Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon lens compatibility... - Photography

I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc. The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations, and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well. If there is a good website that spells all of this out a link would be great. Thanks......

  1. #1

    Default Nikon lens compatibility...

    I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.

    The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.

    If there is a good website that spells all of this out a
    link would be great.

    Thanks...
    Randy Howard Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon lens compatibility...

    Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:
    > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    >
    > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    Lenses are fine, except for dealing with the crap factor, you're going
    to need a new speedlight with the new generation of nikon digital
    stuff (d2x,d2h.d70)

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    In article <m2brd546yq.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>, [email]pack-newsrattus.net[/email] says...
    > Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:
    >
    > > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    > > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    > > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    > >
    > > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    > > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    > > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    >
    > Lenses are fine, except for dealing with the crap factor,
    "Crap factor" ??
    > you're going to need a new speedlight with the new generation of
    > nikon digital stuff (d2x,d2h.d70)
    Thanks for responding so quickly. Need a new one to take advantage
    of new features, or "must have" to work at all? I'll probably
    spring for one anyway, but I've had to upgrade speedlights 3 or
    4 times over the years as feature creep from one body to the next,
    it's getting old.

    Randy Howard Guest

  4. #4

    Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:
    > In article <m2brd546yq.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>, [email]pack-newsrattus.net[/email] says...
    > > Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:
    > >
    > > > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    > > > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    > > > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    > > >
    > > > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    > > > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    > > > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    > >
    > > Lenses are fine, except for dealing with the crap factor,
    >
    > "Crap factor" ??
    *ahem* crop factor :)
    > > you're going to need a new speedlight with the new generation of
    > > nikon digital stuff (d2x,d2h.d70)
    >
    > Thanks for responding so quickly. Need a new one to take advantage
    > of new features, or "must have" to work at all?
    Need a new one to do TTL.
    > I'll probably
    > spring for one anyway, but I've had to upgrade speedlights 3 or
    > 4 times over the years as feature creep from one body to the next,
    > it's getting old.
    I have a couple of older speedlights around which I'm going to play
    with using as background flashes etc. Of course, I don't need TTL for
    that.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  5. #5

    In article <m27jnt46hy.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>, [email]pack-newsrattus.net[/email] says...
    > Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:

    > > > Lenses are fine, except for dealing with the crap factor,
    > >
    > > "Crap factor" ??
    >
    > *ahem* crop factor :)
    That makes much more sense, thanks. :-)

    > > > you're going to need a new speedlight with the new generation of
    > > > nikon digital stuff (d2x,d2h.d70)
    > >
    > > Thanks for responding so quickly. Need a new one to take advantage
    > > of new features, or "must have" to work at all?
    >
    > Need a new one to do TTL.
    Ok, presumably the newer models will work with an F5 just fine though,
    or so I would hope.
    > I have a couple of older speedlights around which I'm going to play
    > with using as background flashes etc. Of course, I don't need TTL for
    > that.
    Good idea.

    Randy Howard Guest

  6. #6

    Randy Howard <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> writes:
    > > > Thanks for responding so quickly. Need a new one to take advantage
    > > > of new features, or "must have" to work at all?
    > >
    > > Need a new one to do TTL.
    >
    > Ok, presumably the newer models will work with an F5 just fine though,
    > or so I would hope.
    Yes, the downside to this is the increasing manual size as they
    support more and more body families.

    You can probbal find specs/compatibility for these cameras and flashed
    on the nikon website.
    > > I have a couple of older speedlights around which I'm going to play
    > > with using as background flashes etc. Of course, I don't need TTL for
    > > that.
    >
    > Good idea.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  7. #7

    Randy Howard <randyhowardfooverizonbar.net> wrote:
    > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    Should be fine with The D1/D1x, etc. The SB-28DX is the digital ready
    flash: either you got lucky or bought with foresight. The AF-S and D
    lenses will be fine.
    > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    The lenses move across fine to the D1x. Non-CPU lenses won't work
    with matrix metering: you have to use centre weighted or spot instead.
    That's it, I think.

    You have to make allowances for the fact that the sensor is 23.7mm x
    15.6mm: you may find that 17-35 is no longer the wide angle you loved.

    Andrew.
    andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid Guest

  8. #8

    [email]andrew29littlepinkcloud.inva[/email]lid writes:
    > Randy Howard <randyhowardfooverizonbar.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    > > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    > > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    >
    > Should be fine with The D1/D1x, etc. The SB-28DX is the digital ready
    > flash: either you got lucky or bought with foresight. The AF-S and D
    > lenses will be fine.
    The 28DX isn't happy with the D2X/H or D70.
    > > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    > > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    > > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    >
    > The lenses move across fine to the D1x. Non-CPU lenses won't work
    > with matrix metering: you have to use centre weighted or spot instead.
    > That's it, I think.
    It varies with the camera. Did you read the other posts in this thread?

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  9. #9

    Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net> wrote:
    > [email]andrew29littlepinkcloud.inva[/email]lid writes:
    >> Randy Howard <randyhowardfooverizonbar.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm curious what problems (if any) one might encounter when moving
    >> > from a Nikon F5 and SB28-DX speedlight system with mostly AF-S
    >> > lenses and a few older "D" lenses to a D1, D2, D100, D70, etc.
    >>
    >> Should be fine with The D1/D1x, etc. The SB-28DX is the digital ready
    >> flash: either you got lucky or bought with foresight. The AF-S and D
    >> lenses will be fine.
    > The 28DX isn't happy with the D2X/H or D70.
    Oh, nasty. Is that for certain with regard to the D2x?
    >> > The "small print" seems to indicate there are some variations,
    >> > and I'd kind of like to know how the lenses move across, and
    >> > also if the speedlight will need to be replaced as well.
    >>
    >> The lenses move across fine to the D1x. Non-CPU lenses won't work
    >> with matrix metering: you have to use centre weighted or spot instead.
    >> That's it, I think.
    > It varies with the camera.
    Huh? I'm talking about the D1x.
    > Did you read the other posts in this thread?
    Yes.

  10. #10

    "Randy Howard" <randyhowardFOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c20601a335145bd989d0anews.verizon.net.. .
    > If there is a good website that spells all of this out a
    > link would be great.
    For lenses:
    [url]http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html[/url]

    For flashes: (partial, hard to read unless printed)
    [url]http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/speedlights/compatibility.pdf[/url]

    The D2x follows the same rules as the D2h and D70. For older models,
    if a speedlight has a DX suffix, it will work in dTTL mode with the
    D100 and D1 series. Otherwise, assume it will not work in TTL mode
    with a Nikon dSLR.

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- [email]mhb-offerclearether.com[/email]

    Michael Benveniste Guest

  11. #11

    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> wrote:
    > I have a Nikon 2008s that I bought in 1989 or early 1990. How well
    > would the lenses I bought with it work with a D70? Will the auto focus
    > work? How about the TTL metering and auto exposure adjustment?
    Lenses from that era will work fine with the D70. I've got a couple
    myself. The only thing you likely won't get is the "D" distance stuff
    for 3D matrix metering, which I've never seen to actually matter anyway,
    and for flash metering, where it might actually make some difference.
    But it general the "D" stuff isn't anything to care about.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Nixon Guest

  12. #12

    In article <9q1er0l1lk0d376vic1tlme9tt31tp7lgo4ax.com>, [email]ronronstoons.com[/email]
    (Ron Lacey) wrote:
    > >> "Crap factor" ??
    > >
    > >*ahem* crop factor :)
    >
    > LOL, that had me wondering too<g>.

    That's the description of the brains of the people who think they're
    getting some magic "magnification" of the focal length of the lens.

    Peter
    Peter Hirons Guest

  13. #13

    [email]petersomewhere.ie[/email] (Peter Hirons) writes:

    > > >*ahem* crop factor :)
    > >
    > > LOL, that had me wondering too<g>.
    > >

    > That's the description of the brains of the people who think they're
    > getting some magic "magnification" of the focal length of the lens.
    From the point of view of field of view, that's exactly what you're
    getting, particularly when you get your crop onto a sensor that
    provides similar quality to some films you might have used _full
    frame_

    It all depends on what you mean when you refer to 'focal length'.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  14. #14

    In article <memo.20041216210822.2404Asoftwell.cix.co.uk>,
    Peter Hirons <petersomewhere.ie> wrote:

    >There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    >chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main difference -
    >it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a 200mm on a D100
    >(same apertures of course).
    Are you sure about that?

    If you stand in the same place with your 300mm on your F5 and a 200mm
    on the D100, make an exposure on each one, and print them both up to
    the same size print, you might be surprised. Don't forget that the
    extra enlargement from the cropped image size also affects perceived
    depth of field.

    John Francis Guest

  15. #15

    In article <m27jnnxcyi.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>, [email]pack-newsrattus.net[/email]
    (Bruce Murphy) wrote:

    > From the point of view of field of view, that's exactly what you're
    > getting, particularly when you get your crop onto a sensor that
    > provides similar quality to some films you might have used _full
    > frame_

    It depends on your definition of "quality". Again I think it's marketing
    hype from the likes of Canon claiming MF quality.
    > It all depends on what you mean when you refer to 'focal length'.

    By focal length I mean exactly what I say - you can't change the laws of
    physics.

    There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main difference -
    it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a 200mm on a D100
    (same apertures of course).

    As well as film and digital 35mm kit, I use an MF body with 6x4.5 6x7 and
    6x8 (all centimetres) backs. Changing the back does not alter the focal
    length of the lens and nobody in the MF world would ever be heard saying
    that it does. Swapping a lens from an F5 to a D100 is an equivalent
    action.

    As I've said before on other newsgroups - "magnification" is an invention
    of marketing types who wanted something more positive-sounding than
    "crop". Unfortunately it's been taken up by those who want to convince
    their boss/the bank manager/their wife/their mates/themselves that the
    purchase was a "good thing".

    Peter
    Peter Hirons Guest

  16. #16

    In article <cpsslj$734$1panix5.panix.com>, [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis)
    wrote:

    > >There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    > >chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main
    > difference - >it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a
    > 200mm on a D100 >(same apertures of course).
    >
    > Are you sure about that?
    Absolutely! Search the web for "depth of field calculation" and do some
    reading. I don't have time to explain the maths right now - I need to get
    to bed as I have about 22 hours' travelling tomorrow - that's about 18
    hours' driving and the rest on ferries (Netherlands to Ireland)!

    > If you stand in the same place with your 300mm on your F5 and a 200mm
    > on the D100, make an exposure on each one, and print them both up to
    > the same size print, you might be surprised. Don't forget that the
    > extra enlargement from the cropped image size also affects perceived
    > depth of field.

    I have done it and I would only be surprised if they were the same :-)

    Peter
    Peter Hirons Guest

  17. #17

    [email]petersomewhere.ie[/email] (Peter Hirons) writes:
    > In article <m27jnnxcyi.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>, [email]pack-newsrattus.net[/email]
    > (Bruce Murphy) wrote:
    >

    > > From the point of view of field of view, that's exactly what you're
    > > getting, particularly when you get your crop onto a sensor that
    > > provides similar quality to some films you might have used _full
    > > frame_
    > >

    > It depends on your definition of "quality". Again I think it's marketing
    > hype from the likes of Canon claiming MF quality.
    And I think you'd be an idiot if you didn't admit that consumer
    digital SLRs have passed the quality points of numerous 35mm consumer
    films already. Kodak MAX 400, anyone?

    > > It all depends on what you mean when you refer to 'focal length'.
    > >

    > By focal length I mean exactly what I say - you can't change the laws of
    > physics.
    On the contrary, people go around changing them all the
    time. Regardless, the majority of people are talking abotu 'a focal
    length effect' not the 'focal length'. If this weren't the case then
    they'd be running around talking about how much their focal length
    changed in this or that lens.
    > There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    > chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main difference -
    > it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a 200mm on a D100
    > (same apertures of course).
    Yes, obviously. Do you know what it /will/ be the same with?
    > As well as film and digital 35mm kit, I use an MF body with 6x4.5 6x7 and
    > 6x8 (all centimetres) backs. Changing the back does not alter the focal
    > length of the lens and nobody in the MF world would ever be heard saying
    > that it does. Swapping a lens from an F5 to a D100 is an equivalent
    > action.
    Yes, we know. See above for qualifications on statement.
    > As I've said before on other newsgroups - "magnification" is an invention
    > of marketing types who wanted something more positive-sounding than
    > "crop". Unfortunately it's been taken up by those who want to convince
    > their boss/the bank manager/their wife/their mates/themselves that the
    > purchase was a "good thing".
    And now you extrapolate from 'digital magnification is a misnomer' out
    to 'all digital it bad'. Great.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  18. #18

    In article <memo.20041216230808.2404Fsoftwell.cix.co.uk>,
    Peter Hirons <petersomewhere.ie> wrote:
    >In article <cpsslj$734$1panix5.panix.com>, [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis)
    >wrote:
    >

    >> >There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    >> >chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main
    >> difference - >it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a
    >> 200mm on a D100 >(same apertures of course).
    >>
    >> Are you sure about that?
    >
    >Absolutely! Search the web for "depth of field calculation" and do some
    >reading. I don't have time to explain the maths right now - I need to get
    >to bed as I have about 22 hours' travelling tomorrow - that's about 18
    >hours' driving and the rest on ferries (Netherlands to Ireland)!
    Well, when you do find the time, I suggest that you might try to explain
    it - to yourself, for a start. Don't forget to take the multiplication
    factor during printing into account - that affects the size of the circle
    of confusion. you can't use the same size circle on the two cameras.
    >> If you stand in the same place with your 300mm on your F5 and a 200mm
    >> on the D100, make an exposure on each one, and print them both up to
    >> the same size print, you might be surprised. Don't forget that the
    >> extra enlargement from the cropped image size also affects perceived
    >> depth of field.
    >>
    >I have done it and I would only be surprised if they were the same :-)
    Check your calculations, and be prepared for a surprise.

    John Francis Guest

  19. #19

    [email]johnfpanix.com[/email] (John Francis) writes:

    > Check your calculations, and be prepared for a surprise.
    The interesting part comes about when you consider that the aperture
    size in those calculations is actually an explicit length rather than
    a focal length ratio.

    That's the unexpectedly invariant part that gives a somewhat
    unintuitive result.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  20. #20

    In article <m21xdpix84.fsfgreybat.rattus.net>,
    Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net> wrote:

    >> There is a lot more to the optics of a lens than just an arbitrarily
    >> chosen area to focus it onto. Depth of field being the main difference -
    >> it will not be the same if you put a 300mm on an F5 and a 200mm on a D100
    >> (same apertures of course).
    >
    >Yes, obviously. Do you know what it /will/ be the same with?
    Actually, it *will* be the same, if the final print is the same size.
    And it will be the same if you put that 200mm, or a 50mm, on the F5,
    take a shot *from the same place*, and make a print from the cropped
    portion of the negative.

    The extra enlargement you need to do to fill the same area of the
    print from a smaller portion of the negative decreases depth-of-field
    (i.e. increases the size of the circle of confusion) by exactly the
    same amount as switching to the longer focal-length lens.

    Informally, I'm sure everyone is aware of this effect; an image that
    looks sharp at 200 pixels wide can look soft when viewed at 400 pixels.
    Part of the image that is out of focus on the larger view will appear
    just fine at the smaller magnification. Well, that's about what you
    are doing when you switch to a shorter focal length lens; a full-frame
    image taken at 50mm will appear to gain depth-of-field if reduced to
    about half the size, which roughly corresponds to the central portion
    of an image taken with a 28mm lens.

    John Francis Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast