Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon Coolpix 5700 NEF(RAW) Support? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

It is difficult to find a straight answer in this forum. Does photoshop elements 2.0 FULLY support Nikon's version of the RAW file? I mean you can do all the manipulating that you can do with their capture software. Of which they claim is the only software that is fully functional with their RAW files. I mean without having to buy some high priced add in. This is an importan file format and needs to be supported as part of the normal package. Thanks Keith...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon Coolpix 5700 NEF(RAW) Support?

    It is difficult to find a straight answer in this forum.

    Does photoshop elements 2.0 FULLY support Nikon's version of the RAW file?

    I mean you can do all the manipulating that you can do with their capture software. Of which they claim is the only software that is fully functional with their RAW files.

    I mean without having to buy some high priced add in.

    This is an importan file format and needs to be supported as part of the normal package.

    Thanks
    Keith
    Keith Shivner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon Coolpix 5700 NEF(RAW) Support?

    Keith, I believe you have to buy the Adobe Raw plug-in ($99) to get full
    NEF support. Most of us who shoot in RAW mode use the camera manufacturer's
    software to make the conversion to TIFF, then use Elements for the heavy
    editing.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Keith

    No Photoshop Elements 2.0 doesn't support NEF (Nikon RAW).

    Nikon View 5.1 that comes with the Nikons that support NEF installs a
    Photoshop file format plug-in which allows you to open NEF files directly
    (it also allows exposure compensation adjustment and white balance
    adjustment).

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  4. #4

    Grant, do they open directly in Elements? That's pretty cool if they do;
    what more could you want ?!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Chuck

    I am not sure if it works but Nikon does state that it works on any imaging
    software that allows Photoshop plug-ins. That being said I suspect you may
    access it in filters and not in Files > Import as you do with Canon RAW, but
    I am not really sure. Now this is a Nikon product so we will have to trust
    them ;-)

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  6. #6

    Just a note...I wonder why Keith has difficulty in finding replies here. I read 75% of the threads and notice how quick people get replies and with such detail.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  7. #7

    Marty, It's possible he meant the 'search' just didn't turn up anything or a particular thread went off course ...gee, does that happen here ? :)

    Nikon ( sigh )
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Jodi

    I have the king of Nikons .... do you want to run off and join the circus
    with me. ( Double Sigh)

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  9. #9

    JODI,
    You have only good words for everyone.
    Thanks for buttering up the situation.
    I simply find nothing negative about PSE forum.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  10. #10

    Grant, I'm all done packing. Hope I got everything.

    Marty, I purposely remain positive...otherwise..hmmm, watch out !

    ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  11. #11

    Jodi, done packing....me too. see you next week.

    Pete D Guest

  12. #12

    In order to open Raw files in Photoshop, you need to purchase the CameraRaw Plugin ($99). You can get all the info (including the user manual) at the following link.

    <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html>

    My question... Will the CameraRaw Plug-in work with Elements, or just Photoshop 7.x?
    Marshall Guest

  13. #13

    Marshall, the camera RAW plugin works with Elements. The only thing not working is 16 bits TIFF.
    Elements does not handle these files, they are converted to 8 bits.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  14. #14

    I thought Nikon supplied a plug in that will import Raw into elements with
    out going to the extra expense.

    Grant

    Grant Guest

  15. #15

    Ray:

    Thanks for the clarification on the CameraRaw Plug-in and Elements.

    Regarding Grant's question...

    Yes, Nikon supplies a utility "Nikon View" that will capture images from the camera and allow you to convert the Raw (NEF) images to TIF, JPEG, etc. I haven't used this, but if it's like Canon's conversion software, you can make "tweaks" to the photos, like White Balance, Brightness, Sharpness, etc. during the conversion.

    If you want [much] more control over the conversion (i.e. EV levels...) you need to either purchase the Adobe CameraRaw Plug-in ($99) or the Nikon Capture ($120-150) software.

    I'm not up on all the feature / performance differences between the two options, but I believe the Photoshop option will save storage space and a step in the workflow, by allowing you to FILE>OPEN raw files without having to convert them first. Also, the Photoshop option is meant to work with other file formats too (Canon .crw, etc.) This is good for me as I might keep my Canon G2 as well as buy a new Nikon.

    Marshall
    Marshall Guest

  16. #16

    I know absolutely nothing about RAW format, because my Sony digicam only
    makes JPG and TIFF.... but I happened to notice that the current release of
    IMatch claims "IMatch natively supports all major digital camera RAW
    formats, handles EXIF and IPTC information..."

    Perhaps this $49 program could work as a translator between RAW and PE?

    Again, I would need years of study to even become ignorant on the subject...

    Byron

    Byron Guest

  17. #17

    I just looked at Nikon's website, and apparently the Nikon "Capture" software (purchased separately) includes the Photoshop Plug-in.

    Best of both worlds for Nikon users.

    Marshall
    Marshall Guest