Professional Web Applications Themes

No CDROM (that I can see) from within MacOS X - Mac Applications & Software

Installing MacOS X for the first time (for me and the Blue and White G3), the installation did not recognize the second CDROM, but assured me I could take care of the extra installation items later. Now that it is running, the Finder does not show me the (built-in) CDROM drive in the list of magnetic disks volumes (entire disks or partitions). Is it supposed to show the CDROM ? Can anyone suggest how I can install that extra software (X11 in particular)....

  1. #1

    Default No CDROM (that I can see) from within MacOS X

    Installing MacOS X for the first time (for me and the Blue and White G3),
    the installation did not recognize the second CDROM, but assured me I could
    take care of the extra installation items later.

    Now that it is running, the Finder does not show me the (built-in) CDROM drive
    in the list of magnetic disks volumes (entire disks or partitions). Is it supposed
    to show the CDROM ?

    Can anyone suggest how I can install that extra software (X11 in particular).
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No CDROM (that I can see) from within MacOS X

    In article <UIl69FcRj5Kneisner.encompasserve.org>,
    [email]KilgallenSpamCop.net[/email] (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    > Installing MacOS X for the first time (for me and the Blue and White G3),
    > the installation did not recognize the second CDROM, but assured me I could
    > take care of the extra installation items later.
    >
    > Now that it is running, the Finder does not show me the (built-in) CDROM
    > drive
    > in the list of magnetic disks volumes (entire disks or partitions). Is it
    > supposed
    > to show the CDROM ?
    With or without a CD in the drive? I only see the CD-ROM drive if it
    has a CD in it.

    Or do you mean the /dev/disk* name for the CD-ROM. If I insert a CD in
    the drive, and then I do a 'df' to see on which device the CD was
    mounted. The CD-ROM drive on my Wife's G3/800 iBook was /dev/disk1. Is
    that what you mean?
    > Can anyone suggest how I can install that extra software (X11 in particular).
    If you mean special drivers for your 3rd party CD-ROM drive, I would
    assume that if Mac OS X does not reconize it as soon as you pop a CD
    into the drive, then maybe you will need to get drivers from the
    manufacture. I have not played with external CD-ROM drives, so I do not
    have any experience with what kinds of issues might be involved.

    X11 is easy. Download it from Apple <http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/>.
    Install it. It will be stored in the applications folder.

    Get Fink and Fink Commander <versiontracker.com/macosx>. Use Fink
    Commander to download lots of OpenSource and other utilities (both
    command line and X11 based). But then again, I'm not sure if you are
    comfortable with UNIX or if you are really just OpenVMS oriented :-)

    Obviously if you need updates from specific vendors, then surf their web
    sites.

    Also try <versiontracker.com/macosx> for Mac OS X software.

    Search <macosxhints.com> for lots of hints on addressing issues or using
    UNIX features as a power user, or to just solve that tricky
    configuration problem that is outside the norm.

    If you want the developer tools, some releases of Mac OS X included the
    tools on CD. The latest versions can be downloaded from the Mac OS
    Developers web site (free sign up required <developer.apple.com/>).

    Side note. We have a B&W G3/400 at home and for firewire we needed to
    install a PCI card to get it to work. The built in Firewire ports
    didn't work well. at least the PCI card was cheap <dealmac.com>.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris

    PS. Do you have access inside the HP firewall? If so, then drop by the
    Macintosh notes conference.
    Bob Harris Guest

  3. #3

    In article <harris-70AB60.22070723072003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>, Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> writes:
    > In article <UIl69FcRj5Kneisner.encompasserve.org>,
    > [email]KilgallenSpamCop.net[/email] (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    >
    >> Installing MacOS X for the first time (for me and the Blue and White G3),
    >> the installation did not recognize the second CDROM, but assured me I could
    >> take care of the extra installation items later.
    >>
    >> Now that it is running, the Finder does not show me the (built-in) CDROM
    >> drive
    >> in the list of magnetic disks volumes (entire disks or partitions). Is it
    >> supposed
    >> to show the CDROM ?
    >
    > With or without a CD in the drive? I only see the CD-ROM drive if it
    > has a CD in it.
    Thanks for that description. I have since seen a CDROM some of the time
    (I even went to the trouble to plug in an external drive), and "sometimes"
    is as good as MacOS X seems to do for me, based on one day's experience.
    > Or do you mean the /dev/disk* name for the CD-ROM.
    Gracious no, that is way beyond me.
    >> Can anyone suggest how I can install that extra software (X11 in particular).
    >
    > If you mean special drivers for your 3rd party CD-ROM drive, I would
    No, the internal and the external CDROM drives are both from Apple.
    I think perhaps it is having trouble recognizing the CDROM when it
    is already in the drive on boot.
    > X11 is easy. Download it from Apple <http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/>.
    Policy here is not to run downloaded software, ever. On any operating
    system.
    > If you want the developer tools, some releases of Mac OS X included the
    > tools on CD. The latest versions can be downloaded from the Mac OS
    > Developers web site (free sign up required <developer.apple.com/>).
    We pay for a CDROM subscription from ADPA (or whatever they are called now).
    > Side note. We have a B&W G3/400 at home and for firewire we needed to
    > install a PCI card to get it to work. The built in Firewire ports
    > didn't work well. at least the PCI card was cheap <dealmac.com>.
    That seems to be the way the ADB port is going with MacOS X for me.
    Sometimes the mouse gets stuck in the upper left corner on boot and
    it takes a power cycle to get it back. This does not happen with
    MacOS 9.* on the same hardware.

    Thanks, Bob.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest