Professional Web Applications Themes

Newsgroup respondents - Windows XP/2000/ME

Fred , MS-MVP or MVP is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional see [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url] The Microsoft MVP Program The Microsoft MVP Program is a worldwide award and recognition program that strives to identify amazing individuals in technical communities around the globe who share a passion for technology and the spirit of community. Microsoft MVPs are recognized for both their demonstrated practical expertise and willingness to share their experience with peers in Microsoft technical communities. What is the Microsoft MVP award? The Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) Award is an annual award that is given to outstanding members of Microsoft's peer-to-peer communities. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Newsgroup respondents

    Fred ,

    MS-MVP or MVP is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    see [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    The Microsoft MVP Program
    The Microsoft MVP Program is a worldwide award and recognition program that
    strives to identify amazing individuals in technical communities around the
    globe who share a passion for technology and the spirit of community.
    Microsoft MVPs are recognized for both their demonstrated practical
    expertise and willingness to share their experience with peers in Microsoft
    technical communities.

    What is the Microsoft MVP award?
    The Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) Award is an annual award that
    is given to outstanding members of Microsoft's peer-to-peer communities.

    Why does the award exist?
    Microsoft believes that a robust, interactive user community is key to
    helping customers maximize the solutions and benefits from their software
    investments. The MVP Award is the way Microsoft recognizes those
    participants who have made a highly positive impact in the technical and
    product communities they participate in. Microsoft wants community
    participants and leaders to know that their contributions are greatly
    appreciated. The MVP Award exists as a way to reach out to and thank
    outstanding members for their past participation and willingness to help
    others in these communities.

    (MSFT - is a Microsoft employee)
    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Fred Hoffman" <fshoffgte.net> wrote in message
    > What does the designation "mvps.org" or "MS-MVP" mean in
    > the address of a respondent to a newsgroup posting?

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] Guest

  2. #2

    Hi, Fred.

    Mike and Michael gave you the formal answers. Now, how about a little
    personal perspective. ;<)

    I got my first computer (a TRS-80) in 1977, and was online (with a 300-baud
    acoustic modem with "mouse-ears") with BBSes and CompuServe by 1979. Those
    early Bulletin Board Systems were the first equivalents of today's
    newsgroups - or the Communities, as Microsoft calls them when reached
    through the Web-based interface, as you did. We were all exploring this new
    frontier of personal computing - and we all were having pioneer-type
    problems. (We all "had arrows in our backs".) Nobody in our town knew the
    answers to our problems, so we posted our questions on a BBS and hoped some
    kind, experienced soul would post back an answer, or at least some clues.
    Even some commiseration was more than we could get from our non-computer
    friends.

    To compress 25 years of progress in online help systems, let's jump ahead to
    the mid-1990s, when the Internet got going good. Netscape and Outlook
    Express gave us a way to contact News Servers and the Usenet. These were
    very much like the old BBSes. Many were public; some were - and still are -
    run by companies like ATI and Creative Labs. Even the proprietary
    newsgroups were primarily peer-to-peer - just users helping each other. The
    Microsoft public news server got going along with the first public IE/OE in
    Win95.

    My personal experience was a more-or-less seamless migration to the
    newsgroups. As in the BBS and the Forums on CompuServe, I spent a lot of
    time "lurking" - just "reading over the shoulders" of the other posters.
    Now and then I would post a question of my own, or post an answer (a good
    one, I hoped) or a comment to an existing thread. I subscribed to a dozen
    or more newsgroups, including several on this MS public server.

    A couple of years ago, an MS employee sent me an email inviting me to become
    a Microsoft MVP. He said they had noticed that I had been posting messages
    for a long time, and that most of the messages were accurate and helpful.
    At first, I demurred. I said I had 3 worries: that my posts would carry
    more weight than they deserved, since there was no examination or other
    qualification process involved; that it might seem that I was speaking FOR
    Microsoft, which I certainly am not; and that I would be committed to more
    time than I was willing to spend. He assured me that I could qualify my
    remarks to indicate the limits on my expertise, that I was free to speak my
    own mind and to criticize MS when I felt it advisable, and that I was not
    committed to any specific participation level. In other words, the MVP
    award was appreciation for my past partiticipation, with the hope - but not
    any obligation - to continue doing what I would probably do anyhow.

    So, I accepted the award. For a while, I did not add MVP to my Sig, for the
    reasons I just mentioned. Now, I do include the MVP designation. The
    program has gained respect, thanks to the MVPs who came before me - and the
    new ones being added each year. I was most impressed at the MVP Summit in
    Seattle in February, 2003. Of about 1300 MVPs worldwide, half of them were
    there, and half of the attendees were from outside the USA. What a
    worldwide community this is! And MS executives (from Bill and Steve on
    down) participated and often said Thank You to us. Now I'm proud and happy
    to identify myself as a Microsoft MVP. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Fred Hoffman" <fshoffgte.net> wrote in message
    > What does the designation "mvps.org" or "MS-MVP" mean in
    > the address of a respondent to a newsgroup posting?

    R. C. White Guest