Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D70 and Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6D lense - Photography

I purchased the kit at Christmas...like the kit lense, but wanted more telephoto. The idea of a wide range lese was appealing, and I bought the D series lense in the subject line as I saw several comments that this was a better lense than the newer G version.. While I did get the additional zoom, I also got a noisier, slower focusing lense with a minimum focus length of about 4'-6' .I used the lense for about 2 days, decided I made a mistake, and am selling it. I am now looking to buy the G version, and hope ...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D70 and Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6D lense

    I purchased the kit at Christmas...like the kit lense, but wanted more
    telephoto. The idea of a wide range lese was appealing, and I bought the D
    series lense in the subject line as I saw several comments that this was a
    better lense than the newer G version.. While I did get the additional zoom,
    I also got a noisier, slower focusing lense with a minimum focus length of
    about 4'-6' .I used the lense for about 2 days, decided I made a mistake,
    and am selling it.

    I am now looking to buy the G version, and hope that it operates as quickly
    and quietly as the kit lense. I see that the minimum focus length is 1.3 ft.
    Will I be dissapointed with that lense as well? I would really like a lense
    with this range.

    Thanks for your input.

    Mike

    "There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few
    who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the
    electric fence for themselves."

    - From 'The Wisdom of Will Rogers'

    Maintane Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D70 and Nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6D lense

    Maintane wrote:

    I got that lens but have nothing to compare it to. It is decidedly soft
    at 200mm.
    paul Guest

  3. #3

    In article <QKxRd.94569$tampabay.rr.com>,
    "Maintane" <com> wrote:

    The kit lens has an internal motor (the S in AF-S) and will focus much
    faster and quieter than most other Nikon lenses. There are other Nikon
    lenses that do have the internal motor but they are pretty expensive for
    the most part. If you want that focal range, you will have to put up
    with some compromises in image quality and I don't think they make and
    AF-S with that range.

    In other words, I think that you might be disappointed by the G as well.

    Sorry.....

    Edwin
    Edwin Guest

  4. #4

    "Edwin Hurwitz" <com> wrote in message

    > The kit lens has an internal motor (the S in AF-S) and will focus much
    > faster and quieter than most other Nikon lenses. There are other Nikon
    > lenses that do have the internal motor but they are pretty expensive for
    > the most part. If you want that focal range, you will have to put up
    > with some compromises in image quality and I don't think they make and
    > AF-S with that range.
    >
    > In other words, I think that you might be disappointed by the G as well.
    >

    > Sorry.....
    >

    > Edwin[/ref]

    I am too, but thanks for the info, Edwin. If I do decide to get the "G"
    version, at least it will have a more acceptable minimum focus length. I was
    really hoping to match the speed and quietness of the kit lense. Thanks for
    the heads-up on the "S" as the designator for the internal motor. Do you
    have an opinion on whether the "G" at least as good as the "D" in image
    quality and otherwise?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Maintane Guest

  5. #5

    A good second D70 lens which gives me excellant results is a Tamron LD
    28-105 f2.8-2.8. Pricey ($800? My wife bought two for the weddings and
    are super good on the F100's too) Just remember to stop it down to 5.6
    or more for groups - 2.8 leaves the folks on the ends and in the back
    row a bit soft. I also shoot with an older (mid 1990's) Nikon ED 80-200
    f2.8. when I need more reach which cost $420 on Ebay. Focus is
    slow/noisey but it sure is bright and crisp. My next lens will be the
    Nikon 10.5mm. I tried one and the Nikon Capture software is setup to
    correct the fisheye distortion. Pretty darn cool.

    Swriter33 Guest

  6. #6

    In article <LMARd.94638$tampabay.rr.com>,
    "Maintane" <com> wrote:

    I haven't used either lens, but in general, I tend to distrust G series
    lenses. Perhaps it's an unwarranted bias, but there it is! I know that
    they are lighter and with a D70 not having an aperture ring doesn't make
    a difference. I am pretty old school, though, and most of my lenses have
    been chosen for backwards compatibility to my FM2n. I also try to buy
    lenses with ED glass. For the 200mm length, I have a 80-200 AFD 2.8
    (great, great optics! Head and shoulders above lenses like the 28-200)
    and also the 70-300 3.5-5.6 (or whatever it is) ED, and it also has very
    nice optics, although not as nice as the 80-200. I have found that zooms
    that go from wide angle to telephoto tend not to excel at either and
    really, I would rather have a fixed wide angle and a fixed telephoto as
    they will provide better optics at a better price (and usually a faster
    aperture). If I need to get a different perspective I zoom with my feet!

    HTH, but everyone has different needs.
    Edwin
    Edwin Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for all the replies...now I face some tough choices. I would like the
    convenience of the 28-200 mounted all the time, and would find a little
    softness to be acceptable. I just don't know about the focus noise and
    speed.

    Mike

    "Maintane" <com> wrote in message

    Maintane Guest

  8. #8

    In article <LMARd.94638$tampabay.rr.com>,
    Maintane <com> wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    [ ... ]
     [/ref][/ref]

    [ ... ]
     [/ref]

    [ ... ]

    You might want to consider two separate lenses. I don't have
    the lens which comes with the kit, but instead a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D.
    That lens does not have the reach that my other lens has (an older
    180mm f2.8 -- nice optics and nice speed, but no zoom), but the 28-105mm
    *does* have that you want in close focusing. It has a switch on the
    body just between the zoom ring and the focus ring which enables a
    "macro" mode -- as long as the zoom is between 50mm and 105mm, it will
    focus down to something like 2" from the front element. This covers
    about 1-5/8" in the horizontal format and about 1-1/8" in the vertical.

    So this lens, in combination with one in the 70-200mm range
    might be a good pair for you. Note that this lens does use the camera
    body's motor for autofocus, so you will still get the noise which you
    object to -- unless you manually focus.

    My 180mm f2.8 fixed focal length lens has been retrofitted with
    a CPU chip, so while it does not do autofocus, it does do the exposure
    control very nicely. (The CPU lies, however, in that it claims that the
    lens is a 300mm in what is recorded with the image, instead of the true
    180mm, or even the 270mm equivalent coverage on a full-frame camera.

    Note, also, that the same lens on a N90s body is faster in the
    autofocus -- a bit more power being allotted to the motor, I guess.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest