Professional Web Applications Themes

Nicer and larger cursor: it has to be possible - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I would like to make my cursor bigger, as I have real trouble finding it. I have go to http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5533 and followed the instructions but I still have the same cursos. No change at all. Is there anything I am missing here? It is strange that it is easy to customize so many things in KDE but this seems to be more difficult, while it is one of the most natural things to change. Thanks in advance for any help. Carlos...

  1. #1

    Default Nicer and larger cursor: it has to be possible

    I would like to make my cursor bigger, as I have real trouble finding it.

    I have go to

    http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5533

    and followed the instructions but I still have the same cursos. No change at
    all.

    Is there anything I am missing here?

    It is strange that it is easy to customize so many things in KDE but this
    seems to be more difficult, while it is one of the most natural things to
    change.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Carlos
    Carlos Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nicer and larger cursor: it has to be possible

    Carlos wrote:

    Which version of XFree86 are you using ?

    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for pointing out in a new direction.

    I think I have 4.2.0.0-72

    or at least this is what I get when doing rpm -qa | grep XFree86

    XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-tools-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-devel-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-xauth-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-xdm-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-twm-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-font-utils-4.2.0-72
    XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72

    Does this tells you anything that could help ?

    Thanks

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > Which version of XFree86 are you using ?
    >[/ref]

    Carlos Guest

  4. #4

    Carlos wrote:

    Yeah. It does help. The cursors that you downloaded from kde-look.org
    utilize the XFree86 Xcursor library. As far as I can tell, it was released
    with XFree86-4.3.0:

    http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#2

    So, you will have to upgrade to XFree86-4.3.0 to make use of those cursors.

    In the mean time, you can try using the "xsetroot" command to use any bitmap
    as your cursor (see "man xsetroot").

    Hope that helps,
    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you very much. I am trying to go that direction now. I have some
    trouble finding the cursor files to be used with "xsetroot" but this looks
    like promising line.

    can you tell me if you can use xsetroot after starting kde or you need do it
    from the console before starting the program?

    Thanks a lot

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > Yeah. It does help. The cursors that you downloaded from kde-look.org
    > utilize the XFree86 Xcursor library. As far as I can tell, it was released
    > with XFree86-4.3.0:
    >
    > http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#2
    >
    > So, you will have to upgrade to XFree86-4.3.0 to make use of those
    > cursors.
    >
    > In the mean time, you can try using the "xsetroot" command to use any
    > bitmap as your cursor (see "man xsetroot").
    >
    > Hope that helps,[/ref]

    Carlos Guest

  6. #6

    I have tried xsetroot from a console window and I get no change at all. Do I
    need to do it before KDE starts? How do you do that?

    Thanks

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > Yeah. It does help. The cursors that you downloaded from kde-look.org
    > utilize the XFree86 Xcursor library. As far as I can tell, it was released
    > with XFree86-4.3.0:
    >
    > http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#2
    >
    > So, you will have to upgrade to XFree86-4.3.0 to make use of those
    > cursors.
    >
    > In the mean time, you can try using the "xsetroot" command to use any
    > bitmap as your cursor (see "man xsetroot").
    >
    > Hope that helps,[/ref]

    Carlos Guest

  7. #7

    Carlos wrote:

    You should not have to restart KDE when using xsetroot. In fact, you will
    have to run xsetroot every time through your .xsession or .xinitrc file.

    However, I just discovered another way to do similar things in KDE-3.x. Look
    under the following menu in the KDE Control Center:

    Peripherals -> Mouse

    There is an option called "Large Cursor" there. See if that works for you.

    Later,
    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  8. #8

    I tried that and it does not work. In fact, the cursor stays exactly the
    same.

    I have been able to change the mouse point outside kde, by means of changing
    the actual cursor.pcf.gz file in obscure directory in the user/X11R6,...
    etc, while this creates a larger cursor outside KDE as soon as KDE is up it
    goes back to the small cursor.

    KDE must be reading a cursor file somewhere in its loading process, there
    has to be a way to physically change that file.

    Any idea?

    thanks

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > You should not have to restart KDE when using xsetroot. In fact, you will
    > have to run xsetroot every time through your .xsession or .xinitrc file.
    >
    > However, I just discovered another way to do similar things in KDE-3.x.
    > Look under the following menu in the KDE Control Center:
    >
    > Peripherals -> Mouse
    >
    > There is an option called "Large Cursor" there. See if that works for you.
    >
    > Later,[/ref]

    Carlos Guest

  9. #9

    Carlos wrote:
    Nothing short of upgrading to XFree86-4.3.x, unfortunately. I cannot seem to
    find any simple way to make KDE applications use cursors set by xsetroot.
    The cursor fonts might be hard coded into KDE. Which version of KDE do you
    have ? Also, which distribution are you using ?

    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  10. #10

    I am using KDE 3.0.

    But I think I will follow your suggestion and upgrade XFree. I hope the gods
    are not too cruel with me and I do no run into to many problems.

    Thanks a lot

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > Nothing short of upgrading to XFree86-4.3.x, unfortunately. I cannot seem
    > to find any simple way to make KDE applications use cursors set by
    > xsetroot. The cursor fonts might be hard coded into KDE. Which version of
    > KDE do you have ? Also, which distribution are you using ?
    >[/ref]

    Carlos Guest

  11. #11

    Carlos wrote:

    :-) XFree86 4.3.0 comes with some additional goodies. Hope the upgrade goes
    without a hitch.

    Later,
    --
    CrayzeeWulf
    CrayzeeWulf Guest

  12. #12

    One last thing.

    I almost accidentally decided to create a new user account. And, guess what,
    to my surprise the new user now inherits the big pointer that I have before
    loging in as the usual user. So I had probably done something along the way
    to change the cursor type and now I do not know what it was or how to
    undone it. I wonder if I could still try to fixit without the upgrade.

    Thanks

    Carlos

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:

    > :-) XFree86 4.3.0 comes with some additional goodies. Hope the upgrade
    > :goes
    > without a hitch.
    >
    > Later,[/ref]

    Carlos Guest