Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon D70 spot meter covers 5% of the viewing area - Photography

Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon. http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=868 Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's not so good looking about one of their major customers. Hmmm ... interesting. - Siddhartha...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D70 spot meter covers 5% of the viewing area

    Ok, this might be old news to many but I just came across Pop Photo's
    review of Nikon D70 and it says that D70's spot meter covers 5% of
    viewing area and not 1% as stated by Nikon.

    http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=868

    Although, I don't have much regard for Pop Photo because I see them
    mostly as advert rag but in this case they published something that's
    not so good looking about one of their major customers.

    Hmmm ... interesting.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  2. #2

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message
    -------------
    I just read through the review twice and nowhere can I find your reference
    to the spot meter coverage. The center weighted metering layout is
    discussed.
    I know you must have read it so please point out where the spot meter
    reference is located.
    Thanks,
    Don F

    Don Guest

  3. #3

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message

    As much as everyone seems to trash them the mag does pretty good. If you're
    not reading it you are missing something. I subscribe to that one, Outdoor
    photographer and Digital Photo Pro. I wish I had time for Shutterbug and the
    one with all the s (American Photo?).

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    > -------------
    reference

    You read it twice ??

    Here it is :
    The D70 is the first DSLR with adjustable centerweighted metering, a real
    plus (see graphs). But its spotmeter measures 5 percent of the viewing area,
    not 1 percent as claimed.

    Here is the full text (
    http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=868 )
    :
    In May 2004, we published the world's first hands-on report of the new 6MP
    $999 Nikon D70 ("War Is Declared!"). Now, using a standard production
    camera, here are the results of our lab and field tests.
    The D70 starts up and is ready to fire in a split second, faster than any
    other digital SLR in its class. Its AF speed matches the earlier Nikon D100,
    but it bests the D100 in burst mode. Our tests captured up to 12
    fine-quality JPEGs at 3 fps and 144 normal-quality JPEGs at the same rate.
    In RAW NEF mode, it was 4 images at 2.5 fps.

    While bright, the viewfinder's magnification isn't the D100's 0.83X.
    Instead, it's 0.76X. This means a slight tunnel-vision effect, but not as
    much as the Olympus E-1.

    The D70 is the first DSLR with adjustable centerweighted metering, a real
    plus (see graphs). But its spotmeter measures 5 percent of the viewing area,
    not 1 percent as claimed. White balance can be fine-tuned 3 settings toward
    blue or red. Custom white balance can be measured off a white card or copied
    from a photo. Optional Nikon Capture 4 software ($99) lets you download
    custom contrast curves or control the camera from a computer.

    The D70's image quality is extremely high. In our color accuracy tests
    comparing fine-quality JPEGs, the D70 beat the D100 and Canon's $899 EOS
    Digital Rebel and scored higher than any other 6MP DSLR.

    At ISO 200, noise was low, but higher than the Digital Rebel's. It also was
    low at ISO 800. With moderate noise at ISO 1600, the D70 is, overall, an
    exceptional performer.

    Bottom line: If you can live with the lower magnification of the viewfinder
    and a 1.5X 35mm lens factor (though a plus for tele work), the D70
    represents a grand well spent.

    http://www.popularphotography.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=868

    Chuck Guest

  5. #5

    Chuck <com> wrote:

    That's all they say about it, nothing to back it up, and you believe it
    because, what, it's in one of the lamest photo magazines out there?

    It sounds to me like the author is confused between the "spot meter" and
    the smallest setting of the adjustable center-weighted meter.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  6. #6

    I never said I believed it, I just said it was in the text. I dont have to
    believe it or not, I have a 20D.

    Chuck Guest

  7. #7

    "Chuck" <com> wrote in message

    Which does not have a spot metering mode at all.

    C Guest

  8. #8

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    it
    And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
    company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
    methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
    tested it then maybe they could comment.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  9. #9

    > it
    > And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
    > company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
    > methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
    > tested it then maybe they could comment.
    > - Siddhartha
    >[/ref]
    ----------
    You are probably right about the exaggerated claim but understand Nikon
    never claimed spot meter coverage of 1%.
    Nikon manual states (page 75) "camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09") in
    diameter (approximately 1% of frame)."
    The CCD is 23.7 mm X 15.6 mm which is 369.72 sq mm in area. The 2.3 mm
    circle has an area of 4.15 sq mm (if I remember my math correctly). That
    results in a area of ~.01 which is APPROXIMATELY 1% of the frame area. That
    is the physical makeup of the camera.
    I am sure that the light sensor may be influenced by the light surrounding
    it to some degree.
    I was curious enough to do a simple spot metering test to see the
    practical effect of metering with the D70. I placed a chart with lines and
    bold faced type about 18" from the camera and at a slight angle to the light
    source. The D70 spot meter gave me a reading change of 1/100 sec. 5.6
    vs.: 1/125 sec. 5.6 when I swept the chart at a distance change of <
    3/16".
    In other words, the spot meter measured less than 1/4 f stop change in
    brightness *repeatedly* when rotated less than 3/16" about the same
    reference line. That is a very small distance when looking through the view
    finder even at the minimum focusing distance of my lens.
    I realize fully that this is *not* a scientific test. It is meant only as
    a empirical quick evaluation of the D70 spot meter as *I* would use it,
    nothing more.
    I know there are some with more knowledge than I have on the subject who
    might be kind enough to add to the discussion.
    Regards,
    Don F

    Don Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:57:58 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    >Which does not have a spot metering mode at all.[/ref]

    Yes it does, it's just a 100% spot meter.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:50:21 -0500, "Don F" <com>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    I was thinking of doing a similar test, but use a laser pointer spot
    in a darkish room to identify where exactly the meter is (it may not
    line up with the viewfinder oval) and how big it is.

    Second thoughts; not knowing doesn't bother me that much.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  12. #12

    Owamanga wrote:

    > Yes it does, it's just a 100% spot meter.[/ref]

    LOL.

    Alan Guest

  13. #13

    wrote:

    >> it
    >> And thats exactly why I posted it to the NG. I don't believe any
    >> company's marketing claims anymore that I believe Pop Photo's testing
    >> methodologies. So I posted this so that if someone's independantly
    >> tested it then maybe they could comment.
    >> - Siddhartha
    >>[/ref]
    >----------
    > You are probably right about the exaggerated claim but understand Nikon
    >never claimed spot meter coverage of 1%.
    > Nikon manual states (page 75) "camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09") in
    >diameter (approximately 1% of frame)."
    > The CCD is 23.7 mm X 15.6 mm which is 369.72 sq mm in area. The 2.3 mm
    >circle has an area of 4.15 sq mm (if I remember my math correctly). That
    >results in a area of ~.01 which is APPROXIMATELY 1% of the frame area. That
    >is the physical makeup of the camera.
    > I am sure that the light sensor may be influenced by the light surrounding
    >it to some degree.
    > I was curious enough to do a simple spot metering test to see the
    >practical effect of metering with the D70. I placed a chart with lines and
    >bold faced type about 18" from the camera and at a slight angle to the light
    >source. The D70 spot meter gave me a reading change of 1/100 sec. 5.6
    >vs.: 1/125 sec. 5.6 when I swept the chart at a distance change of <
    >3/16".
    > In other words, the spot meter measured less than 1/4 f stop change in
    >brightness *repeatedly* when rotated less than 3/16" about the same
    >reference line. That is a very small distance when looking through the view
    >finder even at the minimum focusing distance of my lens.
    > I realize fully that this is *not* a scientific test. It is meant only as
    >a empirical quick evaluation of the D70 spot meter as *I* would use it,
    >nothing more.
    > I know there are some with more knowledge than I have on the subject who
    >might be kind enough to add to the discussion.
    >Regards,[/ref]
    I mounted the camera on a tripod looking vertically at a dark
    oak-square floor, with a tile crossing in the center of the central
    focus target. With the room lights and window, the floor exposure was
    0.60 sec at f/3.5 and iso 200.

    A sheet of white printer paper filling much of the field gave 1/10
    sec. More than 2 stops difference.

    I took a series of exposures shifting the edge of the paper across the
    frame. In Photoshop, I opened the files and found which frames had
    the transitions.

    The width of the spot is between 234 and 265 pixels out of 6008. The
    mean of these is about 250, which results in a circular spot with
    about 15,000 pixels out of 6 Mpixels. Roughly 0.007 of the total, or
    about 1 %.

    It would be nice if the viewfinder got a red circle when in spotmeter
    mode, so you could see just what is in it. It doesn't do this. I guess
    one could overlay a circle on a full-frae print in Photoshop, and get
    used to the relative size.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

    Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
    Rodney Guest

  14. #14

    Rodney Myrvaagnes <net> wrote:

    I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
    selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
    work that way).

    Is that not right?

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:44:52 +0200, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Ken
    Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    >I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
    >selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
    >work that way).
    >
    >Is that not right?[/ref]

    Mostly, unless focus is set to Closest Subject.. From p75,
    Camera meters circle 2.3 mm (0.09) in diameter (approximately 1% of
    frame). Circle is centered on current focus area, making it possible to
    meter off-center subjects (if Closest subject is selected for AF-area mode,
    camera will meter center focus area). Ensures that subject will be
    correctly exposed, even when back ground is much brighter or darker.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  16. #16

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:44:52 +0200, Ken Tough <co.uk>
    wrote:

    >I was under the impression it spot metered roughly on the
    >selected focus area, not the central spot. (At least it seemed to
    >work that way).
    >
    >Is that not right?[/ref]
    That is correct. I measured it in the center. I don't know any reason
    to believe it is different in other parts of the screen.

    If the AF is set to "focus on nearest" the meter spot stay in the
    center, acccording to the manual.