Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikkor vs Sigma (70-300 f4-5.6) - Photography

Okay, I realise it's hardly clash of the titans, but which of these is the better? I refer to the Nikkor G (not the ED), and I'm not 100% sure if it's the Sigma Macro APO or the Sigma Macro Super DL (or whatever). Opinions on either would be good. Here in S.Africa they hardly differ in price. The Nikkor G is around $280 equivalent (ouch); aren't world markets wonderful. [To answer the obvious, I'm looking for a cheap light zoom to around 200mm for "knocking about with"--taking to places I wouldn't want to carry a $1500 lens or hiking. ...

  1. #1

    Default Nikkor vs Sigma (70-300 f4-5.6)

    Okay, I realise it's hardly clash of the titans, but which of these
    is the better? I refer to the Nikkor G (not the ED), and I'm not 100%
    sure if it's the Sigma Macro APO or the Sigma Macro Super DL (or
    whatever). Opinions on either would be good. Here in S.Africa
    they hardly differ in price. The Nikkor G is around $280 equivalent
    (ouch); aren't world markets wonderful.

    [To answer the obvious, I'm looking for a cheap light zoom to around
    200mm for "knocking about with"--taking to places I wouldn't want to
    carry a $1500 lens or hiking. I'd be a bit keener for an old 70-210
    but they're thin on the ground used, and I worry about mildew etc.
    One day, I'll get a 70-200 f2.8 VR when my ship is spotted on the
    horizon].

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikkor vs Sigma (70-300 f4-5.6)

    In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Ken Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    The Nikkor ED is an odd one anyways.

    Overall, they are approximately the same just having weaknesses in
    different places. You sort of get the pick between middling at best
    overall vs. okay to good at 1/3 of centar but worser in edges as a
    tradeoff and so on. I don't think just always taking a center crop
    would be of particular help either.

    Just try them and take the one you have least problems with.

    --
    Sander

    +++ Out of cheese error +++
    Sander Guest

  3. #3

    "Ken Tough" <co.uk> wrote in message

    If they cost the same, it is a no-brainer. Check out the USED price of
    each lens and THEN decide which one will cost you more. I've never
    heard of anyone buying a Sigma/Tokina/Tamron because it was better
    than a Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Minolta/Olympus lens.

    George

    George Guest

  4. #4

    Sander Vesik <folklore.ee> wrote:

    Sigma?

    Nikkor?

    Problem is, I can't find a camera place anywhere around that
    would let me do that. It's hard enough convincing them to let
    you stick it on a body in the shop.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  5. #5

    George <com> wrote:

    Neither have I, it's just the guy in a local shop said that for ~$20
    more it was worth going for the Sigma because it was significantly
    better. That surprised me, but not overly much because I know the
    70-300G is no Nikon flagship. I find it difficult to find reviews
    on the Sigma lens.. have seen plenty on the Nikkor one.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  6. #6

    > Neither have I, it's just the guy in a local shop said that for ~$20
    > more it was worth going for the Sigma because it was significantly
    > better. That surprised me, but not overly much because I know the
    > 70-300G is no Nikon flagship. I find it difficult to find reviews
    > on the Sigma lens.. have seen plenty on the Nikkor one.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Tough[/ref]

    Have you thought about picking up a used AF Zoom-Nikkor 75-300mm
    f/4.5-5.6? I have one and while it isn't on par with Nikon's 80-200mm ED
    f/2.8
    lenses, it does have pretty decent build quality and is only a little
    soft...probably
    better than either of the lenses you are looking at and you get an aperture
    ring, too, if you want to use it on an older body.

    George

    George Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:17:35 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

    Hey Ken, somebody approached me here in Durban with a bunch of Nikon
    equipment they were selling recently. Amongst the lenses was a Nikkor
    75-300mm f/4.5 - I think this is the one with the tripod mount. He was
    looking for about R2,500 for it, but I think you might be able to knock
    him down to around R2k (if he still has it).

    Another acquaintance of mine has a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 ED (which used to
    be my own lens - I sold it to him when I went dilly and bought into the
    Canon system), F100, Nikkor 20mm and an SB-28 for sale. I think you would
    be able to get all this stuff from him for under R10k. He inherited it and
    it's just sitting around in his cupboard now.

    Let me know if you would like me to email you their details.

    --
    ?
    Roxy Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:59:17 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

    > Sigma?

    > Nikkor?

    > Problem is, I can't find a camera place anywhere around that
    > would let me do that. It's hard enough convincing them to let
    > you stick it on a body in the shop.[/ref]

    Geez, where is this? JHB? PTA? If it wasn't for my good relationship with
    Whysalls here in DBN I wouldn't have been able to test about half of the
    equipment I have used over the years.

    I had an interesting thought the other day - of all the cameras I have
    owned, only three of them were bought brand new (F80, D30/D60 and D70).
    The rest were all pre-owned.

    --
    ?
    Roxy Guest

  9. #9

    Roxy d'Urban <com> wrote:

    Yeah, I was looking mostly Pretoria, some in JHB. None of the shops
    I went to were helpful at all, some wouldn't even sell the 70-300 4-5.6
    saying it was only part of their "D70 bundle", and would grudgingly
    let me "see" it from a distance.

    As an update I passed a used shop today, stopped in, and they had
    the AF 70-210 f4-5.6 that I was looking for. Seemed good, the guy
    had no probs letting me try it on a D70 body and check the pics on
    his computer with Photoshop. No fungus, seemed fine, nice and sharp,
    so I picked it up and he threw in a hard case. [Radio Lens on Duncan]
    I'd highly recommend them. I paid R1200.. sure, it's probably too much
    but it's also probably the only one in a 500 km radius and I was tired
    of waiting and wanted to just shoot. I'm happy! AF is slow, but it's
    sharp and does the job, and it seems rugged and yet not too heavy, so
    just what I wanted.

    One day I might go for the f2.8, but if I'm going to go that far I'm
    afraid I'll take the 70-200 AF-S VR ED and not the 80-200. Hopefully
    not at the RSA list price of R20,000. The AF-S would be one thing
    I'd be keen on, as well as the VR for hand-held shooting since with
    f2.8 I could easily work with shutter speeds of around 1/125. But
    that's one day. If you see one of those going spare, let me know!

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:27:06 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

    > Yeah, I was looking mostly Pretoria, some in JHB. None of the shops
    > I went to were helpful at all, some wouldn't even sell the 70-300 4-5.6
    > saying it was only part of their "D70 bundle", and would grudgingly
    > let me "see" it from a distance.
    >
    > As an update I passed a used shop today, stopped in, and they had
    > the AF 70-210 f4-5.6 that I was looking for. Seemed good, the guy
    > had no probs letting me try it on a D70 body and check the pics on
    > his computer with Photoshop. No fungus, seemed fine, nice and sharp,
    > so I picked it up and he threw in a hard case. [Radio Lens on Duncan]
    > I'd highly recommend them. I paid R1200.. sure, it's probably too much
    > but it's also probably the only one in a 500 km radius and I was tired
    > of waiting and wanted to just shoot. I'm happy! AF is slow, but it's
    > sharp and does the job, and it seems rugged and yet not too heavy, so
    > just what I wanted.[/ref]

    It's a fairly good price. I sold one a few years ago for R1,500 and it was
    in mint condition, but didn't have the case.

    I can't believe that those shops were so negative about helping you out. I
    haven't had any experience with the shops in Pretoria, but I did go to a
    few in Sandton City a while ago. There was one that was helpful, but the
    others were kinda snobbish.

    I tried looking for Kameraz in Rosebank, but us Durbanites get lost easily
    in places where there is no sea to use as a directional aid, so that visit
    never panned out!

    That would be hard to find! I got mine from PhotoWorld last year when they
    were on special from Nikon SA. I think I paid R15,000 for it and then I
    put it through my business so I got the VAT back.

    Absolutely the finest Nikkor I have ever used. It is considerably better
    than the older 80-200mm. The picture of Brent Russell on my website was
    taken with it (see www.dallasdahms.com). The VR is a big help, but after
    using AF-S I now turn my nose up at anything that isn't AF-S!

    --
    ?
    Roxy Guest

  11. #11

    Roxy d'Urban <com> wrote:
     [/ref]
    .... [/ref]

    Great, thanks for the good news.

    Yeah, I looked in Sandton around October, but I seem to remember
    them quoting something like R14,000 for the D70 kit. [I got it
    for R7500 tax-free overseas]. Sandton generally has a 30% price
    premium on everything, so I pretty much forget about them. It's
    true, you can get a look at some stuff in some of the shops though.

    I should have a look for it next time I'm down there. Rosebank is
    much better in general than Sandton, being mostly outside and all.

    Sounds like a good buy.

    Do you happen to know anywhere around which rents high-end gear?
    A colleague told me his friend in the film industry sometimes
    rents lenses and other stuff for pro shoots, but didn't have any
    idea where he would rent it. None of the shops can suggest anything
    other than trying Nikon head office. I would love to try the
    AF-S 70-200 VR with a TC, but I suppose it would be a few thousand
    for rental.

    cheers

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:30:37 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

    Unfortunately no, Ken. In Durban none of the shops even stock pro level
    equipment. You have to get them to order it from the respective
    distributors. JHB might be different, but no one I have been in touch with
    has had any experience regarding renting gear here.

    You got your D70 for an incredibly low price! Did you get it from Hong
    Kong? That's about half of what I paid for mine.

    --
    ?
    Roxy Guest

  13. #13

    Roxy d'Urban <com> wrote:

    A good price, from a UK shop (online, but they have a physical shop),
    but it seems to have been a grey import. (And a strange one at that,
    with an apparent US serial number and an Aussie power cable). I was a
    bit peeved at first, but crossing fingers it got through 'infancy'
    without needing warranty work. We'll be moving hemispheres within
    the year anyway, so Nikon's annoying policy wouldn't help even if it
    was 100% above board. They processed my VAT refund before I needed
    to pay the card bill, so in all I can't complain too much!

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest