Professional Web Applications Themes

NIS enabled, scoadmin -> account manager: results in error - SCO

I have a test system that I enabled NIS on and found that the account manager can't change user accounts. The failure message is: > Unable to modify user account: smftest1 > Unable to retrieve information needed to modify user account > General failure occurred in processing the request. > The user kkessler does not exist in /etc/passwd Background: SCO OS 5.0.5 Ent was installed on the machine. I imported a client's user accounts from a 3.2v4.2 system via ap (user accounts were imported as well as the client's Informix database to test the application prior to upgrading the client ...

  1. #1

    Default NIS enabled, scoadmin -> account manager: results in error

    I have a test system that I enabled NIS on and found that
    the account manager can't change user accounts. The
    failure message is:
    > Unable to modify user account: smftest1
    > Unable to retrieve information needed to modify user account
    > General failure occurred in processing the request.
    > The user kkessler does not exist in /etc/passwd
    Background: SCO OS 5.0.5 Ent was installed on the machine. I imported
    a client's user accounts from a 3.2v4.2 system via ap (user accounts
    were imported as well as the client's Informix database to test the
    application prior to upgrading the client with new hardware and OS
    upgrade). The client's software ran ok on the 5.0.5 system with
    rs505a installed. I performed an "in-place" upgrade to 5.0.6 to
    test the app running under 5.0.6. (it runs ok.)

    I was working on another client's 3.2v4.2 system trying to configure
    NIS to work with Microsoft Services for UNIX (SFU) and it was not
    working. So I shut down the 5.0.6 test system and issued "mkdev nis -m"
    to set it up as a NIS master server. All the users in /etc/passwd
    were considered local users.

    When I try to run scoadmin -> account manager and change the
    field "Networked Via" by choosing "change distribution" and
    un-checking "local only" the above message is displayed.

    I searched the SCO technical articles for NIS and NIS problems, but
    found nothing about scoadmin -> account manager failing after enabling
    NIS.

    PS rs506a was installed after mkdev nis and did not change the results.

    Anyone out there using NIS on 5.0.6? Any suggestions would be
    appreciated.

    TIA
    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Steve Fabac wrote:

    > I have a test system that I enabled NIS on and found that
    > the account manager can't change user accounts. The
    > failure message is:
    >
    > > Unable to modify user account: smftest1
    > > Unable to retrieve information needed to modify user account
    > > General failure occurred in processing the request.
    > > The user smftest1 does not exist in /etc/passwd
    >
    > Background: SCO OS 5.0.5 Ent was installed on the machine. I imported
    > a client's user accounts from a 3.2v4.2 system via ap (user accounts
    > were imported as well as the client's Informix database to test the
    > application prior to upgrading the client with new hardware and OS
    > upgrade). The client's software ran ok on the 5.0.5 system with
    > rs505a installed. I performed an "in-place" upgrade to 5.0.6 to
    > test the app running under 5.0.6. (it runs ok.)
    Update:
    AFter performing a fresh install of 5.0.6 on the root division, I
    installed rs506a and visionfs 3.1, then ran ap -r -f ap.live -v to
    add the users accounts.

    I went to single user mode and ran mkdev nis and answered "m" to
    server type.

    Upon returning to run level 2, attempting to run scoadmin -> account
    manager -> modify user, I tried to select "distributed by" and
    unchecked the "local only" button. When I finished the modification,
    I got the same message above.

    Reading the doentation on NIS has not provided a clue to the problem.
    Searching the SCO TA's likewise.

    Does anyone use NIS on SCO Openserver ?

    --

    Steve Fabac