Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D70 + Auto Mode - Photography

Hi, A new entry into world of photography, I have just bought a Nikon D70 + Nikor Lens 18-70mm (comes with the set). For the first snap I set the Auto Mode and clicked a scenery. It came blurred :-( Then in Auto Mode only i set the focus to infinity and clicked the photograph and snap came fine. The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot in Auto Mode? Eagerly ...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D70 + Auto Mode

    Hi,
    A new entry into world of photography, I have just bought a Nikon D70
    + Nikor Lens 18-70mm (comes with the set).

    For the first snap I set the Auto Mode and clicked a scenery. It came
    blurred :-(
    Then in Auto Mode only i set the focus to infinity and clicked the
    photograph and snap came fine.

    The Query: Why in Auto Mode Do I have to set the focus? Also in Auto
    Mode zooming the snap (for a scenery) without setting the focus
    resulted in blurred photograph. Does D70 not work like Point-And-Shoot
    in Auto Mode?

    Eagerly waiting for the reply
    -Anirudh
    Anirudh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D70 + Auto Mode

    In article <google.com>,
    Anirudh <com> wrote:

    There is a switch on the front of the camera, near the button
    which releases the lens to allow changing it. That switch has two
    positions:

    AF

    If in the "M" (Manual) setting, it disables the autofocus, and
    allows the lens' focus ring to be easily turned.

    If in the "AF" (AutoFocus) setting, you should not be able to
    easily turn the focus ring on the lens, and attempting to do so may well
    damage the gearing in the lens or the camera.

    So -- one may hope that your switch is in the "M" position, and
    that you have not damaged the camera or lens by fighting the autofocus
    mechanism.

    Best of luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  3. #3

    On 30 Jan 2005 21:25:24 -0800, com (Anirudh) wrote:

    You don't, the Camera will auto focus in any mode, providing the switch by the
    lens is set to that position.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
    Christopher Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Thanks for the quick response.

    The Lens has 2 setting modes
    1. A/M <-- This one is set
    2. M

    The Camera has two setting modes
    1. A <--- This one is set
    2. M

    The Auto mode is set for both cases. Then why setting focus manually?
    (The focus ring is moving as smooth as it can)
    Another Question then from me. Does no focus need to be set for other
    pre-programmed shooting options? (like potrait, sports mode etc.)

    Some setting option I am missing in D70?

    btw tried sports mode, night scenery mode (setting the focus manually
    in all cases) and results were simply excellent.

    -Tx
    Anirudh

    Anirudh Guest

  5. #5

    Anirudh <com> wrote:

    See the Tutorial section on Basic Photography in the manual,
    Step 5 - Focus, especially on pressing the shutter button half-way
    to set the autofocus. It's possible (but unlikely) that depending
    on how the camera was set up and what you were pointing at, it
    couldn't establish a focus.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:56:26 +0200, Ken Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    >See the Tutorial section on Basic Photography in the manual,
    >Step 5 - Focus, especially on pressing the shutter button half-way
    >to set the autofocus. It's possible (but unlikely) that depending
    >on how the camera was set up and what you were pointing at, it
    >couldn't establish a focus.[/ref]

    The default settings shouldn't let you take a photo unless you have focus
    lock.

    Try:

    1. Toggle the AF/M switch on the lens to M and back again (to make sure
    it's properly selected).

    2. Do the same with the A/M switch on the camera body.

    3. Reset most of the camera's settings with the "two-button reset" (see p.
    111 in the manual). To do this: hold down the BKT button (top-left of the
    colour LCD) and the button just behind and to the left of the
    shutter-release button for more than two seconds (both are marked with a
    green dot).

    4. Check that setting 2 on the custom settings menu (Autofocus) is set to
    AF-S ... this will only allow the camera to release the shutter when it has
    focus.

    If you can still take photos that are out of focus, then it _may_ be that
    something's wrong with the camera or the lens.

    Regards,
    Graham Guest

  7. #7

    Graham Holden <of.post> wrote:

    Or perhaps its focussing on something unintended? If the default
    in those modes is 'closest object' then perhaps what's in focus
    isn't what you expect.
    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    DoN. Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    I'm just guessing here, but there could be a few problems going on, and keep
    in mind that autofocus ain't perfect.

    1. I think the M/A setting on the "lens" allows you to easily override the
    autofocus.

    2. When in Auto mode (on the camera) you have little control over anything.
    Also, the focus shifts to whatever the closest object is to the camera, but
    if you switch over to P mode you can zero in on what you want to focus on.
    Each shooting mode has it's own focus mode.

    3. In dim lighting, flat lighting, or situations where the camera just
    can't figure out what to focus on, you will have problems. Sometimes I have
    no idea what the camera is trying to focus on.

    Play with the camera a bit more before you decide there is something wrong.

    "Anirudh" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  10. #10

    Kuel ..... Got it working as desired :-)
    the
    the

    This was the culprit ...I turned slightly and got a click noise and i
    knew "Auto Focus" should work great and it did .

    Also

    I did a typo, it is indeed 1. AF & 2. M

    The lens is one with the kit ... "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm
    f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens "

    Tx for whole load of combinations of inputs :-)
    Thanks to everyone for all their input

    Anirudh Guest

  11. #11

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    Anirudh <com> wrote:
    >the
    >the
    >
    >This was the culprit ...I turned slightly and got a click noise and i
    >knew "Auto Focus" should work great and it did .[/ref]

    Great! I kept trying to think of what could cause the behavior
    which you were experiencing, and decided to test whether that was
    possible, and once I discovered that it was, I added it to the list.

    >I did a typo, it is indeed 1. AF & 2. M[/ref]

    O.K. I was hoping that that was the cause of my confusion.

    >The lens is one with the kit ... "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm
    >f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens "[/ref]

    O.K. One which I have no direct experience with -- which is why
    I did not even know of the A/M switch on the lens itself.

    I'm glad that you got it working as it should.

    Happy shooting,
    DoN.