Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon F100 battery problems - Photography

You said nothing about the type or condition of the batteries you are using. Hard to say. The obvious first thing to try is a set of batteries in known condition. New and fully charged or new primary cells. Try some AA lithiums. Assuming that has been done already, all I can think of is that some early F100's had their battery voltage threshold set to high and so was shutting down before it needed to. Chris Wakeen wrote: > Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more > accurately, the weak battery symbol shows ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Nikon F100 battery problems

    Chris Wakeen wrote:
    > Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more
    > accurately, the weak battery symbol shows on the LCD. When it shows, the
    > camera will not function. But if I turn the camera off and then on, the
    > camera will work but the symbol will usually show again rather quickly. I
    > tried cleaning the contacts on the MB-15 and on the camera. Is this a known
    > problem?
    columbotrek Guest

  2. #2

    "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more
    >accurately, the weak battery symbol shows on the LCD. When it shows, the
    >camera will not function. But if I turn the camera off and then on, the
    >camera will work but the symbol will usually show again rather quickly. I
    >tried cleaning the contacts on the MB-15 and on the camera. Is this a known
    >problem?
    Yes, battery consumption is an issue with the F100.

    T P Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for all the replies. Has Nikon solved this problem with newer F100s?
    Is this something that Nikon can "fix"?

    "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more
    > >accurately, the weak battery symbol shows on the LCD. When it shows, the
    > >camera will not function. But if I turn the camera off and then on, the
    > >camera will work but the symbol will usually show again rather quickly. I
    > >tried cleaning the contacts on the MB-15 and on the camera. Is this a
    known
    > >problem?
    >
    > Yes, battery consumption is an issue with the F100.

    Chris Wakeen Guest

  4. #4

    In article <rbh6hvkjjn4son3oq99indnbll95794tsk4ax.com>, [email]tpnospam.com[/email]
    says...
    > "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more
    > >accurately, the weak battery symbol shows on the LCD. When it shows, the
    > >camera will not function. But if I turn the camera off and then on, the
    > >camera will work but the symbol will usually show again rather quickly. I
    > >tried cleaning the contacts on the MB-15 and on the camera. Is this a known
    > >problem?
    >
    > Yes, battery consumption is an issue with the F100.

    I havent had a problem with battery conption using Litiums or the MN-
    15 battery, but once you get the half power symbol it does appear to die
    very quickly.

    --
    James Grove
    [url]www.planet-images.com[/url]

  5. #5

    "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >Thanks for all the replies. Has Nikon solved this problem with newer F100s?
    >Is this something that Nikon can "fix"?

    I believe that newer F100s are much better, but
    they are still comparatively heavy on batteries.

    I've not been able to find a serial number after
    which they were 'improved', but I will try.

    T P Guest

  6. #6

    I've had my F100 since the model first came out (1999) and definitely
    haven't had battery consumption issues. I've shot thousands of shots, but
    have only had to replace the batteries at most twice a year. I've always
    used lithiums--maybe that makes a difference. Of course I've sent my F100
    in a couple of times for repair, so perhaps they "fixed" the "problem" then.
    I DO have the improved rewind spool, so who knows?
    "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Lately a couple of my F100s seem to really consume batteries. Or more
    > >accurately, the weak battery symbol shows on the LCD. When it shows, the
    > >camera will not function. But if I turn the camera off and then on, the
    > >camera will work but the symbol will usually show again rather quickly. I
    > >tried cleaning the contacts on the MB-15 and on the camera. Is this a
    known
    > >problem?
    >
    > Yes, battery consumption is an issue with the F100.

    Wes J Guest

  7. #7

    T P wrote:

    > "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for all the replies. Has Nikon solved this problem with newer F100s?
    > >Is this something that Nikon can "fix"?
    >
    > I believe that newer F100s are much better, but
    > they are still comparatively heavy on batteries.
    >
    > I've not been able to find a serial number after
    > which they were 'improved', but I will try.
    The improvement could be something as invisible to the user as a
    firmware upgrade, loaded when the camera is sent for service. Stuff like
    power control could be partly a firmware issue, especially if there is
    no hard on/off switch. They wouldn't necessarily mention an upgrade in
    the service report and a product with a long lifetime would normally be
    the subject of many incremental design improvements, some of which would
    not be seen by the user at all. That's why (in general) a late serial
    number item is usually a better bet for products with a high electronics
    / software content, if you are buying s/hand.

    Strange that the F100 should have a battery problem, since the F4
    doesn't, has 4 motors and is an earlier design. Subjectively, batteries
    seem to last for quite a long time with the F4...

    Chris
    Chris Quayle Guest

  8. #8

    On 15-Jul-2003, "William Graham" <weg9comcast.net> wrote:
    > Mark Tuccillo <mark.tuccillocox.net> wrote in message
    > news:be120403.0307150610.62ebbd22posting.google.c om...
    > > My F100 will get about 20 rolls from a fresh set of Duracells,
    > > although this is somewhat conditional on what I am shooting. However,
    > > I now use Lithiums exclusively and they last about 50-55 rolls. With
    > > both technologies, as soon as the battery indicator shows less then
    > > full, its game over. I can usually tell when the indicator is about to
    > > change status because the film advance will slow slightly. I then
    > > change batteries irrespective of battery indicator. Basically, the
    > > battery indicator is useless for anything but as an indicator of why
    > > the camera will not fire.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >
    > You can improve this by hand cranking your film back into the cassett
    > after
    > use, instead of using the auto-rewind feature....This is what I do with my
    > F5, and I am still working on my first set of lithiums after nearly a
    > year.....
    Hand cranking is very difficult on the F100... about the same as the D100
    ;->

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    [url]www.creative-light.com[/url]

  9. #9

    Tom Thackrey <tomnrcreative-light.com> wrote in message
    news:qn_Qa.972$MB7.345newssvr22.news.prodigy.com. ..

    > On 15-Jul-2003, "William Graham" <weg9comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Mark Tuccillo <mark.tuccillocox.net> wrote in message
    > > news:be120403.0307150610.62ebbd22posting.google.c om...
    > > > My F100 will get about 20 rolls from a fresh set of Duracells,
    > > > although this is somewhat conditional on what I am shooting. However,
    > > > I now use Lithiums exclusively and they last about 50-55 rolls. With
    > > > both technologies, as soon as the battery indicator shows less then
    > > > full, its game over. I can usually tell when the indicator is about to
    > > > change status because the film advance will slow slightly. I then
    > > > change batteries irrespective of battery indicator. Basically, the
    > > > battery indicator is useless for anything but as an indicator of why
    > > > the camera will not fire.
    > > >
    > > > Mark
    > > >
    > > You can improve this by hand cranking your film back into the cassett
    > > after
    > > use, instead of using the auto-rewind feature....This is what I do with
    my
    > > F5, and I am still working on my first set of lithiums after nearly a
    > > year.....
    >
    > Hand cranking is very difficult on the F100... about the same as the D100
    > ;->
    >
    > --
    > Tom Thackrey
    Ahhhhh.....Another reason why I'm glad I purchased the F5.....:^)

    William Graham Guest

  10. #10

    "Tom Thackrey" <tomnrcreative-light.com> wrote:
    >Hand cranking is very difficult on the F100... about the same as the D100
    >;->

    ROTFL!!!!

    (visions of William E Graham frantically pressing buttons in an
    attempt to persuade the film back into its canister!)

    T P Guest