Professional Web Applications Themes

Newsreader for OS X - Mac Applications & Software

I would like to know this. I just got a g4 PB, and I love the machine. But I really need a great newsreader. Agent for Windows is by far the best out there. J On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:16:50 GMT, Jerry Gardner <jg2-usenetgardnerclan.net> wrote: >Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on >Windows systems? > >I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like >their interfaces....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Newsreader for OS X

    I would like to know this. I just got a g4 PB, and I love the machine.
    But I really need a great newsreader. Agent for Windows is by far the
    best out there.

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:16:50 GMT, Jerry Gardner
    <jg2-usenetgardnerclan.net> wrote:
    >Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on
    >Windows systems?
    >
    >I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like
    >their interfaces.
    J Guest

  2. #2

    In article <uutjgv8prqj4i1a77s80f8lpcidkugt2oo4ax.com>,
    <cyllanpobox.com> wrote:
    > I would like to know this. I just got a g4 PB, and I love the machine.
    > But I really need a great newsreader. Agent for Windows is by far the
    > best out there.

    You're just trying to start a fest, right? What newsreader is
    "best" is a religious subject -- highly subjective and emotionally
    charged. There are those who think Agent is best, others swear by XNews
    or Gravity. Still others will insist that it's emacs, Thoth,
    MT-Newswatcher, Hogwasher, MacSoup, rn, slrn, trn, or what have you.
    There are even some (emotionally disturbed?) individuals who claim that
    Outlook Express is their favorite.

    Personally, when I was on a PC, I didn't care much for Agent,
    preferring XNews. On the Mac, I like Thoth -- it has a somewhat steep
    learning curve, but it can do everything I want it to do, does it well,
    and is highly scriptable besides.

    A lot of it depends upon what you've become accustomed to using and how
    open you are to learning different ways of doing things.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but I really am satified with
    Netscapes newsreader (currently using Netscape 7.1. I tried some of the
    mentioned newsreader and prefer Netscape. It's stable for me.

    Jerry Gardner wrote:
    > Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on
    > Windows systems?
    >
    > I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like
    > their interfaces.

    George Guest

  4. #4

    Jerry Gardner <jg2-usenetgardnerclan.net> writes:

    > Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews
    > on Windows systems?
    I don't know anything about these programs, so I can't tell you what
    may be like them, but....
    > I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't
    > like their interfaces.
    I use three different programs on my system:

    - Gnus. Runs in the GNU Emacs environment. MacOS X comes with a
    text-mode Emacs that runs in a Terminal window. If you compile a
    GUI-mode version of Emacs (native MacOS or X11), Gnus will also run
    in there. Note, however, that Gnus is a text-mode news reader - if
    you like seeing inline images and stuff like that in your news,
    look elsewhere.

    If text-based news reading is OK, seriously consider Gnus. It is
    infinitely customizable using Emacs-LISP code.

    - trn. This is like an old friend if you've been using UNIX for a
    long time. Text-mode only, and only runs in the Terminal
    environment. But it has some features I've never seen anywhere
    else (like displaying a tree view of a message-reply chain that you
    can navigate with arrow keys.)

    - Mozilla. It's news interface is very similar to Netscape's. You
    probably know what to expect from it already.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:16:50 -0500, Jerry Gardner wrote
    (in message <Xns93B19B6EF68Cjg2gclannet10.1.1.7>):
    > Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on
    > Windows systems?
    >
    > I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like
    > their interfaces.

    I used to use Agent and when I switched back to Mac I tried all the
    newsreaders hoping to find something similar. The closest I've found is
    Hogwasher. It is not an exact match by any means, but I like the fact that
    it hangs onto read articles and displays them in the thread tree.

    BTW: The Graphical Thread Tree in Hogwasher is indispensible (IMO) once you
    become used to it.

    [url]http://www.asar.com[/url]

    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX

    Bill Tschumy Guest

  6. #6

    In article <MPG.1974037c762b5d1c989892news-server>,
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Just_Annutha_Dewd?= <noway.josť> wrote:
    > NewsHunter
    I tried that, however after 3 hours it still was not finished reading a
    newsgroup!

    --
    Ciao,
    Antonio

  7. #7

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:36:07 -0400, Rodney J <noneall.edu> wrote:
    >In article
    ><0001HW.BB2F847B01A4FDB2F0101600news.houston.sbc global.net>,
    > Bill Tschumy <billotherwise.com> wrote:
    >Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    >Sounds like a bug, not a feature. If you want "features" like that just
    >use a crappy browser news app.
    To follow the thread a little easier. In agent, when a thread gets a
    reply, agent shows the entire thread. The thread has the indent threads
    so seeing a previous message in the thread is simple.

    If a thread doesn't have a reply in it, then the messages of the thread
    are not shown.

    J Guest

  8. #8

    In article <0001HW.BB30FAA9077E1F52F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:36:07 +1000, Rodney J wrote
    > (in message
    > <none-9966A9.07360708072003dreader2.atl.newshosting.com >):
    >
    > > In article
    > > <0001HW.BB2F847B01A4FDB2F0101600news.houston.sbcg lobal.net>,
    > > Bill Tschumy <billotherwise.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> It is not an exact match by any means, but I like the fact that
    > >> it hangs onto read articles and displays them in the thread tree.
    > >
    > > Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    >
    > Case in point: to ensure my memory serves me correctly when it
    > suggests the above is in reference to Hogwasher.
    I like Thoth's approach to this difficulty: "Open Last Reference".

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest

  9. #9

    In article <none-9966A9.07360708072003dreader2.atl.newshosting.com >,
    Rodney J <noneall.edu> wrote:
    > Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    Simply, it happens often that ypu read a thread and then think 'I want
    reread an earlier article'. Apps like macsoup remove an article directly
    when you read it and skip to another message.
    > crappy browser news app.
    Only in your minde!

    --
    Ciao,
    Antonio

  10. #10

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 6:36:07 -0500, Rodney J wrote
    (in message <none-9966A9.07360708072003dreader2.atl.newshosting.com >):
    > In article
    > <0001HW.BB2F847B01A4FDB2F0101600news.houston.sbcg lobal.net>,
    > Bill Tschumy <billotherwise.com> wrote:
    >
    >> It is not an exact match by any means, but I like the fact that
    >> it hangs onto read articles and displays them in the thread tree.
    >
    > Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    > Sounds like a bug, not a feature. If you want "features" like that just
    > use a crappy browser news app.
    Others have already replied with some good reasons. There is another that I
    find very compelling. Often if I'm busy, after reading what appears to be
    the most interesting articles, I'll mark the rest as read. The next day I
    might have more time. If I see a thread is generating a lot of traffic and
    the title is mildly interesting, I'll go back and read it. It is nice to see
    graphically how the previously skipped articles fit into the current ones and
    click on them to read them as I want.

    Not a bug by any means, but a very important feature.

    BTW: in the article list (not the graphical thread tree) you can choose to
    see all articles, only read ones, only unread ones... I generally have this
    set to show only the unread ones.

  11. #11

    Rodney J <noneall.edu> wrote:
    > Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    > Sounds like a bug, not a feature.
    Man, is that ever a desirable feature! I use it (in MacSoup) often.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  12. #12

    Antonio wrote:
    >> NewsHunter
    >
    > I tried that, however after 3 hours it still was not finished reading a
    > newsgroup!
    Good point, and one I didn't state in my original post. My local news
    server retains articles for years (200 GB disks are nice!), and any given
    group may have 90,000 articles in it. Some of the Mac news readers I've
    tried take almost forever to sort and thread an article list that large.

    Halime is a good example of this. It takes almost 15 minutes to sort and
    thread a large news group on my machine. (By way of contrast, XNews on my
    WinXP machine takes 2-3 seconds to sort and thread the same news group.)

    In addition to a news reader that more closely resembles Agent, XNews, or
    Gravity, I need one that performs reasonably well.

    --
    Jerry Gardner
    [email]jg2-usenetgardnerclan.net[/email]

  13. #13

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 0:23:33 +1000, Gerry Scott-Moore wrote
    (in message <080720030723336504%222gggadelphia.net.invalid> ):
    > In article <0001HW.BB30FAA9077E1F52F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    > Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:36:07 +1000, Rodney J wrote
    >> (in message
    >> <none-9966A9.07360708072003dreader2.atl.newshosting.com >):
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <0001HW.BB2F847B01A4FDB2F0101600news.houston.sbcg lobal.net>,

    >>> Why in the world would you want to see articles you've already read?
    >>
    >> Case in point: to ensure my memory serves me correctly when it
    >> suggests the above is in reference to Hogwasher.
    >
    > I like Thoth's approach to this difficulty: "Open Last Reference".
    I've not used Thoth [or even looked], the above sounds as though it
    might be a bit bersome in large threads (though a reasonable
    approach i most cirstances), and I wonder how it would work when
    the last ref'd article is missing:

    [url]http://members.ozemail.com.au/~martincrisp/Hogwasher.jpg[/url]

    Have Fun
    Martin

    Martin Crisp Guest

  14. #14

    In article <0001HW.BB318B6807A00C07F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    > I've not used Thoth [or even looked], the above sounds as though it
    > might be a bit bersome in large threads (though a reasonable
    > approach i most cirstances), and I wonder how it would work when
    > the last ref'd article is missing:
    Nothing bersome about it; looking at it would demonstrate, but
    you're happy where you are so it's of no import.

    It's not the only reason I use the program. There are 40 or 50 other
    reasons. And I have looked at Hogwasher.

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest

  15. #15

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:21:23 +1000, Gerry Scott-Moore wrote
    (in message <080720031721236532%222gggadelphia.net.invalid> ):
    > In article <0001HW.BB318B6807A00C07F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    > Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >> I've not used Thoth [or even looked], the above sounds as though it
    >> might be a bit bersome in large threads (though a reasonable
    >> approach i most cirstances), and I wonder how it would work when
    >> the last ref'd article is missing:
    >
    > Nothing bersome about it; looking at it would demonstrate, but
    > you're happy where you are so it's of no import.
    Well, on the whole (it's a little crash-happy for me at times)

    > It's not the only reason I use the program. There are 40 or 50 other
    > reasons. And I have looked at Hogwasher.
    Fair enough.

    Have Fun
    Martin
    --
    aa #1792

    Almost always SMASHed

    Martin Crisp Guest

  16. #16

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:41:36 +1000, Gerry Scott-Moore wrote
    (in message <080720031941360753%222gggadelphia.net.invalid> ):
    > In article <0001HW.BB31A54707A61C5AF0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    > Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:21:23 +1000, Gerry Scott-Moore wrote
    >> (in message <080720031721236532%222gggadelphia.net.invalid> ):
    [...]
    >>> Nothing bersome about it; looking at it would demonstrate, but
    >>> you're happy where you are so it's of no import.
    >>
    >> Well, on the whole (it's a little crash-happy for me at times)
    >
    > That sounds like *really* bad luck, if you've neither used or looked at
    > it.
    LOL. Of course I was referring to the 'happy where you are'.

    Have Fun
    Martin

    Martin Crisp Guest

  17. #17

    J <cyllanpobox.com> writes:

    > To follow the thread a little easier. In agent, when a thread gets
    > a reply, agent shows the entire thread. The thread has the indent
    > threads so seeing a previous message in the thread is simple.
    That sounds a bit like the sp threads feature of Gnus.

    When reading messages, place holders appear in the thread tree that
    correspond with all messages referred to in the References header.
    But the headers for those messages are not downloaded until you
    actually go to read one. So you can see the prior messages, but you
    don't waste the time to download the headers and you don't waste disk
    space caching messages you probably won't read again.
    > If a thread doesn't have a reply in it, then the messages of the
    > thread are not shown.
    This also sounds like Netscape's option to "show threads with unread"
    in the summary window. But Netscape does it by caching message
    headers, which consumes disk space that must periodically be cleaned
    up.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  18. #18

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 9:05:44 +1000, Martin Crisp
    <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    >On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 0:23:33 +1000, Gerry Scott-Moore wrote
    >(in message <080720030723336504%222gggadelphia.net.invalid> ):
    >
    >> In article <0001HW.BB30FAA9077E1F52F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    >> Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:36:07 +1000, Rodney J wrote
    >>> (in message
    >>> <none-9966A9.07360708072003dreader2.atl.newshosting.com >):

    >>> Case in point: to ensure my memory serves me correctly when it
    >>> suggests the above is in reference to Hogwasher.
    >>
    >> I like Thoth's approach to this difficulty: "Open Last Reference".
    >
    >I've not used Thoth [or even looked], the above sounds as though it
    >might be a bit bersome in large threads (though a reasonable
    >approach i most cirstances), and I wonder how it would work when
    >the last ref'd article is missing:
    >
    >[url]http://members.ozemail.com.au/~martincrisp/Hogwasher.jpg[/url]
    >
    >Have Fun
    >Martin
    I came from the PC (Agent) and absolutely HATED all the MAC
    newsreaders... I was told to give Thoth a good "try"... after about a
    week I began to actually like it. I've tried them all and Thoth does
    everything I want (decode binaries) and after awhile it became easy to
    use and I love it. I also still LOVE Agent (am using it now on my PC)
    - too bad we can't get Agent for the Mac, but Thoth is the best in my
    opinion for binary files and fine for reading posts too.
    italiano Guest

  19. #19

    Jerry Gardner wrote:
    > Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on
    > Windows systems?
    >
    > I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like
    > their interfaces.
    Guys, I know exactly how you feel and what you need :-) I had been looking
    for a good newsreader for a year, not believing that there wasn't a single
    outstanding one. I tried them all, and they all more or less s*cked. Some
    had promise but were unstable, others didn't even had promise.

    Then I found 2 newsreaders that had everything I wanted; full-featured,
    mature, stable. If you liked FreeAgent, I think you'll love them. They're
    X11 apps, so they don't quite look like Aqua apps, but hey, there's really
    no alternative.

    They're PAN (has been mentioned before in this thread) and KNode (my
    favorite). If you want to try them, you'll need to install quite a few
    programs once (Developer Tools and stuff). It might be confusing if you've
    never done this (I know it was for me), but I can send you a simple
    walkthrough that should get you going in no time.

    My solution requires Jaguar though, being dependent on Apple's X11
    implementation.

    Drop me a note if you want the walkthrough and want to enjoy 2 first-class
    newsreaders!

    tom
    Thomas Beck Guest

  20. #20

    In article <3f0c5249_2news.bluewin.ch>, Thomas Beck <mailtombeck.com>
    wrote:
    > Jerry Gardner wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know of a newsreader for Mac OS X that is like Agent or XNews on
    > > Windows systems?
    > >
    > > I've tried MT-NewsWatcher, Halime, Thoth, and others, and I don't like
    > > their interfaces.
    >
    > Guys, I know exactly how you feel and what you need :-) I had been looking
    > for a good newsreader for a year, not believing that there wasn't a single
    > outstanding one. I tried them all, and they all more or less s*cked. Some
    > had promise but were unstable, others didn't even had promise.
    >
    > Then I found 2 newsreaders that had everything I wanted; full-featured,
    > mature, stable. If you liked FreeAgent, I think you'll love them. They're
    > X11 apps, so they don't quite look like Aqua apps, but hey, there's really
    > no alternative.
    >
    > They're PAN (has been mentioned before in this thread) and KNode (my
    > favorite). If you want to try them, you'll need to install quite a few
    > programs once (Developer Tools and stuff). It might be confusing if you've
    > never done this (I know it was for me), but I can send you a simple
    > walkthrough that should get you going in no time.
    >
    > My solution requires Jaguar though, being dependent on Apple's X11
    > implementation.
    >
    > Drop me a note if you want the walkthrough and want to enjoy 2 first-class
    > newsreaders!
    What is it that PAN and KNode have/do that all the others don't?

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast