Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D70 - Photography

Hello, I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to make this a life long hobby. Thanks for your patience, MS...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D70

    Hello,
    I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I
    recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had
    any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn
    thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am
    going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can
    anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should
    be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to
    make this a life long hobby.

    Thanks for your patience,
    MS
    MAtt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D70

    For the wedding set the camera ISO to 400 and put the camera into Program,
    let it do the work. You'll need to set your White Balance to the appropriate
    setting (probably Incandescent inside and Daylight outside) and set your
    Resolution to Large with Minimum JPEG compression. After that you'll be able
    to use your camera like an expensive point and shoot and get good quality
    images. You won't have to think about the camera, can enjoy the event and
    still be able to make some very nice prints for the bride and groom if you
    want to.

    Jeffery S. Harrison

    "MAtt" <mkswansocomcast.net> wrote in message
    news:e87924fa.0412032111.4c906b2aposting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    > I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I
    > recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had
    > any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn
    > thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am
    > going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can
    > anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should
    > be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to
    > make this a life long hobby.
    >
    > Thanks for your patience,
    > MS

    Jeffery Harrison Guest

  3. #3

    MAtt wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I
    > recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had
    > any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn
    > thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am
    > going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can
    > anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should
    > be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to
    > make this a life long hobby.
    >
    > Thanks for your patience,
    > MS

    Check out this site: Alot of good info!
    [url]http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/lessons.html[/url]

    Kurt Heinen Guest

  4. #4

    > I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.

    Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
    December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
    decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
    but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
    else manage to get hold of Thom.

    © John © Guest

  5. #5

    > I can't speak to your situation, in my case paying through PayPal I
    > received confirmation from them almost immediately. I received an e-mail
    > from Thom 2 days later stating it would ship the following day and
    > received
    > the product shortly thereafter. The eBook itself is quite technical, much
    > better than the Dennis Curtain book on my old 990.
    Does Thom read this group or could someone kindly ask him to check his
    email, thanks.

    © John © Guest

  6. #6

    In article <4a07r0905riubnf6okbot1q5307a5s40eq4ax.com>, [email]egruf_usenetcox.net[/email]
    says...

    >On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:17:21 -0000, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "© John
    >©" <johnjohn.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>> I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.
    >>
    >>Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
    >>December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
    >>decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
    >>but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
    >>else manage to get hold of Thom.
    >
    >I can't speak to your situation, in my case paying through PayPal I
    >received confirmation from them almost immediately. I received an e-mail
    >from Thom 2 days later stating it would ship the following day and received
    >the product shortly thereafter. The eBook itself is quite technical, much
    >better than the Dennis Curtain book on my old 990.
    >_________________________________________________ _______
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (UsenetEdwardG.Ruf.com)
    >[url]http://EdwardGRuf.com[/url]
    I too got almost immediate confirmation via PayPal. I have not received either
    an additonal e-mail, or the product, but it's only been one "working day."
    What sold me on the Tom Hogan book, was my ex-partner's recommendation. He's a
    crusty old sort, with about 40 years heavy-duty advertising photo background,
    and more of a "doer," than a "learner." When HE praised the e-book, I knew
    that it must be quite good. Here's hoping!

    Hunt

    Hunt Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:17:21 -0000, "© John ©" <johnjohn.com.invalid>
    wrote:
    >> I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.
    >
    >Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
    >December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
    >decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
    >but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
    >else manage to get hold of Thom.

    He goes on dpreview's D70 forum all the time. You might want to try
    contacting him there.
    Solly Guest

  8. #8

    In article <pcffr0tqmjndgrlg8vc6bisdivig48l0034ax.com>, [email]solaol.com[/email] says...
    > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:17:21 -0000, "© John ©" <johnjohn.com.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.
    > >
    > >Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
    > >December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
    > >decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
    > >but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
    > >else manage to get hold of Thom.
    > >
    > He goes on dpreview's D70 forum all the time. You might want to try
    > contacting him there.
    It seems a bit strange that someone competent to put together an authoritative
    book on a complicated digital camera in 2004 can not discover how to provide
    a method for purchasing it online without the necessity of mailing you a
    CD-ROM over the much more convenient immediate download.

    Randy Howard Guest

  9. #9

    "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c22d3e8866e2ddc989d14news.verizon.net.. .

    > It seems a bit strange that someone competent to put together an
    > authoritative
    > book on a complicated digital camera in 2004 can not discover how to
    > provide
    > a method for purchasing it online without the necessity of mailing you a
    > CD-ROM over the much more convenient immediate download.

    ----------------
    Thom gave a detailed the reason for this in the Dpreview forum. I don't
    remember the details but the explanation seemed reasonable (dealing with
    copywrite protection, I think).
    FWIW I had no problem at all with my order.
    Don F

    Don Farias Guest

  10. #10

    In article <1kAud.2555$Qk5.1413lakeread04>, [email]donf11NOSPAMhome.com[/email] says...

    > "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1c22d3e8866e2ddc989d14news.verizon.net.. .
    > >
    > > It seems a bit strange that someone competent to put together an
    > > authoritative
    > > book on a complicated digital camera in 2004 can not discover how to
    > > provide
    > > a method for purchasing it online without the necessity of mailing you a
    > > CD-ROM over the much more convenient immediate download.
    > >
    > ----------------
    > Thom gave a detailed the reason for this in the Dpreview forum. I don't
    > remember the details but the explanation seemed reasonable (dealing with
    > copywrite protection, I think).
    > FWIW I had no problem at all with my order.
    It's very simple, almost every real software vendor provides a means to
    purchase products online and download them. Usually this involves emailing
    a secure code to download with.

    Randy Howard Guest

  11. #11

    Rita

    Rita Guest

  12. #12

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:06:47 -0500, "Rita Ä Berkowitz"
    <com> wrote:

    Stop being so damn argumentative.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nikon D70 (Firmware)

    Owamanga wrote:

    > Stop being so damn argumentative.[/ref]

    LOL!!! Sorry, I have been experiencing problems with my registry file. All
    is well now.

    I was asking if anyone updated their firmware yet? If so, was it worth it?
    I'm not having any problems with the last revision and generally don't do
    updates till absolutely necessary. Thanks.

    Rita

    Rita Guest

  14. #14

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    If you shoot in adobeRGB and sometimes go to A or P mode, that'll force
    it back to sRGB but there is a bug which tags the file as adobeRGB so
    the colors are interpreted incorrectly. That's the only thing this
    update does.
    paul Guest

  15. #15

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:14:27 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Rita
    Ä Berkowitz" <com> wrote:

    Nikon D70 Firmware B update for Windows
    Issues addressed with B firmware version 1.0.3

    When the mode dial was set to an exposure mode (P, S, A, or M) and II
    selected for the Color mode setting in the Custom item of the Optimize
    image menu, and then an option other than Custom (such as Portrait)
    selected from the Optimize image menu, JPEG images captured after this
    procedure were recognized as having the Adobe RGB color space when opened
    in applications with a color-management function such as Adobe® Photoshop®.
    This problem has been corrected.

    Seems like a very specific set of cirstances that right now I find
    myself having problems ever getting into. At this point, I'm passing.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  16. #16

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:14:27 -0500, "Rita Ä Berkowitz"
    <com> wrote:

    I just finished updating the firmware to 1.03. Everything
    went smoothly. Do I need it? It's possible. The thing is (and this
    is a personal thing), I just hate to have a little flaw nagging at me
    several weeks down the road, wondering, "What did that update do,
    again?"
    Mind you, I did once bugger up a motherboard bios chip while
    flashing it. So there was a bit of trepidation there, but it's done.
    Worth it? Well, I was being impulsive. I had intended to wait a
    week or two (or three) and see which way the wind blew on this one. I
    ended up waiting about five minutes. This means that (morally) I have
    compromised my opinion, so I'll shut up now. Ken
    Ken Guest

  17. #17

    In article <com>,
    Ken Palmateer <ca> wrote:

    > I just finished updating the firmware to 1.03. Everything
    >went smoothly. Do I need it? It's possible. The thing is (and this
    >is a personal thing), I just hate to have a little flaw nagging at me
    >several weeks down the road, wondering, "What did that update do,
    >again?"
    > Mind you, I did once bugger up a motherboard bios chip while
    >flashing it. So there was a bit of trepidation there, but it's done.
    >Worth it? Well, I was being impulsive. I had intended to wait a
    >week or two (or three) and see which way the wind blew on this one. I
    >ended up waiting about five minutes. This means that (morally) I have
    >compromised my opinion, so I'll shut up now. Ken[/ref]

    FWIW -- while there are instructions for only Windows and
    Macintosh, a bit of reading of the details shows that neither is truly
    necessary, if you have:

    1) An "unzip" program for your computer. (Readily available free
    for various unix variants, and even supplied stock with some.)

    2) A way to get the unzipped file onto a CF card which has been
    formatted in the D70.

    So -- I just managed the upgrade, and no Windows were necessary.

    And note that it is possible to make a system fault-tolerant of
    a Flash RAM upgrade. Sun's Ultra-2 machines (at least) have two copies
    of the firmware, and the upgrade process involves moving a jumper on the
    motherboard (so you can't accidentally alter the Flash), and then
    copying the upgrade over one of the two copies present, verifying that
    happened cleanly, and then copying the first over the second. A pity
    more systems don't do that.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  18. #18

    In article <cs56ji$pbr$d-and-d.com>,
    com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks for saving me the trouble
    to investigate it.

    Do you just put it in the top directory or does it need to be in a
    specific folder ? (I suppose I could read the instructions, but that
    takes all the fun out of it... :-)

    thanks,

    bruno.
    bruno Guest

  19. #19

    In article <net>,
    <"bruno" com> wrote:

    >I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks for saving me the trouble
    >to investigate it.
    >
    >Do you just put it in the top directory or does it need to be in a
    >specific folder ?[/ref]

    It *must* be in the top directory. If in a folder, the camera
    won't find it.

    Yep!. :-)

    You're welcome. Glad to be of help to someone in my first days
    in this newsgroup.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

  20. #20

    On 13 Jan 2005 02:05:22 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

    This was true for my CP-990 and 5700.