Professional Web Applications Themes

News server requirements - Sun Solaris

"Tommy Fallsen" <com> wrote in message news:71.169.73...  handle  ++ The Datasheet on the server does include News server as a key application, but does'nt mention load/number of users. Tommy Fallsen...

  1. #1

    Default Re: News server requirements

    news:71.169.73...
    handle
    ++ The Datasheet on the server does include News server as a key
    application, but does'nt mention
    load/number of users.

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  2. #2

    "Kjetil Torgrim Homme" <ifi.uio.no> wrote in message

    > simultaneous users? probably not.
    >
    > nntp.uio.no is a Netra T1. it has 50000 potential users, but usually
    > number of simultaneous users is around 50, perhaps peaking into 200.
    > it handles it fine, but it uses an A1000 for storage, pluss an
    > external SCSI disk for overview
    >[/ref]
    A1000 way to expensive and is 512MB RAM enough?

    > no problem.

    > : [rootreadme /]; df -k
    > Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
    > /dev/md/dsk/d0 1489367 1136993 292800 80% /
    > /dev/md/dsk/d3 1489367 281659 1148134 20% /var
    > /dev/md/dsk/d5 9272769 4798168 4381874 53% /news
    > /dev/vx/dsk/trimmdg/newslog
    > 1048576 88954 899700 9% /news/log
    > /dev/vx/dsk/a1000dg/tradspool
    > 2097152 214854 1764753 11%[/ref]
    /news/spool/articles
    /news/spool/overview

    Thanks for the df output, helps alot.

    > how important is uptime and old news? in our setup, everything is
    > stored redundantly except logs and overview. if (when) the overview
    > disk crashes, we will experience ~12 hour downtime while it rebuilds.
    > [/ref]
    >
    > yes, but I like to have overview on a separate spindle.[/ref]

    I realized i have a small UltraSCSI disk case that can hold 12 disks, that
    should be sufficient.
    On random I/O reads the Stripe and Raid-5 is comparable. On random I/O
    writes the stripe is superior to Raid-5. What type of I/O operation is the
    overview mostly used for? Is Raid-5 bad idea on the overview?

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  3. #3

    "Juhana Siren" <fi> wrote in message

    > Ooooooooooooh yes. *Lots* of inodes. We (at work, a biggish telco/ISP)
    > had a several hours' news outage this summer due to the spool
    > filesystem running out of inodes. We had to recreate the fs with more
    > inodes. We added disks in the system while we were at it :)
    >
    > Also *do* have a separate log filesystem and *do* have lots of space
    > there and *please* rotate the logs, or inn will eventually complain
    > it's got no space and refuse to cooperate. You don't want to fill up
    > the root filesystem. inn is a bit claustrofobic: it likes to have
    > plenty of space around it.

    > Besides, you can't afford to back up any sort of a significant news
    > spool if you have a single alt.bin* group there :)

    > Which you will want to consider *very* carefully. Hint: first pick the
    > important (to your site) non-binary hierarchies and groups that
    > actually contain something useful. Set their expiry policies. Then set
    > the policy of the other non-binary hierarchies to something sensible.
    > Then give the binary groups whatever space is left over :)
    >
    > Seriously, if you accept binary groups, you'll want to expire them by
    > size (==give them a fixed amount of space), not by time (==keep each
    > article a fixed amount of time), or give them the leftover space
    > (==whatever is left after storing the other groups, which means no
    > storage is guaranteed).
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for the input, alt.binary* is not a part of those 2000 newsgroups
    made avalible to users.
    Im thinking the layout should be like this. The internal 36GB disks will
    containt root filesystem, and inn itself and news/log. The extra disk rack
    has 6 36GB disk, that will contain /news/spool/articles ,
    /news/spool/overview.

    Root filesystem will be mirrored. The rest is striped except overview that
    will be Raid-5, since if a disk crashes i do not want to rebuild it.

    Tommy Fallsen
    ******

    Tommy Guest

  4. #4

    Tommy Fallsen <com> wrote:

    Hardware or software RAID-5? Software RAID-5 and a news spool do not go
    together well at all, due to all the small writes. Hardware RAID-5 is
    a maybe, depending on the load/cache size/etc

    Other than that, lots (and lots) of i-nodes as others have mentioned,
    and make sure you turn on UFS logging. Whatever you read, do NOT enable
    "noatime" on the filesystem - there's a known issue with using UFS
    logging + noatime at the moment which should be fixed shortly. In the
    interum logging only will give better performance than noatime only, so go
    with that.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  5. #5

    In article <fi>,
    Juhana Siren <fi> writes:

    > Ooooooooooooh yes. *Lots* of inodes.[/ref]

    I use 2048 bytes/inode when doing newfs of a newsspool with
    no binaries.

    If I notice the average article size growing above around 4k,
    then that's a good indication there are binaries in some of
    the newsgroups I'm picking up. (Use df -k and df -oi to work
    out the average filesize on the filesystem.)

    I don't take binaries on our newsservers, but if I did, I
    would use a CNFS spool for them alone rather than the tradspool.

    I use CNFS spool on our transit newserver (no readers, no
    overview, just peer connections), which makes it self-expiring
    and keeps a disk full of articles. (Still have to expire history
    database though.)

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    "Tommy Fallsen" <com> writes:

    That sounds pretty reasonable. Again, see that you create enough
    inodes in the spool.

    --
    ****** Juhana Siren ***** fi ***** OH8HTH (2 m, 70 cm) ******
    --Buddhist at a hot dog stand: "Make me one with everything."--

  7. #7

    demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    >> Ooooooooooooh yes. *Lots* of inodes.[/ref]
    >
    >I use 2048 bytes/inode when doing newfs of a newsspool with
    >no binaries.
    >
    >If I notice the average article size growing above around 4k,
    >then that's a good indication there are binaries in some of
    >the newsgroups I'm picking up.[/ref]

    Naah. Loads of morons posting HTML with OE.

    Huge Guest

  8. #8

    "Scott Howard" <net.au> wrote in message
    news:.. [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    the

    > Hardware or software RAID-5? Software RAID-5 and a news spool do not go
    > together well at all, due to all the small writes. Hardware RAID-5 is
    > a maybe, depending on the load/cache size/etc
    >
    > Other than that, lots (and lots) of i-nodes as others have mentioned,
    > and make sure you turn on UFS logging. Whatever you read, do NOT enable
    > "noatime" on the filesystem - there's a known issue with using UFS
    > logging + noatime at the moment which should be fixed shortly. In the
    > interum logging only will give better performance than noatime only, so go
    > with that.
    >
    > Scott[/ref]

    Im going to use Soalris 9 8/03, does it have the UFS logging + noatime
    problem?

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  9. #9

    demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    That's reasonable, although 1024 b/inode would be my choice. Just to
    be on the safe side :)