Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D100 NEF Files - Macromedia Fireworks

Has anyone figured out a way to open/use Nikon NEF format files (from D100/D1/D2 cameras) in Fireworks?...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D100 NEF Files

    Has anyone figured out a way to open/use Nikon NEF format files (from D100/D1/D2 cameras) in Fireworks?

    rwilling webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D100 NEF Files

    You can't. FW does not understand them. You will need Nikon's proprietary
    software, Nikon Capture 2. It's about $40 CDN.

    HTH

    --

    -

    "rwilling" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone figured out a way to open/use Nikon NEF format files (from
    D100/D1/D2 cameras) in Fireworks?

    Jim Babbage - CMX Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry...missed this one....

    Not sure which version of Nikon View you are running.

    From the Nikon Site:
    The Nikon NEF plug-in included with Nikon View 4 (SLR) can also be used to
    open raw images in Adobe Photoshop version 5.0 or later. Nikon Capture 2 is
    required to modify such settings as white balance, tone compensation, and
    hue

    If the plug-in was targeted for Photoshop 5.0, than it is fair game for
    Fireworks MX. To what degree? No way to know for sure without giving it a
    whirl.

    Thought you would care for the pointer in that direction if you were not
    already aware of it....

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "rwilling" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone figured out a way to open/use Nikon NEF format files (from
    D100/D1/D2 cameras) in Fireworks?

    Sam Poikail Guest

  4. #4

    Sam -

    Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

    I own Nikon View & Capture 3.5, but do not like the output when printed. I also have Photoshop v 6, but am trying to decide whether to upgrade or not. If I do, it's unlikely that I will use Fireworks any longer (it takes too much time to maintain a good level of knowledge in both).

    The PS plug-ins unfortunately do not seem to work with Fireworks MX. The versions that came with the Nikon software seem to be developed in PS 6/7, not PS 5 and therefore don't work. When I try, I simply get error messages.

    FYI I generally prefer Fireworks over PS based on "useability" (the user interface makes more sense to me) and image quality (both on-screen and printed). However I enjoy the control of shooting in NEF for both the in-computer controls over exposure and the ability to capture the shooting data (I definitely don't want to shoot JPGs).

    Any other suggestions? Do you know if Macromedia has any plans to develop an extension for NEF?

    rwilling webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    > Thanks for the comments/suggestions.
    No problem....
    > Any other suggestions?
    Checking...
    >Do you know if Macromedia has any plans to develop an extension for NEF?
    Can't say for sure since I don't work for MM. Best guess would be... I
    seriously doubt it, as each manufacturer has their own "RAW" format.
    Plug-Ins would pretty much be up to the camera manufacturer to provide.

    Adobe definitely hosed things when they left the Plug-In SDK open for x
    number of versions. Waited for a nice Plug-In market to develop and then
    started closing off the SDK. Grrrrr.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    > Sam -
    >
    > Thanks for the comments/suggestions.
    >
    > I own Nikon View & Capture 3.5, but do not like the output when printed.
    I also have Photoshop v 6, but am trying to decide whether to upgrade or
    not. If I do, it's unlikely that I will use Fireworks any longer (it takes
    too much time to maintain a good level of knowledge in both).

    > The PS plug-ins unfortunately do not seem to work with Fireworks MX. The
    versions that came with the Nikon software seem to be developed in PS 6/7,
    not PS 5 and therefore don't work. When I try, I simply get error messages.

    > FYI I generally prefer Fireworks over PS based on "useability" (the user
    interface makes more sense to me) and image quality (both on-screen and
    printed). However I enjoy the control of shooting in NEF for both the
    in-computer controls over exposure and the ability to capture the shooting
    data (I definitely don't want to shoot JPGs).

    > Any other suggestions? Do you know if Macromedia has any plans to develop
    an extension for NEF?

    Sam Poikail Guest