in
    news.groups if you're interested. Google Groups should do something
    like that too.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  13. #13

    In article <133.1.4>, com
    says...

    > > If they get the money from the check, they need NO FURTHER
    > > IDENTIFICATION!!
    > >
    > > Thats the point of using a check.. you get to pay the bill
    > > WITHOUT giving away CC number. (I recommend a cashiers check or
    > > money order).
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I'm talking about being able to ID a poster to a real world identity
    > for abuse-prevention purposes. See some of the recent threads in
    > news.groups if you're interested. Google Groups should do something
    > like that too.
    >
    >[/ref]

    The best way to handle an abuser is to shut him off..

    You dont need to know too much about a guy to shut off his account.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  14. #14

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    >> I'm talking about being able to ID a poster to a real world identity
    >> for abuse-prevention purposes. See some of the recent threads in
    >> news.groups if you're interested. Google Groups should do something
    >> like that too.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > The best way to handle an abuser is to shut him off..
    >
    > You dont need to know too much about a guy to shut off his account.<<<[/ref]

    Steady on, old man! - there's no need for talk like that!!.......

    Pritchard Guest

  15. #15

    Larry wrote:
    Here's where you get it all crossed up Larry.
    Individual.news is run by a German University and is fresh out of cash
    to buy new servers. They can't get a sponsor willing to give them money
    in return for no advertising (German logic there) so they decided to
    charge for the service. Only trouble is they don't accept any cheques
    (checks to some) or cash.

    Only way to pay is through a gateway with a credit card. After
    experiencing repetitive, unauthorized debiting by such renown Internet
    identities as "Square Trade" and their parent company "Ebay" who seem
    to think their customers credit cards are just another source of funding
    to be used whenever that feel like inventing a new fee and my own
    favorite ISP who kept taking $65 of my money every month for about a
    year until my company's auditors picked up the "error".

    I have not the slightest interest in using my credit card for anything I
    don't personally swipe the card for. The ride to Germany might be fun
    but I just don't have a couple of weeks to spare and I don't understand
    the culture and , If I can't understand the merc's handbook, how in
    hell will I cope with the language?

    Doug
    Ryadia Guest

  16. #16

    Larry wrote:

    And then he signs up again as someone else..

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest