Professional Web Applications Themes

No DNS using airport card - Mac Networking

I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots. Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for where to look?...

  1. #1

    Default No DNS using airport card

    I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots.
    Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I
    no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an
    entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which
    process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for
    where to look?
    lukeg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No DNS using airport card

    In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:

    :> I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots.
    :> Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I
    :> no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an
    :> entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which
    :> process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for
    :> where to look?

    The resolv.conf file isn't supposed to be updated by anything in
    practical use. A DHCP server is supposed to be able to assign you an IP
    address, set your default gateway/router address, and provide DNS
    entries for you. The resolv.conf file is supposed to determine whether
    to use both DNS and a local "hosts" file, and in which order.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  3. #3

    "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message news:<stevewjackson-929DD3.16392901102003corp.supernews.com>...
    > In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    > [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:
    >
    > :> I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots.
    > :> Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I
    > :> no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an
    > :> entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which
    > :> process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for
    > :> where to look?
    >
    > The resolv.conf file isn't supposed to be updated by anything in
    > practical use. A DHCP server is supposed to be able to assign you an IP
    > address, set your default gateway/router address, and provide DNS
    > entries for you. The resolv.conf file is supposed to determine whether
    > to use both DNS and a local "hosts" file, and in which order.
    >
    > = Steve =
    Hmm. That is counter to the other UNIX variants I know, but I'm
    getting a rapid education in Apple idiosyncrasies. If your assertion
    is correct, then I am confused as to why adding:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

    temporarily resolved (heh) my DNS problem. Supposing you are correct,
    then what file(s) is DHCP supposed to update for DNS to work?
    lukeg Guest

  4. #4

    On 1 Oct 2003 18:49:28 -0700,
    lukeg (google512salsa.tv) wrote:
    > "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message news:<stevewjackson-929DD3.16392901102003corp.supernews.com>...
    >> In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    >> [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:
    >>
    >> :> I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots.
    >> :> Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I
    >> :> no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an
    >> :> entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which
    >> :> process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for
    >> :> where to look?
    >>
    >> The resolv.conf file isn't supposed to be updated by anything in
    >> practical use. A DHCP server is supposed to be able to assign you an IP
    >> address, set your default gateway/router address, and provide DNS
    >> entries for you. The resolv.conf file is supposed to determine whether
    >> to use both DNS and a local "hosts" file, and in which order.
    Under other Unixes that I have used (Linux, Solaris), resolv.conf contains
    the domain names to search, and the IP address(es) of the nameserver(s).

    Under Linux, host.conf will contain information as to whether to use DNS,
    a local hosts file, and in which order, not resolv.conf.

    On both my OS X computers, /etc/resolv.conf contains the domain name, and
    IP addresses of nameservers. One of them (my laptop) gets its configuration
    from a WAP. Each time it gets configured via DHCP, a new file gets written
    to /var/run/resolv.conf which is soft-linked to /etc/resolv.conf. The
    file contains:
    domain dsl.sbcglobal.net
    nameserver 206.141.251.2
    nameserver 206.141.193.168

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  5. #5

    In article <5481e093.0310011749.5c30bcfcposting.google.com >,
    [email]google512salsa.tv[/email] (lukeg) wrote:

    :> "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message
    :> news:<stevewjackson-929DD3.16392901102003corp.supernews.com>...
    :> > In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    :> > [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:
    :> >
[...]
    :>
    :> Hmm. That is counter to the other UNIX variants I know, but I'm
    :> getting a rapid education in Apple idiosyncrasies. If your assertion
    :> is correct, then I am confused as to why adding:
    :> nameserver 192.168.1.1
    :>
    :> temporarily resolved (heh) my DNS problem. Supposing you are correct,
    :> then what file(s) is DHCP supposed to update for DNS to work?

    I probably wasn't all that clear. If you set DNS entries in your
    Network preference pane, it *does* cause entries in your resolv.conf
    file. But if you're set to get your DNS numbers from a DHCP server,
    then there should NOT be any entries made in your resolv.conf file when
    you get an IP assigned. To the best of my recollection, this is
    consistent with all Unix flavors I've used.

    I too have had odd DNS behaviors. Sometimes, I can leave those values
    empty in my Network prefs, and all is well. Then, for no apparent
    reason, I get frequent DNS failures, so I respond by putting the DNS
    values I see in my router into my own machine's settings and it's
    solved. So there may indeed be something wrong with Apple's way of
    doing things.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  6. #6

    In article <slrnbnn27r.dol.bevakupfmyhome.net>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfmyhome.net> wrote:

    :> On 1 Oct 2003 18:49:28 -0700,
    :> lukeg (google512salsa.tv) wrote:
    :> > "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message
    :> > news:<stevewjackson-929DD3.16392901102003corp.supernews.com>...
    :> >> In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    :> >> [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:
    :> >>
[...]

    I haven't used Solaris in quite some time, so I don't recall details on
    it. And I've only very recently touched any Linux at all. On AIX, AT&T
    System V, and SCO Unixware, however, I'm reasonably sure that I recall
    the /etc/resolv.conf file containing what you describe here (that is,
    the search domains, if specified, and name servers) PLUS an (optional)
    entry saying whether to use both a host file and BIND (name server), and
    in which order to consult them.

    I just checked my /var/run/resolv.conf file and the sym link. It was
    updated overnight, likely as of when my DHCP lease expired on my router.
    Seems consistent with your belief that it's updated by DHCP assignment.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  7. #7

    "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message news:<stevewjackson-4F025C.08553102102003corp.supernews.com>...
    > In article <slrnbnn27r.dol.bevakupfmyhome.net>,
    > "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfmyhome.net> wrote:
    >
    > :> On 1 Oct 2003 18:49:28 -0700,
    > :> lukeg (google512salsa.tv) wrote:
    > :> > "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote in message
    > :> > news:<stevewjackson-929DD3.16392901102003corp.supernews.com>...
    > :> >> In article <48b1003.0310011308.1e7e4233posting.google.com> ,
    > :> >> [email]pseudonym422[/email] (lukeg) wrote:
    > :> >>
    > :> >> :> I use my iBook with internal airport card in various free wifi spots.
    > :> >> :> Recently, although DHCP continues to work and assign an IP address, I
    > :> >> :> no longer have DNS. I can probe the local net and manually add an
    > :> >> :> entry to /etc/resolv.conf, but this is tedious. I don't know which
    > :> >> :> process is supposed to update resolv.conf, if any. Suggestion for
    > :> >> :> where to look?
    > :> >>
    > :> >> The resolv.conf file isn't supposed to be updated by anything in
    > :> >> practical use. A DHCP server is supposed to be able to assign you an IP
    > :> >> address, set your default gateway/router address, and provide DNS
    > :> >> entries for you. The resolv.conf file is supposed to determine whether
    > :> >> to use both DNS and a local "hosts" file, and in which order.
    > :>
    > :> Under other Unixes that I have used (Linux, Solaris), resolv.conf contains
    > :> the domain names to search, and the IP address(es) of the nameserver(s).
    > :>
    > :> Under Linux, host.conf will contain information as to whether to use DNS,
    > :> a local hosts file, and in which order, not resolv.conf.
    > :>
    > :> On both my OS X computers, /etc/resolv.conf contains the domain name, and
    > :> IP addresses of nameservers. One of them (my laptop) gets its configuration
    > :> from a WAP. Each time it gets configured via DHCP, a new file gets written
    > :> to /var/run/resolv.conf which is soft-linked to /etc/resolv.conf. The
    > :> file contains:
    > :> domain dsl.sbcglobal.net
    > :> nameserver 206.141.251.2
    > :> nameserver 206.141.193.168
    > :>
    > :> Beverly
    >

    > I haven't used Solaris in quite some time, so I don't recall details on
    > it. And I've only very recently touched any Linux at all. On AIX, AT&T
    > System V, and SCO Unixware, however, I'm reasonably sure that I recall
    > the /etc/resolv.conf file containing what you describe here (that is,
    > the search domains, if specified, and name servers) PLUS an (optional)
    > entry saying whether to use both a host file and BIND (name server), and
    > in which order to consult them.
    >
    > I just checked my /var/run/resolv.conf file and the sym link. It was
    > updated overnight, likely as of when my DHCP lease expired on my router.
    > Seems consistent with your belief that it's updated by DHCP assignment.
    >
    > = Steve =
    I went into /var/run and there was no resolv.conf, so I touched it,
    then did a sym link to /etc, reconnected to the network, and...
    I got DNS.

    Steve, thanks for your help. This has been bugging me for weeks. I'm
    heading to the coffee shop to give it a more thorough test.
    lukeg Guest

  8. #8

    > Steve, thanks for your help. This has been bugging me for weeks. I'm
    > heading to the coffee shop to give it a more thorough test.
    Oops. Thanks also to Beverly for mentioning /var/run/resolv.conf.
    lukeg Guest