Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D100 - Photography

The D100 is a GREAT camera! Unless you own both the Canon 10D and the D100 it would be pretty hard to say that either was better but they both have VERY similar specs, are a similar price and produce virtually identical results. There is a new Nikon digital SLR on the way. The timeline goes something like this; the D2H has just been announced (a professional press/sport camera), the D2X around should be announced soonish, maybe Sept/Oct (a professional portrait/wedding/commercial camera with most likely 10-11 megapixel but could be up to 16) and the D200 (a rumoured name) should ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Nikon D100

    The D100 is a GREAT camera! Unless you own both the Canon 10D and the D100
    it would be pretty hard to say that either was better but they both have
    VERY similar specs, are a similar price and produce virtually identical
    results. There is a new Nikon digital SLR on the way. The timeline goes
    something like this; the D2H has just been announced (a professional
    press/sport camera), the D2X around should be announced soonish, maybe
    Sept/Oct (a professional portrait/wedding/commercial camera with most likely
    10-11 megapixel but could be up to 16) and the D200 (a rumoured name) should
    be announced probably first quarter next year.

    Cameron

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    news:3f249dfb$0$1209$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au ...
    > My friend has just bought one of these, and I was wondering from anyone on
    > the group who has one, is it a decent machine? From what I've read here,
    > it's not as good as the Canon equivalent. I was also under the impression
    > that there was a new Nikon digital SLR on the way, not the 4 megapixel one
    > that's already been mentioned, but one that's better than the D100. I
    wonder
    > if that's why she got it around $1000 less than the last time she checked
    > out the price....
    >
    > Audrey

    Cameron Guest

  2. #2

    The D100 is a fantastic camera. As for comparing it to the Canon equivalent,
    they each have their good and bad points. I'd hesitate to say one is
    "definitely" better than the other one, it's pretty similar.

    I doubt there'll be a replacement for the D100 for at least another 8
    months. It's still selling very well, it's a fantastic piece of kit.

    Gav

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    news:3f249dfb$0$1209$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au ...
    > My friend has just bought one of these, and I was wondering from anyone on
    > the group who has one, is it a decent machine? From what I've read here,
    > it's not as good as the Canon equivalent. I was also under the impression
    > that there was a new Nikon digital SLR on the way, not the 4 megapixel one
    > that's already been mentioned, but one that's better than the D100. I
    wonder
    > if that's why she got it around $1000 less than the last time she checked
    > out the price....
    >
    > Audrey

    Gavin Cato Guest

  3. #3

    Audrey wrote:
    > My friend has just bought one of these, and I was wondering from anyone on
    > the group who has one, is it a decent machine? From what I've read here,
    > it's not as good as the Canon equivalent. I was also under the impression
    > that there was a new Nikon digital SLR on the way, not the 4 megapixel one
    > that's already been mentioned, but one that's better than the D100. I wonder
    > if that's why she got it around $1000 less than the last time she checked
    > out the price....
    >
    > Audrey

    IF you want a good camera and can't afford a Canon... buy a cheaper
    canon. :-)
    BRenton

    Brenton Guest

  4. #4

    I have to agree, the D100 is a great camera, not without a few shortfalls.
    Every different digital SLR seems to have one problem area or another.
    I have used mine since January 2003 for weddings, portraits, studio and
    location, group and team photography.
    The first thing I would do would be go to:
    [url]http://www.jtgraphics.net/all_digital.htm[/url] and look at downloading a custom
    curve or two.
    The D100 tends to underexpose the midtones in a lot of situations, and

    Also, if set the metering to centre weighted, not matrix, it is far more
    reliable. Digital cameras seem to be affected by highlights in the shot much
    more than film cameras. A bright area in the top left of the viewing area
    will probably cause it to underexpose the image, if on matrix metering. On
    the other hand, I an always careful when shooting the guys together at a
    wedding, all that black area of suits in the middle of the pic sometimes
    cause the camera to overexpose.

    It is just a matter of learing what it is capable of, and allowing for that
    when shooting....no digitial camera is gound to be 100% accurate in all
    areas and situations.

    Ian Wharton
    Creative Photographics
    BabyFace Casting & Modelling
    502 Algester Rd
    Algester Q 4115
    ph 3273 7056 (CP)
    ph 3711 5315 (BF)
    fx 3273 7735
    [url]www.creativephotographics.net[/url]
    [url]www.babyfaceonline,net[/url]

    "Johnnie5" <ducatiauhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hi Audrey
    >
    > well here is a report from a green owner ( no im not really green ;) )
    >
    > I picked mine up last week (1 of 2 last at Nikon on Broadway for then next
    3 weeks
    > and none at other places I tried)
    >
    > from what I was told turned out to be correct, it is not a point and
    shoot camera
    > there is bucket loads of settings and you will need to play with them
    >
    > as with all photography the real issue is the lenses that you get ,
    > the better they are the better you photos are going to be
    >
    > is it as good as the canon , I feel that they are prob much of a much
    between them all

    > I went for the Nikon for a couple of reasons ,(I have no real brand
    loyalty)

    > 1 they have been out for some time
    > 2 I bought lenses throughout the past 6 months for this body
    >
    > no doubt there will be a new body along soon enough, that's the prob with
    anything electrical gadgetry
    > it is soon superseded
    >
    > What I paid ?
    > I bought the lenses through the past year both new and used, decide what
    brand you want to head to
    > and then look for lenses to suit , lenses cost money and some use huge
    filters which cost $$$$ again

    > the body I paid $3379 and a 2nd Battey for $70 from Nikon on Broadway
    > 6 months ago this was $4500
    >
    > I bought 2 x 512 Mb cards from power in numbers $396 + GST
    >
    > also I got a XDriveII for $370 + GST
    >
    > fortunately I am off on holiday soon and will get back close to $400 in
    GST
    > if I wasn't travelling I prob would have held out longer as its still
    expensive when you add it all up
    > (last holiday cost me $1100 in film and processing)
    >
    > ok the report
    >
    > the body is a nice fit ,
    >
    > I came from a pentax MZ3 and there is some features on it that I miss
    already on the D100

    > on the pentax the ISO was a quick turn knob on the left
    > and the auto focus area was a quick switch on the front of the body
    >
    > all these are in the D100 but take time (longer than the pentax took
    me,1-2 secs )

    > another gripe is that I cannot flick through the images like I can on my
    little Kodak
    > although there is slide show , so you can to a degree, ( I may be wrong
    and haven't found it yet )

    > and the control knob on the top when you move it I keep getting the other
    control moved
    > to timer shot which is a bit annoying
    >
    > but these are only minor gripes , from a change of brand
    >
    > I have shot about 250 shots with it now
    >
    > the first 50 the day I got it were woeful , very disappointed
    >
    > it was then for the next 50 that I played with all the settings and got
    some shots that completely
    > changed my mind and made me realise that you really have to play with it
    >
    > then last night I went into the city and took a bunch of night shots to
    get more of a feel of it before I head
    > overseas in 2 weeks , bit of a mixed bag of city night shots and then
    caught a band so took some there to
    > see its capabilities , it suffered quite a bit with the drummer as he was
    directly lit with a red light
    > these were all flash free shots
    >
    > the great thing was I could shoot all sorts of shots, different exposures
    etc and see what I get without
    > firing off rolls of film and waiting until they get developed
    >
    > here is some pics from it
    > these are raw shots then converted to jpg using Nikon view , no paintshop
    at all yet
    > still plenty left to play with , but im reasonably happy for the first
    shots to come out

    > [url]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~glenmark/D100/images/html0002/page1.htm[/url]
    >
    > [url]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~glenmark/Test270703/html0001/page1.htm[/url]
    >
    > XDrive review
    >
    > this is a great product, cost me 15% of what a laptop would have cost and
    its small and lightweight

    > basically a laptop hard drive with a card reader inbuilt
    >
    > does a bunch of different cards
    >
    > insert full card , turn on , press button and takes about 8 mins to
    transfer a 512 card

    > also takes about the same to get them to the PC , but I am led to believe
    that it will be quicker
    > if you have a USB 2.0 port
    >
    > the first charge lasted about 3Gb of file transfers , card to Xdrive then
    XDrive to PC

    > so I guess in the field you would prob get about 5 Gb done maybe a little
    more
    > which is plenty for a day for average Joe
    >
    > the newer Nikon with the bigger buffer would be great for exactly what its
    marketed at
    > which is sports photography , but average Joe would be happy with most
    >
    > in the end you pay your money and make your choices , get a hold of them
    and see what you think

    > "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    news:3f249dfb$0$1209$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au ...
    > > My friend has just bought one of these, and I was wondering from anyone
    on
    > > the group who has one, is it a decent machine? From what I've read here,
    > > it's not as good as the Canon equivalent. I was also under the
    impression
    > > that there was a new Nikon digital SLR on the way, not the 4 megapixel
    one
    > > that's already been mentioned, but one that's better than the D100. I
    wonder
    > > if that's why she got it around $1000 less than the last time she
    checked
    > > out the price....
    > >
    > > Audrey

    Creative Guest

  5. #5

    > another gripe is that I cannot flick through the images like I can on my
    little Kodak
    > although there is slide show , so you can to a degree, ( I may be wrong
    and haven't found it yet )

    What do you mean by this? You can flick through with the directional pad,
    and can also show 9 at one stage on the screen if you so desire.

    Gavin Cato Guest

  6. #6

    Well, the D60 has the slowest AF in the world, the 10D has focussing
    problems, the 1D has banding issues, the 1Ds has a $16,000 pricetag and
    attracts dust like a vacuum cleaner, they all have crazy ergonomics, so the
    logical choice is the Nikons :)

    *flame suit on* :)

    Gav

    "Brenton" <neuschulzbigpond.com> wrote in message
    > IF you want a good camera and can't afford a Canon... buy a cheaper
    > canon. :-)
    > BRenton

    Gavin Cato Guest

  7. #7

    "Gavin Cato" <gavinnospam.com> wrote in message news:3f24eaa7$0$95042$c30e37c6lon-reader.news.telstra.net...

    > > another gripe is that I cannot flick through the images like I can on my
    > little Kodak
    > > although there is slide show , so you can to a degree, ( I may be wrong
    > and haven't found it yet )
    >
    > What do you mean by this? You can flick through with the directional pad,
    > and can also show 9 at one stage on the screen if you so desire.
    found it

    have to go up and down instead of side to side

    RTFM

    *slap forehead*

    Johnnie5 Guest

  8. #8

    Johnnie5 wrote:
    > "Gavin Cato" <gavinnospam.com> wrote in message news:3f24eaa7$0$95042$c30e37c6lon-reader.news.telstra.net...
    >
    >>>another gripe is that I cannot flick through the images like I can on my
    >>
    >>little Kodak
    >>
    >>>although there is slide show , so you can to a degree, ( I may be wrong
    >>
    >>and haven't found it yet )
    >>
    >>What do you mean by this? You can flick through with the directional pad,
    >>and can also show 9 at one stage on the screen if you so desire.
    >

    > found it
    >
    > have to go up and down instead of side to side
    >
    > RTFM
    >
    > *slap forehead*

    Read the manual and become very familiar with the camera. You may be out
    somewhere and need to do things which you cant remember.

    ops Guest

  9. #9

    > Well, the D60 has the slowest AF in the world
    ** blatantly false. not as snappy as 10D/ D100 etc in low-light, yes.
    > the 10D has focussing problems
    ** SOME bodies do, maybe 5% tops, most are great, including mine. some
    nikons also affected.
    > the 1D has banding issues
    ** was fixed by firmware update. nice 45pt AF too.
    > 1Ds has a $16,000 pricetag
    ** yes but it's seriously pro gear, s all over its only competitor the
    14n
    > attracts dust like a vacuum cleaner
    ** unlike all the nikon CCD's huh? heh.
    > they all have crazy ergonomics
    ** only if you're used to the way nikons work.. exposure compensation + to
    left and - to right??? what the?
    > logical choice is the Nikons :)
    ** if you're a nikon fanatic, of course. but not when you consider canons
    have equivalent or better glass with affordable IS, USM, wireless
    multi-flash control and E-TTL (technologies nikon is finally starting to
    copy after years of lagging behind), cheaper yet high quality accessories,
    better long exposures, lower noise, less dust, better weather sealing (1D),
    etc etc etc
    > *flame suit on* :)
    ** you're welcome <g>

    Warren Prasek Guest

  10. #10

    OK we can agree to disagree, doesnt look like either of us will be changing
    our tune. back to the real world now...

    Warren Prasek Guest

  11. #11

    Here are a couple of pics I took with my D100 on Sunday at Eastern Creek.

    The lens is an 80-400mm VR lens.

    [url]http://www.enix.com.au/photos/dsc_1275.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.enix.com.au/photos/dsc_1313.jpg[/url]

    Cheers

    PS. Glen, see you this Sunday at turn 2 EC. :)

    eric Guest

  12. #12

    ooh pics just for me ;)

    im down Canberra this weekend , but think I might be back up here around lunch or so
    if that's the case will have to go there , after all it will be on the way home :)

  13. #13

    Default Nikon D100

    I'm planning on purchasing a D100 in the next two weeks or so.
    Dirtcheapcameras have it for around $3100 with a Nikon lens, and so far,
    that's the best I've found. Is there anywhere else I should be checking out
    in the hope of a better price?

    Cheers

    Audrey

    Audrey Guest

  14. #14

    I would look around for a deal for a body only...there are lots of bettter
    lenses than the 28-100.
    $2900 get you body only from ECS in Sydney, then you get $200 cashback from
    Nikon, making it $2700 body only.
    If you already have some Nikon lenses it makes more sense just to buy the
    body anyway.
    --
    Images to Laugh, Smile & Cry over!!
    Ian Wharton
    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    out

    Ian Guest

  15. #15

    In article <x1npb.176556$bigpond.net.au>, "Ian
    Wharton" <net> wrote:

    why do u get a cashback?
    woodsie Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks Ian :-)

    Nikon are offering cashback on a few Nikon cameras at the moment. It's
    effective until the end of November. They specify that it's for Nikon club
    members only, then they give you free membership for the duration of the
    camera's warranty.

    Audrey

    "woodsie" <com> wrote in message
    news:dialup.optusnet.com.au... [/ref]
    bettter [/ref]
    from

    > why do u get a cashback?[/ref]

    Audrey Guest

  17. #17

    HI Audrey,

    You could start by looking at a Canon :-)

    :-) Sorry I couldn't resist

    Henrik

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    checking out

    Henrik Guest

  18. #18

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote:

    ..snip.
     [/ref]

    Maybe because of losing market share to another company?
    To try & stimulate sales?

    j Guest

  19. #19

    god someone always has to throw in a concealed canon line

    *rolls eyes*

    Gavin Guest

  20. #20

    Haha, I was going to put something to that effect in my original post :-)))

    "Henrik" <net.au> wrote in message
    > checking out
    >
    >[/ref]

    Audrey Guest