Professional Web Applications Themes

No DVD Burner - Windows Vista

I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I don't have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but mine just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive....

  1. #1

    Default No DVD Burner

    I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it
    becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I don't
    have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but mine
    just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive.

    Travis King Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No DVD Burner

    Download it to your HD. Set up a Folder for the download.

    --
    Peter

    "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message news:OO0TH$YQGHA.720TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it
    > becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I don't
    > have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but mine
    > just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive.

    Peter Foldes Guest

  3. #3

    Burn a DVD on your Mom's computer (using IsoBuster, Nero or Roxio). You can
    then load the system using your DVD player.

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it
    >becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I
    >don't have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but
    >mine just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive.

    Richard Urban Guest

  4. #4

    Borrow Moms computer for a day or two. :)
    Andre
    Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]

    "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it
    >becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I
    >don't have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but
    >mine just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Guest

  5. #5

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Borrow Moms computer for a day or two. :)
    > --
    > --
    > Andre
    > Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    > Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    > Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    > [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >
    > "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >>I am planning on downloading the Vista beta next month when (and if) it
    >>becomes public. We have high-speed Internet, but I was wondering if I
    >>don't have a DVD burner, what should I do? Mother's computer has one, but
    >>mine just has a DVD drive and a regular CD-RW drive.

    I don't need to borrow her computer exactly unless you mean just use it -
    all I have to do is go upstairs. (I'm still in high school.) Her computer
    has an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (It used to be in my computer before I got the
    2400+ - she originally had an Athlon 1GHz which was fast at the time but
    only shortly after that, the Athlon XP came out.) 512MB of RAM, 120GB HD
    space, and an Ati Radeon 7200 32MB card. Will any DVD work for the proper
    media? I don't know much about burning DVDs since I have a regular CD-RW
    drive. I'm used to CD-R or CD-RW Music or Data and that's it. I'm not used
    to DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD RAM, and so on. Our Internet anymore
    averages out around 500 to 600 k / sec when downloading. I remember the old
    days when we got around 230 k / sec.

    Travis King Guest

  6. #6

    My burner uses DVD + R, if you have a burner that burns multiple formats,
    still go with DVD + R, I have read some issues concerning bad burns with
    DVD - R

  7. #7

    > My burner uses DVD + R, if you have a burner that burns multiple formats,
    > still go with DVD + R, I have read some issues concerning bad burns with
    > DVD - R
    > --
    > --
    > Andre
    > Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    > Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    > Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    > [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >
    > "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Borrow Moms computer for a day or two. :)
    >>> --
    >>> --
    >>> Andre
    >>> Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    >>> Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    >>> Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    >>> [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >>>
    >>> "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >> I don't need to borrow her computer exactly unless you mean just use it -
    >> all I have to do is go upstairs. (I'm still in high school.) Her
    >> computer has an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (It used to be in my computer before
    >> I got the 2400+ - she originally had an Athlon 1GHz which was fast at the
    >> time but only shortly after that, the Athlon XP came out.) 512MB of RAM,
    >> 120GB HD space, and an Ati Radeon 7200 32MB card. Will any DVD work for
    >> the proper media? I don't know much about burning DVDs since I have a
    >> regular CD-RW drive. I'm used to CD-R or CD-RW Music or Data and that's
    >> it. I'm not used to DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD RAM, and so on.
    >> Our Internet anymore averages out around 500 to 600 k / sec when
    >> downloading. I remember the old days when we got around 230 k / sec.

    Thanks Andre. You're doing this newsgroup a lot of good. Keep up the good
    work. We have DVD + Rs already for the burner, so we should be in good
    shape.

    Travis King Guest

  8. #8

    Well you are on the right path then, report back how everthing turns out,
    I'm very interested in hearing your results. Thanks for your support, I just
    enjoy sharing what I have learnt so far from using Vista and I know many
    others such as Zack, Josh, Peter and many more feel the same way I do. :)

  9. #9

    > Well you are on the right path then, report back how everthing turns out,
    > I'm very interested in hearing your results. Thanks for your support, I
    > just enjoy sharing what I have learnt so far from using Vista and I know
    > many others such as Zack, Josh, Peter and many more feel the same way I
    > do. :)
    > --
    > --
    > Andre
    > Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    > Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    > Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    > [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >
    > "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My burner uses DVD + R, if you have a burner that burns multiple
    >>> formats, still go with DVD + R, I have read some issues concerning bad
    >>> burns with DVD - R
    >>> --
    >>> --
    >>> Andre
    >>> Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    >>> Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    >>> Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    >>> [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >>>
    >>> "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message

    >> Thanks Andre. You're doing this newsgroup a lot of good. Keep up the
    >> good work. We have DVD + Rs already for the burner, so we should be in
    >> good shape.

    It should work at least decent on my computer now:
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.14GHz
    WD 80GB 7200RPM 2MB Cache HD
    WD 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HD
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 128MB DDR Video Card
    768MB of RAM
    Creative Audigy 5.1 Sound Card (I hope this will cooperate in Vista)
    Linksys 10/100 network card
    400w PSU
    5 case fans
    3 1/2" floppy drive
    Lite On 16x DVD drive
    Memorex (Lite On) 52x32x52 CD RW drive
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    Proview 19" CRT monitor currently 1360x1088
    Logitech Elite Keyboard
    Logitech MX510 Mouse
    Canon i560 Printer
    Canon PowerShot A520 digital camera
    Rio S35S MP3 Player
    Logitech Wingman controller
    Visioneer 5800 scanner (Knowing Visioneer, it won't and never will work in
    Vista.)

    Keep in mind that back then for the entire system and to build my computer
    including buying Windows XP, it cost me around $2000 total.

    I plan on adding a gig of RAM in June to give me 1.75GB. (Do you think that
    I should get more than this?) I'm considering getting a better video card
    before the public Vista beta comes out but if I don't get it then, I'll get
    one at the same time as I get the gig of RAM.

    Travis King Guest

  10. #10

    I plan on adding a gig of RAM in June to give me 1.75GB. (Do you think that
    I should get more than this?)
    > Seems like an optimum amount, if you can afford more why not go for it.
    I'm considering getting a better video card before the public Vista beta
    comes out but if I don't get it then, I'll get
    one at the same time as I get the gig of RAM.
    > Well, you have a fair amount of RAM already that good enough for Vista, so
    > the money you would have spent on extra memory, invest in a good video
    > card. But things to remember when purchasing a graphics card for Vista,
    > make sure it has a supported WDDM driver (Windows Display Driver Model),
    > and I personally recommend a minimum of 256MBs, the more the better.
    I am running Vista with a 128MB AGP and I have a lot of windows open and its
    starting to give low video memory errors. So if you want Glass, you gotta
    pay the price and I'm sure you will want Glass. :)

  11. #11

> [...]
    >> Memorex (Lite On) 52x32x52 CD RW drive
    >> Logitech Z-680 speakers
    >> Proview 19" CRT monitor currently 1360x1088
    >> Logitech Elite Keyboard
    >> Logitech MX510 Mouse
    >> Canon i560 Printer
    >> Canon PowerShot A520 digital camera
    >> Rio S35S MP3 Player
    >> Logitech Wingman controller
    >> Visioneer 5800 scanner (Knowing Visioneer, it won't and never will work
    >> in Vista.)
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that back then for the entire system and to build my
    >> computer including buying Windows XP, it cost me around $2000 total.
    >>
    >> I plan on adding a gig of RAM in June to give me 1.75GB. (Do you think
    >> that I should get more than this?) I'm considering getting a better
    >> video card before the public Vista beta comes out but if I don't get it
    >> then, I'll get one at the same time as I get the gig of RAM.

    I was already planning on getting a 256MB Video Card. I was thinking about
    getting an FX5500. I don't do lots of gaming besides Quake III which runs
    well on my NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 at maximum settings at a 1600x1200 screen
    resolution. (The maximum my monitor will support.) Then, I was looking at
    the NVIDIA 6200's, but most of them on newegg don't have fans on them unless
    you go up to the $100 level. Also, what's better - 64-bit memory or 128-bit
    memory? I'd gather 128 is. Most of the cheaper 6200's I saw were 64-bit
    memory while the FX5500 was 128. I remember that my GeForce3 when I bought
    it was around $130 and was only one of the few video cards with 128MB of
    memory. I don't intend on using a 1600x1200 screen resolution (very often
    anyway) at the OS level, but I might in Quake III.

    Travis King Guest

  12. #12

    "Also, what's better - 64-bit memory or 128-bit
    memory? I'd gather 128 is."

    Definitely 128, the larger memory bit-bandwidth will help in Vista.

    However, in my opinion, hold off your GPU purchase until Vista ships. By
    then GeForce 10900 (X900) will be released and 5500 will be dropped in
    price. Actually for that resolution you should go for 6600 or 6800, 7800
    if you can when the prices fall again by then. The 5500 looks a little
    shaky at Aero Glass.

    Back to your original question... use WinZip, and split them to 650/700
    MB pieces...

    Regards

    --
    Nicholas...

    "Overclock Your Life, Then The World"
    > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I plan on adding a gig of RAM in June to give me 1.75GB. (Do you
    >> think that
    >> I should get more than this?)
    >>
    >>> Seems like an optimum amount, if you can afford more why not go for
    >>> it.
    >>
    >> I'm considering getting a better video card before the public Vista
    >> beta comes out but if I don't get it then, I'll get
    >> one at the same time as I get the gig of RAM.
    >>
    >>> Well, you have a fair amount of RAM already that good enough for
    >>> Vista, so the money you would have spent on extra memory, invest in
    >>> a good video card. But things to remember when purchasing a graphics
    >>> card for Vista, make sure it has a supported WDDM driver (Windows
    >>> Display Driver Model), and I personally recommend a minimum of
    >>> 256MBs, the more the better.
    >>
    >> I am running Vista with a 128MB AGP and I have a lot of windows open
    >> and its starting to give low video memory errors. So if you want
    >> Glass, you gotta pay the price and I'm sure you will want Glass. :)
    >> --
    >> --
    >> Andre
    >> Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    >> Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    >> Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    >> [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]
    >>

    >> "Travis King" <Anonymousnone.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:ewMoT9dQGHA.3916TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    >>> It should work at least decent on my computer now:
    >>> AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.14GHz
    >>> WD 80GB 7200RPM 2MB Cache HD
    >>> WD 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HD
    >>> NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 128MB DDR Video Card
    >>> 768MB of RAM
    >>> Creative Audigy 5.1 Sound Card (I hope this will cooperate in Vista)
    >>> Linksys 10/100 network card
    >>> 400w PSU
    >>> 5 case fans
    >>> 3 1/2" floppy drive
    >>> Lite On 16x DVD drive
    >>> Memorex (Lite On) 52x32x52 CD RW drive
    >>> Logitech Z-680 speakers
    >>> Proview 19" CRT monitor currently 1360x1088
    >>> Logitech Elite Keyboard
    >>> Logitech MX510 Mouse
    >>> Canon i560 Printer
    >>> Canon PowerShot A520 digital camera
    >>> Rio S35S MP3 Player
    >>> Logitech Wingman controller
    >>> Visioneer 5800 scanner (Knowing Visioneer, it won't and never will
    >>> work in Vista.)
    >>>
    >>> Keep in mind that back then for the entire system and to build my
    >>> computer including buying Windows XP, it cost me around $2000 total.
    >>>
    >>> I plan on adding a gig of RAM in June to give me 1.75GB. (Do you
    >>> think that I should get more than this?) I'm considering getting a
    >>> better video card before the public Vista beta comes out but if I
    >>> don't get it then, I'll get one at the same time as I get the gig of
    >>> RAM.
    >>>

    > I was already planning on getting a 256MB Video Card. I was thinking
    > about getting an FX5500. I don't do lots of gaming besides Quake III
    > which runs well on my NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 at maximum settings at a
    > 1600x1200 screen resolution. (The maximum my monitor will support.)
    > Then, I was looking at the NVIDIA 6200's, but most of them on newegg
    > don't have fans on them unless you go up to the $100 level. Also,
    > what's better - 64-bit memory or 128-bit memory? I'd gather 128 is.
    > Most of the cheaper 6200's I saw were 64-bit memory while the FX5500
    > was 128. I remember that my GeForce3 when I bought it was around $130
    > and was only one of the few video cards with 128MB of memory. I don't
    > intend on using a 1600x1200 screen resolution (very often anyway) at
    > the OS level, but I might in Quake III.

    Guest

  13. #13

    Travis King wrote:
    > It should work at least decent on my computer now:
    > Creative Audigy 5.1 Sound Card (I hope this will cooperate in Vista)
    At the moment with the Creative Beta driver for Vista sound works ok but
    you always get a blue screen at the shutdown (quite annoying).

    --
    *Riccardo Cretti* - ICQ 15927849
    Get Firefox!