Professional Web Applications Themes

Nikon - why bother with a FF sensor? - Photography

I find it interesting that Nikon is pouring R&D in their DX technology, rather than developing a full-frame sensor. To my mind, it makes no sense to produce a whole new range of lenses, when it "should" have been easier to just develop a FF sensor. Could it be that Nikon is ditching the idea of a full-frame sensor altogether, or are they just milking the current market for all they can? Do they regard it as un-necessary, and will Canon, et al, follow suit? And if they do decide to release a FF sensor, what is one to do ...

  1. #1

    Default Nikon - why bother with a FF sensor?

    I find it interesting that Nikon is pouring R&D in their DX technology,
    rather than developing a full-frame sensor. To my mind, it makes no sense to
    produce a whole new range of lenses, when it "should" have been easier to
    just develop a FF sensor.

    Could it be that Nikon is ditching the idea of a full-frame sensor
    altogether, or are they just milking the current market for all they can?

    Do they regard it as un-necessary, and will Canon, et al, follow suit?

    And if they do decide to release a FF sensor, what is one to do with all
    their shiny new DX lenses?

    Technology continues to allow the squeezing of more and more MP's into a
    given sensor, so the actual size of the sensor would seem to be irrelevant.

    The writing is on the wall.

    Discuss.

    Xor

    Xoreth 8-} Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon - why bother with a FF sensor?

    Xoreth 8-} wrote:
    > I find it interesting that Nikon is pouring R&D in their DX technology,
    > rather than developing a full-frame sensor. To my mind, it makes no sense to
    > produce a whole new range of lenses, when it "should" have been easier to
    > just develop a FF sensor.
    >
    > Could it be that Nikon is ditching the idea of a full-frame sensor
    > altogether, or are they just milking the current market for all they can?
    >
    > Do they regard it as un-necessary, and will Canon, et al, follow suit?
    >
    > And if they do decide to release a FF sensor, what is one to do with all
    > their shiny new DX lenses?
    >
    > Technology continues to allow the squeezing of more and more MP's into a
    > given sensor, so the actual size of the sensor would seem to be irrelevant.
    >
    > The writing is on the wall.
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > Xor

    I would have thought that they may have developed a sensor with a higher
    density yet keeping the size. Look at the Coolpix 5000 that sensor is
    half the size of the D100 5Mp v's 6Mp so - its possible to fit more
    onto the D100 sized sensor. There are other factors which come into play
    with full frame sensors - transfer rates, file size, etc.

    The Nikon D1 D1H D1X all interpolate the image up like the Fuji's

    Why hasn't the Kodak come to full life world beater.
    Canons FF - is that a success?

    Looks as if there are approaching the limitations on what will work and
    improvements to such maybe the answer!!!!

    rm

    ops Guest

  3. #3

    "Gavin Cato" <woofnospam.com> wrote in message

    > "ops" <martinwollongong.apana.org.au> wrote in message
    >
    > > The Nikon D1 D1H D1X all interpolate the image up like the Fuji's
    >
    > No - only the D1x interpolates (and in one direction). The D1/D1h do not
    > interpolate (bayer sensor stuff aside)
    >
    > Gav
    All digital cameras interpolate except mono sensors. Just accept the fact
    that it is a fuzzy data set.

    Miro Guest

  4. #4

    Which is what I said by "bayer sensor stuff aside"

    " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3f1f080f$0$1211$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au ...

    > "Gavin Cato" <woofnospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "ops" <martinwollongong.apana.org.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > The Nikon D1 D1H D1X all interpolate the image up like the Fuji's
    > >
    > > No - only the D1x interpolates (and in one direction). The D1/D1h do not
    > > interpolate (bayer sensor stuff aside)
    > >
    > > Gav
    >
    > All digital cameras interpolate except mono sensors. Just accept the fact
    > that it is a fuzzy data set.

    Gavin Cato Guest

  5. #5

    > > Technology continues to allow the squeezing of more and more MP's into a
    > > given sensor, so the actual size of the sensor would seem to be
    > irrelevant.
    >
    > I suspect Nikon will be sticking with the 1.5x sensor, the 3 DX lenses I
    > think is a solid sign of this.

    More to the point I think they are too arrogant to support the 4/3 format.

    Miro Guest