Professional Web Applications Themes

Newswatcher AND firewalls - Mac Applications & Software

I'd like to use a better news server than what AOL offers. Unfortunately my organization blocks port 119. From what I understand Newswatcher CANNOT access News behind a firewall, unless I go to the advanced setting of the Internet Control Panel and setup a proxy through SOCKS 4. What that requires based on what I know is access to a proxy server, which I do not have. My Windows News client allows me to change port numbers, and the NNTP server will allow me to access news from behind a firewall if I change it to a port that is ...

  1. #1

    Default Newswatcher AND firewalls

    I'd like to use a better news server than what AOL offers. Unfortunately my
    organization blocks port 119. From what I understand Newswatcher CANNOT access
    News behind a firewall, unless I go to the advanced setting of the Internet
    Control Panel and setup a proxy through SOCKS 4. What that requires based on
    what I know is access to a proxy server, which I do not have.

    My Windows News client allows me to change port numbers, and the NNTP server
    will allow me to access news from behind a firewall if I change it to a port
    that is open and I've already performed a trick from the Windows PC to see
    which ports are open.

    I use MT Newswatcher 3.1 for Mac, which runs on my desktop. I am worried I
    will only be able to access News from my Windows portable, which does not offer
    all the features of Newswatcher.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newswatcher AND firewalls

    Crucifyself03 <comnojunk> wrote:

    Ain't this interesting? Mr. Wolf caps off years of trolling with his
    recent round of deception, lies and abuse, and now he wants our help in
    keeping him in the Usenet? Fred Cheung, you're a prince among men for
    giving him advice.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    Bev A. Kupf <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    Bev, you've got my nomination for sainthood for helping this guy after
    what he's done for you. It would be one of the all time great ironies
    if you're the one who keeps him in the Usenet when, if he'd had his way,
    you would no longer have access yourself.

    [Something clicks]

    Oh, wait a minute, that's precisely why you're doing it, isn't it? I
    like your style!

    Oh yeah, I definitely like your style.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Crucifyself03 Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    >This part of your post is highly unlikely and possibly nonsense. The only

    Try terraNews.

    I do know that they block incoming and outgoing traffic on port 119. This is
    so easy to setup using my Windows client, I thus change the port number to port
    23 or whatever port they told me to use.

    I like the Mac and want to stick with it.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  6. #6

    Mike do you know what the word shut up means? I have done nothing and you can
    on bashing me. Just shut up okay?

    I am trying to avoid you, but you keep on pressing my buttons. I even admited I
    was wrong. You like this reaction. Please just leave me alone, unless you can
    contribute. Please I am asking you...

    >Bev, you've got my nomination for sainthood for helping this guy after
    >what he's done for you. It would be one of the all time great ironies
    >if you're the one who keeps him in the Usenet when, if he'd had his way,
    >you would no longer have access yourself.
    >
    >[Something clicks]
    >
    >Oh, wait a minute, that's precisely why you're doing it, isn't it? I
    >like your style!

    >Oh yeah, I definitely like your style.
    >
    >--
    >Mike Rosenberg
    >
    ><http://www.macconsult.com>
    ><http://bogart-tribute.net>
    >

    >[/ref]

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Frederick Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    On 4 Aug 2003, Crucifyself03 wrote:

    > I apoligize. Thanks I did not know I can do it this way.
    >
    > servername:portnumber
    >
    > I just do not understand why the Mac version does not have an easy to see port
    > field option, like the Windows client I have.[/ref]

    This is a standard way of writing port/servername combinations, not just
    on Mac OS 8/9/X but on most other platforms (sometimes the notation
    servername port is also used, for example if you use telnet), it's also
    the way to specify port numbers in URLs etc.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  9. #9

    >This is a standard way of writing port/servername combinations, not just

    I understand Telnet. But other News & FTP clients at least on the Windows side
    I have used always had a port number field. It makes it easier if you did not
    know how to change the port number the way you need to do it with Newswatcher.
    But thanks for the tips.

    The two mac FTP clients that I own do not allow an easy way to change the FTP
    port from port 21, unlike the two FTP cleints that I own for my PC which both
    offer an easy way to change the port number from port 21.

    This makes it all the more difficult using a Mac, when firewalls block port 21.
    I know I can setup a proxy, but that seems to be a lot more difficult then
    thus clicking on the port number field and changing it to another port, like
    what can easily be done on many Windows FTP clients.

    Perhaps many Mac OSX FTP clients do not have such limitations.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  10. #10

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    Do you realize that that has nothing to do with the underlying OS?
    Appending a colon and number to the address is the standard way of
    specifying a port number.

    They don't let you append a colon and a number to the address?

    By the way, Fetch 4.0.3 (I don't know whether this is true for earlier
    versions) has a field to enter the port number, as you describe your
    Windows programs letting you do. What FTP clients for the Mac do you
    own?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:08:02 -0500, Crucifyself03 wrote
    (in message <aol.com>):

    Who died and left you in charge

    BWA-HAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAA!

    This ain't bashing, boyo.

    Nah.

    What're you gonna do if he doesn't, or if I don't, either? Cry?

    >> Bev, you've got my nomination for sainthood for helping this guy after
    >> what he's done for you. It would be one of the all time great ironies
    >> if you're the one who keeps him in the Usenet when, if he'd had his way,
    >> you would no longer have access yourself.
    >>
    >> [Something clicks]
    >>
    >> Oh, wait a minute, that's precisely why you're doing it, isn't it? I
    >> like your style!
    >>

    >> Oh yeah, I definitely like your style.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Rosenberg
    >>
    >> <http://www.macconsult.com>
    >> <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    >>

    >>[/ref]

    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
    our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.

    Charles Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:23:35 -0500, Frederick Cheung wrote
    (in message
    <srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>):

    >> I apoligize. Thanks I did not know I can do it this way.
    >>
    >> servername:portnumber
    >>
    >> I just do not understand why the Mac version does not have an easy to see
    >> port
    >> field option, like the Windows client I have.[/ref]
    >
    > This is a standard way of writing port/servername combinations, not just
    > on Mac OS 8/9/X but on most other platforms (sometimes the notation
    > servername port is also used, for example if you use telnet), it's also
    > the way to specify port numbers in URLs etc.[/ref]

    Give up, there's no doing anything with JTroll.

  13. #13

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    >>Try terraNews.[/ref]
    >

    > Could you direct me to a URL for this site? I cannot find one on Google ...
    >
    > Bev
    >[/ref]
    Mainly because he can't spell:
    http://www.teranews.com/

    --
    Papa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
    Email me through: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca/

    Papa Guest

  14. #14

    >Could you direct me to a URL for this site? I cannot find one on Google ...

    www.teranews.com
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  15. #15

    >Mainly because he can't spell:

    Actually I forgot whether it was teranews or terranews.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  16. #16

    >Do you realize that that has nothing to do with the underlying OS?

    I am sure I can add a Colon, but I do not want to. I'd prefer to get a field,
    like what MOST WINDOWS FTP apps allow. Heck, even my Windows CE Scotty FTP app
    allows it. Man, a HPC is ahead of a Mac in this regard!

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  17. #17

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    > I am sure I can add a Colon, but I do not want to. I'd prefer to get
    > a field, like what MOST WINDOWS FTP apps allow.[/ref]

    So you think that moving the mouse to another position, or tabbing to
    another field, then typing the number is easier than typing a colon and
    the number while typing the address?

    Seems that you still don't understand the difference between the OS and
    an application.

    But, as I said (quoted below), there is at least one Mac FTP program
    that lets you do this. In fact, you can do it either way; type into a
    separate field, or type in the same field, with a colon.
     [/ref]

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  18. #18

    >That's the least of our pilloried friend's problems.

    Can you ever admit that WINDOWS PC'S ARE SUPERIOR to the Macintosh for some
    applications?
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  19. #19

    On 04 Aug 2003 23:22:41 GMT,
    Crucifyself03 (comnojunk) wrote:

    > Can you ever admit that WINDOWS PC'S ARE SUPERIOR to the Macintosh for some
    > applications?[/ref]

    I don't know of any. Do you?

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  20. #20

    > I haven't seen you apologize to Bev for the malicious way you've

    She calls me a pampy baby, a smughead, and other insulting names. I will not
    hold anything against her, but no apology is needed.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast