Professional Web Applications Themes

Newspaper page layout in browser - Web Design

Hello, I've been trying to figure out how the columnar newspaper page layout is achieved in web pages, say at [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] or [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] . With the solid vertical & horizontal delimiting lines (unlike the border="n" as in tables) solid colored headlines background etc. It doesn't seem as if done with regular tables, is it CSS-Based Tableless layouts, or just floating boxes ?? Thanks! -- Adam -- Pl. Reply to Group...

  1. #1

    Default Newspaper page layout in browser

    Hello,

    I've been trying to figure out how the columnar newspaper page layout is
    achieved in web pages, say at [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] or
    [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] . With the solid vertical & horizontal
    delimiting lines (unlike the border="n" as in tables) solid colored
    headlines background etc. It doesn't seem as if done with regular
    tables, is it CSS-Based Tableless layouts, or just floating boxes ??

    Thanks!

    -- Adam --
    Pl. Reply to Group

    Adam Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newspaper page layout in browser

    "Adam Smith" <adamsmithecon.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to figure out how the columnar newspaper page layout is
    > achieved in web pages, say at [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] or
    > [url]http://home.netscape.com/[/url] . With the solid vertical & horizontal
    > delimiting lines (unlike the border="n" as in tables) solid colored
    > headlines background etc. It doesn't seem as if done with regular
    > tables, is it CSS-Based Tableless layouts, or just floating boxes ??
    Honestly now, did you really think you'd get anything but drivel by posting
    this to MS Publisher newsgroups?
    Those folks have barely conquered the timetable for the short bus...

    --
    Karl Core

    At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

    EightNineThree Guest

  3. #3

    Adam hmmmm talk about a rude, inconsiderate and lazy person cross posting to
    so many newsgroups.

    I was going to tell you how. Obviously with your attitude, you really have
    no need or desire to really want this information.

    --

    °°°MS°Publisher°°° Guest

  4. #4

    EightNineThree star morons with low to negligible mental capacity like you
    should not be allowed to have internet connections to annoy the average and
    intelligent, or should be on a special network for mentally challenged and
    mental defectives.

    --

    °°°MS°Publisher°°° Guest

  5. #5

    °°°MS°Publisher°°° wrote:
    > ... or should be on a special network for
    > mentally challenged and mental defectives.
    out of order, my friend. that sort of nonsense can only alienate you and
    destroy the credibility of any other points you may wish to promote
    --
    William Tasso - [url]http://WilliamTasso.com[/url]

    William Tasso Guest

  6. #6

    William you are obviously a first week newbie on the scene.

    Please stay in the kindergarten area of the Internet for the first few
    years.

    --

    °°°MS°Publisher°°° Guest

  7. #7

    hmmmmmmmmm! you must be correct, a clear case of "The lights being on,
    but nobody is at home". Your address says it all, at least you have
    accomplished some level of literary skills.

  8. #8

    "°°°MS°Publisher°°°" <donotknocknobodyhome.com> wrote in message
    > Adam hmmmm talk about a rude, inconsiderate and lazy person cross posting
    > so many newsgroups.
    >
    > I was going to tell you how. Obviously with your attitude, you really
    have
    > no need or desire to really want this information.
    When you've figured out how to quote the person you're responding to, we'll
    let you back in the discussion.

  9. #9

    > EightNineThree star morons with low to negligible mental capacity like you
    > should not be allowed to have internet connections to annoy the average
    and
    > intelligent, or should be on a special network for mentally challenged and
    > mental defectives.
    Way to go there, Mr Run-on Sentence.
    I found a good site for you. [url]http://tinyurl.com/r51f[/url]

  10. #10

    > William you are obviously a first week newbie on the scene.
    >
    > Please stay in the kindergarten area of the Internet for the first few
    > years.

    Indicator #1 that we're really dealing with a winner: Their only arguments
    are moronic ad-hominem attacks.
    I guess thats what happens when your screen name is "MS Publisher".

  11. #11

    Adam,

    Sorry that your question got lost in the noise. Looking at the source
    code for the Netscape page, it seems that there is defined in the
    stylesheet a class for the divisions that hold the lines of text. I
    suppose that this class includes some border definitions.

    I looked at the site you suggested, hoping to find there an example of
    newspaper (balanced) columns, but no such luck. Anyone want to reveal
    how one achieves that in CSS? That is, a body of text is distributed
    among several columns so that the length of all the columns
    automatically remains equal as the amount of text changes.

    --
    Haines Brown
    [email]brownhhartford-hwp.com[/email]

    brownh@langhans.hartford-hwp.com Guest

  12. #12

    [email]brownhlanghans.hartford-hwp.com[/email] wrote:
    > Adam,
    >
    > Sorry that your question got lost in the noise. Looking at the source
    > code for the Netscape page, it seems that there is defined in the
    > stylesheet a class for the divisions that hold the lines of text. I
    > suppose that this class includes some border definitions.
    >
    > I looked at the site you suggested, hoping to find there an example of
    > newspaper (balanced) columns, but no such luck. Anyone want to reveal
    > how one achieves that in CSS? That is, a body of text is distributed
    > among several columns so that the length of all the columns
    > automatically remains equal as the amount of text changes.

    Go look at Int'l Herald Tribune, e.g.
    [url]http://www.iht.com/articles/113873.html[/url]
    As you see from the source code, they're using some nifty javascript
    that makes the columns flow as you change the browser window width/height.

    HTH

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bml2vv$pbp$1ngspool-d02.news.aol.com> in
    comp.infosystems.[url]www.authoring.site-design[/url], EightNineThree
    <uceftc.gov> wrote:
    >Honestly now, did you really think you'd get anything but drivel by posting
    >this to MS Publisher newsgroups?
    >Those folks have barely conquered the timetable for the short bus...
    In article <bmm1el$34e$1ngspool-d02.news.aol.com> in
    <uceftc.gov> wrote:
    >"°°°MS°Publisher°°°" <donotknocknobodyhome.com> wrote in message
    >> William you are obviously a first week newbie on the scene.
    >> Please stay in the kindergarten area of the Internet for the first few
    >> years.
    >
    >Indicator #1 that we're really dealing with a winner: Their only arguments
    >are moronic ad-hominem attacks.
    A plague on both your houses. As Chateubriand said, "Cet animal est
    très méchant: / Quand on l'attaque, il se défend."

    [url]http://OakRoadSystems.com/[/url]
    HTML 4.01 spec: [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/[/url]
    validator: [url]http://validator.w3.org/[/url]
    CSS 2 spec: [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/[/url]
    2.1 changes: [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html[/url]
    validator: [url]http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/[/url]
    Stan Brown Guest

  14. #14

    In article <m3ptgxxs70.fsflanghans.hartford-hwp.com> in
    <brownhlanghans.hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
    >Anyone want to reveal
    >how one achieves that in CSS? That is, a body of text is distributed
    >among several columns so that the length of all the columns
    >automatically remains equal as the amount of text chang
    Can't be done in CSS1 or CSS2.

    And it's a logical problem: Flowing newspaper columns in this way
    makes sense only in media that have the concept of a "page", which
    screens don't. Sure, there's a PageDown key, but there's also
    scrolling by any amount, and even the window itself can be resized.