Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax - Photography

"True211" <com> wrote in message news:net...  and  The Trademark doesn't have to be filed in the USA. Filing a Trademark in Japan would still be a protected TM under International Law. They can file for a USA one at a later date....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax

    and

    The Trademark doesn't have to be filed in the USA. Filing a Trademark in
    Japan would still be a protected TM under International Law. They can file
    for a USA one at a later date.

    Darrell Guest

  2. #2

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <com> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref][/ref]
    of

    > > Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge"[/ref][/ref]
    of [/ref]
    '60s. [/ref]
    Come to [/ref]
    pressed to [/ref]
    Canon.

    How many of the 20Da will actually be produced, and at what cost?

    Darrell Guest

  3. #3

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    > Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge" of
    > technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the '60s.
    > Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
    > auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof. Come[/ref]
    Canon.
    Odd how the D200 was competitive to the D30, D60, 10D... So now Canon is on
    their 6th generation of dSLR during the life-time of the D100. Will there be
    a D200, YES! But it may not be called a D200. What if Nikon, tongue-in-cheek
    called it the D100 mk.II, AFAIK you can't trademark "mk.II"

    As for your other point, the technology often was developed by others. First
    OTF metering, was Olympus OM-2. Multi-Coated lenses Asahi/Zeiss co-venture
    in the form of Super Multi Coating/T*

    Darrell Guest

  4. #4

    "Bubbabob" <net> wrote in message

    > They're insane if they stick with that dRebley-looking silver and black
    > color scheme that just screams 'CHEAP TOY'. I know people who chose D70's
    > over dRebels just because the Canon was too ugly to be seen with.[/ref]

    If you are referring to the Photoshopped image on DPReview forums
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=12332761

    Front view you can see the door release of the F55, the back view you see
    the USB connection.

    Sort of like the watch in Ben Hur, or the jet vapour trails on Bonanza...

    Darrell Guest

  5. #5

    Default Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax

    Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
    from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200" and
    nothing came up.

    However.... <grin>

    Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

    See for yourself:

    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=1b3qt5.3.1

    I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it is
    unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2EF1248A

    I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
    needed upgrade to the D100.

    True211 Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:11:11 -0500, "True211" <com>
    wrote:

    It's like a loss leader in the supermarket. If you can get someone to
    buy the starter camera and invest in a few more lenses, you can keep
    them as a customer for the rest of their lives. So Nikon may come out
    with something even cheaper than the 300D.
    McLeod Guest

  7. #7

    > McLeod <com> wrote:

    The lock-in, of course, only works for people who upgrade
    bodies more often than the maker rolls lens generations.
    Alternatively, the maker can avoid unwise decisions about
    supporting legacy lens mounts.

    My DSLR was funded by selling of my collection of Canon
    A-1 and FD (mostly newFD) stuff. Because Canon deliberately
    designed the EF mount so that FD glass could not be made
    100% adaptable to EOS cams, the loyalty factor was shot.

    Indeed, after dumping the lot on eBay, I was ready to try
    switching to Nikon or any of several other brands. Had
    the D70 been ready, I might be a Nikon user today.

    Another factor is "a few more lenses". For many entry-level
    SLR/DSLR users, they never own more than the kit lens the
    cam came with. Lens lock-in never takes root at all.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    On Saturday 19 February 2005 13:11, True211 wrote:

    Same reason 40 years ago they came out with the Nikkormat F, a poorman's
    Nikon FTn, more or less. And same reason since then that they've come
    out with a scaled down version (featurewise) of top-of-the-line
    professional models: To sell to the amateurs, who want a Nikon, but
    won't (or can't) pay the dollars for the pro models.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  9. #9

    "Bob Niland" <com> wrote in message

    Rolling of lens generations is pretty rare.

    The FD mount couldn't take Canon into the professional film market, and an
    adapter for manual mode was as far as they could go for adaptability. You
    make it sound as if it would have been easy to get full compatibility
    between FD lenses and EOS bodies. The FD stuff didn't stop working with FD
    bodies simply because the EOS system was introduced. Getting mad because a
    company comes out with new products that don't work with their old products,
    is ridiculous.

    Nikon has retained the F mount but not all older F mount lenses work on
    newer F mount bodies. And the F mount has a lot of baggage that is hurting
    Nikon right now. Because of the back focus distance, they can't do something
    similar to what Canon did with the EF-s lenses, to compensate for the crop
    factor. Nikon is eventually going to have to replace the F mount, then
    you'll hear some serious screaming.

    Many never get any more lenses, but I think a lot do get at least a
    telephoto.

    Steven Guest

  10. #10

    "True211" <com> wrote in message

    They must be working on both, as well as a full frame professional model.
    They want to compete in every segment of the Digital SLR market. Nikon's
    problem is that they are behind Canon in sensor development, and sensor
    development is difficult and time consuming.

    Entry level: _______, Digital Rebel
    Consumer Level: D70, Digital Rebel XT
    Prosumer Level: _______, 20D
    Semi-Pro: D2x, 1D Mark II
    Pro: ________, 1Ds Mark II

    Steven Guest

  11. #11

    "Steven M. Scharf" <net> wrote in message

    > Rolling of lens generations is pretty rare.

    > The FD mount couldn't take Canon into the professional film market, and an
    > adapter for manual mode was as far as they could go for adaptability. You
    > make it sound as if it would have been easy to get full compatibility
    > between FD lenses and EOS bodies. The FD stuff didn't stop working with FD
    > bodies simply because the EOS system was introduced. Getting mad because a
    > company comes out with new products that don't work with their old
    > products,
    > is ridiculous.
    >
    > Nikon has retained the F mount but not all older F mount lenses work on
    > newer F mount bodies. And the F mount has a lot of baggage that is hurting
    > Nikon right now. Because of the back focus distance, they can't do
    > something
    > similar to what Canon did with the EF-s lenses, to compensate for the crop
    > factor. Nikon is eventually going to have to replace the F mount, then
    > you'll hear some serious screaming.

    > Many never get any more lenses, but I think a lot do get at least a
    > telephoto.[/ref]

    IMHO if the lens comes off your camera and can be replaced by another,
    you're now hooked. You will buy more lenses, at least that other cheap G
    lens if you have a D70, and may keep your old body to use as a second body.
    I think that's what some pros have done with the D70. When I worked
    professionally I always had two cameras around my neck.

    Sheldon Guest

  12. #12

    > They must be working on both, as well as a full frame professional model.
    > They want to compete in every segment of the Digital SLR market. Nikon's
    > problem is that they are behind Canon in sensor development, and sensor
    > development is difficult and time consuming.[/ref]

    But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront of
    technology. They take a wait/see and then stomp the competition, which is
    exactly what Nikon did with the D70. And most people are extremely loyal to
    Nikon or Canon. They will wait for the Nikon, rather than switch to a new
    standard.

    Sheldon Guest

  13. #13

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    <snip>

    Just curious, are you unclear on what the G means? They're not consumer
    lenses across the board. Some are, some are not. The G indicates it doesn't
    have an aperture ring, not the quality if the lens.

    For example, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens is a G lens. Do you consider it a
    consumer lens?

    I see this misconception repeatedly posted here.

    Tom

    Tom Guest

  14. #14

    "True211" <com> wrote in

    That makes sense. I've been reading rumors like crazy about this
    camera...and I've seen some of the prototype pics too.

    For example, here is one of the pics-

    http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/d50.jpg

    To confuse the hell out of first-time dSLR buyers like myself. I was
    set on the D70...then Canon had to drop the XT bomb and now Nikon is
    hitting us with this small silver bullet.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  15. #15

    "Tom Scales" <net> wrote in message

    > Just curious, are you unclear on what the G means? They're not consumer
    > lenses across the board. Some are, some are not. The G indicates it
    > doesn't have an aperture ring, not the quality if the lens.
    >
    > For example, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens is a G lens. Do you consider it a
    > consumer lens?
    >
    > I see this misconception repeatedly posted here.
    >[/ref]

    I was actually referring to that $100 zoom lens that picks up where the kit
    lens leaves off. You are correct, and sorry if I mislead anybody.
    Personally, I have a gaggle of Nikon lenses that go back to my old F, which
    is the reason I chose a Nikon DSLR over the Olympus or the Canon. I know
    there have been a lot of opinions on Nikon hanging onto that old lens
    mount, but I think that's been a smart marketing move on their part. I
    mean, I can still use 30 year old lenses that were great, and still are
    great, on a new camera with digital technology. Pretty cool, IMO.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  16. #16

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    kit
    which

    I agree that it was smart marketing. Every Nikon lens I own (about a dozen
    and
    going back to 1973) will work on my D70 and every Nikon lens I own, except
    the
    18-70 AF-D G DX, will work with every Nikon body I own (6, spanning 32
    years).
    Limitations? Yes. Just having an AF film or digital body didn't magically
    transform
    any of my MF lenses into AF...the only (slightly) annoying limitation is the
    lack of
    metering on the D70 with my oldest lenses...but that is pretty minor IMHO.
    This
    is pretty nice to have the luxury of using old lenses for infrequently used
    focal lengths.

    George

    George Guest

  17. #17

    Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge" of
    technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the '60s.
    Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
    auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof. Come to
    think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard pressed to
    think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or Canon.

    C Guest

  18. #18

    In article <com>,
    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote:

    > Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge" of
    > technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the '60s.
    > Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
    > auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof. Come to
    > think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard pressed to
    > think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or Canon.[/ref]

    I think Canon is the first to sell astrophotography versions of
    pro/consumer digicams.
    Kevin Guest

  19. #19

    Hi Sheldon,

    Sheldon wrote:
    of
    which is
    loyal to
    a new

    especially when "new standard" means that you get every half year an
    immature, error pledged camera. Take the 20D. Brand new camera, brand
    new battery grip. Both need to be sent to canon for a fix which takes
    weeks. Or look at the rate firmware updates arrive - I rather wait a
    bit longer but then get mature, usable and dependable equipment.

    How many firmware updates are about for the 20D, available for 3
    months, and how many for the D70? I rather make pictures than firmware
    downloads (and of course a new firmware only fixes pictures made
    afterwards, and a camera in warranty repair makes the worst possible
    pictures - none)

    Benedikt

    Benedikt Guest

  20. #20

    Hi Bill,

    Woodchuck Bill wrote:

    if you want a camera now and can afford one that is on the market, get
    it. There will always be an annouced camera the might be better. And
    buing a camera that is on the market for some time has the advantage
    taht other did the beta-testing for you (well, the canons seem to be
    dissapear once the beta testin pahse if doen ...)

    Benedikt Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast