Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon View vs Picture Project vs Nikon Capture - Photography

Can anyone give me a brief description of the differences between these programs? I think Nikon Capture is the $99 program you can buy. If not, please substitute the correct software name. Thanks a lot. Sheldon net...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon View vs Picture Project vs Nikon Capture

    Can anyone give me a brief description of the differences between these
    programs? I think Nikon Capture is the $99 program you can buy. If not,
    please substitute the correct software name.

    Thanks a lot.

    Sheldon
    net

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon View vs Picture Project vs Nikon Capture

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:24:31 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    See
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=36J6NLwh&p_lva=&p_faqid=468&p_cr eated=1038107226&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PWZh cXMudXBkYXRlZDpEJnBfcm93X2NudD01OSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT 00MiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj00NCZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBf Y2F0X2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

    and

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=36J6NLwh&p_lva=&p_faqid=61&p_cre ated=1029180813&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9NTkmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NDImcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI 9NDQmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_J nBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
    for current versions available.

    If the choice is between the two free versions, PP and NV, it's a no
    brainer for me, NV.
    Capture allows batch processing of NEF, more controls to process, the
    ability to upload custom curves to the D70 and remote control of the
    camera.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  3. #3

    Sheldon wrote:

    You can download a 30 day trial for Capture. It has a lot more control
    for RAW import adjustments including tweaking a curve. Nikon view is
    really very basic and limited. The Capture remote control is handy if
    you are into tinkering connected to a computer on tripod to learn the
    camera settings.

    The photoshop plugin is very very cool for RAW conversion but as
    mentioned, I think you need the latest $$ photoshop. That includes
    chromatic abberation purple fringing removal, I don't know any other
    simple way to deal with that and it's super easy this way.
    paul Guest

  4. #4

    For the same price you can get PS Elements 3 with support for raw images and
    a full image processing program.

    bmoag Guest

  5. #5

    "bmoag" <net> wrote in message
    Does that mean PS Elements will open and process NEF files?

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    In article <net>, paul <net>
    wrote:

    All you need for RAW is the inexpensive Photoshop Elements 3.

    Merritt
    Merritt Guest

  7. #7

    Merritt Mullen <com> wrote:

    (RAW as in NEF, right?) What's the going price?

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  8. #8

    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    Yes, it uses the same converter as the full Photoshop.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  9. #9

    In article <xUT$pvAMsO$co.uk>,
    Ken Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    > (RAW as in NEF, right?) What's the going price?[/ref]

    Yes, RAW as in NEF. PS Elements 3 is $90 for the Mac, and $100 for
    Windows. I don't know why there is a difference in price. I have used
    PSE 2 (on a Mac) for quite some time, and PSE 3 is a big improvement.

    Merritt
    Merritt Guest

  10. #10

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    >Yes, it uses the same converter as the full Photoshop.[/ref]

    No it doesn't.

    Or, at least, it doesn't give you as much control over the process
    as the interface in full Photoshop does. The interface in Elements
    is much closer to the interface in previous versions of Photoshop;
    the new interface in Photoshop CS has far more adjustments available.

    John Guest

  11. #11

    John Francis <com> wrote:

    > No it doesn't.[/ref]

    Bah, sorry. I'd have sworn I read that it did.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  12. #12

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    >> No it doesn't.[/ref]
    >
    >Bah, sorry. I'd have sworn I read that it did.[/ref]

    Well, as I said, it sort of does. The latest Adobe Camera Raw
    update (version 2.4) is for both Photoshop CS and Elements 3.0
    But if you use it through Elements you don't get access to all
    the controls you get in Photoshop CS; effectively you only get
    to use a lot of the settings at their default values.
    That's generally the idea behind Elements. It uses many of the
    same algorithms, etc., as Photoshop CS, but with a simplified
    interface (sacrificing some control in favour of ease-of-use).

    It's still a good replacement for most of the proprietary RAW
    file converters - I bought Elements just so I could get access
    to Adobe Camera Raw (I have a Pentax *ist-D, and the supplied
    RAW converter leaves a lot to be desired). But I've also seen
    how much additional control there is at RAW conversion time in
    full Photoshop CS (upsizing and applying your own tone curves,
    amongst other things).

    John Guest

  13. #13

    What about Photoshop LE?

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message

    >>Bah, sorry. I'd have sworn I read that it did.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, as I said, it sort of does. The latest Adobe Camera Raw
    > update (version 2.4) is for both Photoshop CS and Elements 3.0
    > But if you use it through Elements you don't get access to all
    > the controls you get in Photoshop CS; effectively you only get
    > to use a lot of the settings at their default values.
    > That's generally the idea behind Elements. It uses many of the
    > same algorithms, etc., as Photoshop CS, but with a simplified
    > interface (sacrificing some control in favour of ease-of-use).
    >
    > It's still a good replacement for most of the proprietary RAW
    > file converters - I bought Elements just so I could get access
    > to Adobe Camera Raw (I have a Pentax *ist-D, and the supplied
    > RAW converter leaves a lot to be desired). But I've also seen
    > how much additional control there is at RAW conversion time in
    > full Photoshop CS (upsizing and applying your own tone curves,
    > amongst other things).
    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  14. #14

    Didn't Elements replace Photoshop LE in the product lineup?

    In article <com>,
    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    >> Well, as I said, it sort of does. The latest Adobe Camera Raw
    >> update (version 2.4) is for both Photoshop CS and Elements 3.0
    >> But if you use it through Elements you don't get access to all
    >> the controls you get in Photoshop CS; effectively you only get
    >> to use a lot of the settings at their default values.
    >> That's generally the idea behind Elements. It uses many of the
    >> same algorithms, etc., as Photoshop CS, but with a simplified
    >> interface (sacrificing some control in favour of ease-of-use).
    >>
    >> It's still a good replacement for most of the proprietary RAW
    >> file converters - I bought Elements just so I could get access
    >> to Adobe Camera Raw (I have a Pentax *ist-D, and the supplied
    >> RAW converter leaves a lot to be desired). But I've also seen
    >> how much additional control there is at RAW conversion time in
    >> full Photoshop CS (upsizing and applying your own tone curves,
    >> amongst other things).
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    John Guest

  15. #15

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message

    Yes it did, but I found that Photoshop LE looks and feels exactly like
    Photoshop. Just missing some high-end features. If you can use one you can
    use the other.

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  16. #16

    My point is that there isn't a "Photoshop LE" that corresponds
    to Photoshop CS (execept inasmuch as Elements 3.0 fills that role).
    And in some places (including the interface to the Raw converter)
    Photoshop CS presents a very different interface to the one found
    in those earlier versions.

    The Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop CS/Elements 3.0 doesn't work
    in those earlier versions of Photoshop, either. You can use most
    plugins built for Photoshop 7 in Photoshop CS, but not vice versa.

    In article <com>,
    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    >Yes it did, but I found that Photoshop LE looks and feels exactly like
    >Photoshop. Just missing some high-end features. If you can use one you can
    >use the other.
    >

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    John Guest