Professional Web Applications Themes

Nifty shortcut for tool adjustments - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I found a reference to this shortcut while going through some Photoshop tutorials, tried it in PE2, and found that it works for me, as well. There are many tools which, in the Options bar, have a numeric value field. Quite often, this value may be changed WITHOUT clicking it. Simply type a new value on the keyboard, and the value changes. Opacity values, when present in the Options bar, seem to universally accept adjustment this way. Some tools without Opacity settings have other settings which respond, as well. For example, if I have the brush selected, and press 5, ...

  1. #1

    Default Nifty shortcut for tool adjustments

    I found a reference to this shortcut while going through some Photoshop tutorials, tried it in PE2, and found that it works for me, as well.

    There are many tools which, in the Options bar, have a numeric value field. Quite often, this value may be changed WITHOUT clicking it. Simply type a new value on the keyboard, and the value changes.

    Opacity values, when present in the Options bar, seem to universally accept adjustment this way. Some tools without Opacity settings have other settings which respond, as well.

    For example, if I have the brush selected, and press 5, the Opacity changes to 50. If I want 54, I have to type 54 quickly, to avoid getting 50, then 40. Likewise, type 100 quickly to get all three digits in.

    Again, my only experience is with PE2, on a PC, so don't know if other iterations of version/platform respond identically. I should add that not every tool responds to this method, and I don't have a comprehensive list to provide.

    If this is old news to those with more experience, please pardon my posting. I had never seen this referenced in the months that I've been coming to this forum, so thought it would benefit those who, like me, don't have all of the tricks in their back pocket, yet.

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nifty shortcut for tool adjustments

    That reminds of something... a few months (weeks ?) ago, someone here use to post power tips every week... What happened with this guy?

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Ray

    It was Dave Cross, got up to Daves Tip #7, then said he was going on holiday.

    May be busy, haven't seen him around here since June-ish

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  5. #5

    Dave Cross was going to Montreal.

    Another tip;

    when using adjustment layers; hold down the alt key and the 'cancel' button turns to a 'reset' button which will bring you back to the original image if you mess up a bit ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Jodi,

    THANKS!!! That is something I will use EVERY day.

    I like to see what the "Auto" setting does on Levels adjustment layers, and then see what I can come up with manually... and then choose whichever I like best. Now, I won't have to cancel and re-start to try both ways.

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  7. #7

    Dave Cross, thanks for reminding me,,,,,Early last spring I ordered "Photoshop Elements for Photographers" which was/is a training DVD. I never received it, but was told that June first, it would be shipped. Still haven't heard a peep from them.

    Anybody here know anything about this?
    It was at Photoshopvideos.com
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, Jodi. That's a good one.
    This is the kind of stuff I come to this forum for. Plus the camaraderie, of course...
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  9. #9

    Byron,
    Another handy shortcut for brush size is to use [ and ] (find it next to letter p on keyboard) to resize quickly.
    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  10. #10

    I don't know, for me it's just easier to use the brush option screen. Probably because I'm never really sure of my next step. I'm a 'winger' artist.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  11. #11

    Jodi,
    Since I didn't know about all these shortcuts, I habitually go to the brush option screen too. I might try to incorporate some of these shortcuts though to speed up my incredibly slow Photoshop technique.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest