Professional Web Applications Themes

Next Step - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi Everyone, My site is very slowly coming along. I think it is ready for the next step, which brings me to ask your advise. Please check it out [url]www.CLNews.org/[/url] and tell me any criticisms? I am learning how to use css and also to template the home page for future development. BUT! Question is, what or rather which is the next step? Make a template or make a cascading style sheet? If you suggest the css route would you please tell me the best way to get the hyper links on the home page to go red with a ...

  1. #1

    Default Next Step

    Hi Everyone,

    My site is very slowly coming along. I think it is ready
    for the next step, which brings me to ask your advise.

    Please check it out [url]www.CLNews.org/[/url]
    and tell me any criticisms?

    I am learning how to use css and also to template the
    home page for future development. BUT!

    Question is, what or rather which is the next step?

    Make a template or make a cascading style sheet?

    If you suggest the css route would you please tell
    me the best way to get the hyper links on the home
    page to go red with a mouse over. I am perplexed
    with flash text versus image rollover, or is there some
    other method? And is this done in css, or before or after
    css?

    Anyway you have a great mail list group. I do enjoy
    reading your material. Thanks for being there.

    Cheers,

    Pepe Guest

  2. #2

    ive made a layout for my website using photoshop 7. but now im not sure wat to do as the next step. i heard that you should slice the images and put them into cell tables..but what's the differences and purposes in that? ..would really appreciate some help..thnx!

    Jaded Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: next step

    Ptty *TWB* wrote:

    Not really. More images are in general bigger than a single one (each
    one has an image header and maybe color palette) and the browser has to
    send a lot more requests to the server. So slicing images would cause

    * more connections and more connection overhead
    * bloated code (lots of unnecessary <td>)

    => increased download size/time

    Using a single image with progressive encoding would be much better and
    _faster_.

    Micha
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Check out a tutorial on our site by Gavin Cromhout about Photoshop and
    Hybrid Images.
    http://www.dmxzone.com/go?5397

    We know when to optimise an image as a JPG and when to use GIF, but what
    about hybrid images, composed of areas of great colour gradient, and other
    areas with flat colour or text? In this article, Gavin Cromhout - DMXzone's
    Photoshop Yoda - shows you how to optimise hybrid images, slicing and
    optimising, locking important colours to produce a seamless reduced-size
    image.

    He explains about slicing the images and making them available for the web.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Martha Graham
    DMXzone.com

    "Ptty *TWB*" <rr.com> schreef in bericht
    > wat to do as the next step. i heard that you should slice the images and[/ref]
    put
    HTML

    Martha Guest

  5. #5

    "Michael Fesser" <net> wrote in message
    | Ptty *TWB* wrote:
    |
    | >Images are sliced and put into table cells because (1) the whole graphic
    | >would take too long to load, |
    | Not really. More images are in general bigger than a single one (each
    | one has an image header and maybe color palette) and the browser has to
    | send a lot more requests to the server. So slicing images would cause
    |
    | * more connections and more connection overhead
    | * bloated code (lots of unnecessary <td>)

    If you slice your image as cleanly as possible and export only the slices
    and not using the export html feature you will end up with clean code. If
    you are new to slicing and then use the export html feature - you will end
    up with bloated code ;) and lots of unnecessary <td>s...

    If you use the whole graphic - you are restricted to having the layout at
    the finished graphic size, - you will not be able to have a "fluid" layout.

    By slicing and inserting into dw you have control of how to layout the
    design by using tables or divs - that way "you choose" whether to have a
    fixed or fluid design.

    | => increased download size/time
    |
    | Using a single image with progressive encoding would be much better and
    | _faster_.

    Sorry - don't agree ;) Also, think about the effect this has on Search
    Engines - SE's frown on 'graphic' only pages. If you want your site to be
    found on SE's your pages need to be a mixture of graphics and text - text
    being necessary the spider food.

    --
    Nadia
    : "FREE" & Commercial NavBar Menu Sets :

    Nadia Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Michael Guest