Professional Web Applications Themes

no e-mail on linux client - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have used two different flavors of Linux (RH and Mandrake) on a box that is connected through Ositis Winproxy (on Win98) as the firewall proxy server. E-mail works on a windows client . I believe it uses the socks server in Winproxy for e-mail. E-mail does not work on the Linux client (I have enough client seats) even though I believe I have it set-up correctly. I've tried both Kmail and Mozilla mail. I am baffeled!...

  1. #1

    Default no e-mail on linux client

    I have used two different flavors of Linux (RH and Mandrake) on a box
    that is connected through Ositis Winproxy (on Win98) as the firewall
    proxy server. E-mail works on a windows client . I believe it uses the
    socks server in Winproxy for e-mail. E-mail does not work on the Linux
    client (I have enough client seats) even though I believe I have it
    set-up correctly. I've tried both Kmail and Mozilla mail. I am baffeled!

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: no e-mail on linux client

    In article <supernews.com>, Bill Beal wrote:
    "E-mail does not work..." is too vague to provide many clues. What
    specifically have you tried, and what symptoms result?

    -jeff
    no Guest

  3. #3

    no spam wrote:

    > "E-mail does not work..." is too vague to provide many clues. What
    > specifically have you tried, and what symptoms result?
    >
    > -jeff[/ref]
    I am unable to connect to the e-mail server at my ISP. The firewall
    software is set such that e-mail should go through the socks proxy(?).
    In Mozilla, I've set the pop3 server to "mail.***.net" (***=isp
    hostname), user name to the assigned one, and port to 110. This is the
    same setup that works with Mozilla in windows. When I try to access the
    pop3 account, Moz present the message that it is trying to resolve
    mail.***.net . After a minute or so, it says it can't find the server.
    I've put both of the nameservers at my ISP into resol.conf. With
    Kmail it is set up similar and does about the same thing. The messages
    are similar. I've also tried using Winproxy's mail server but it
    doesn't work and I get no messages to debug with.

    Bill

    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Beal wrote:

    >> "E-mail does not work..." is too vague to provide many clues. What
    >> specifically have you tried, and what symptoms result?
    >>
    >> -jeff[/ref]
    > I am unable to connect to the e-mail server at my ISP. The firewall
    > software is set such that e-mail should go through the socks proxy(?).
    > In Mozilla, I've set the pop3 server to "mail.***.net" (***=isp
    > hostname), user name to the assigned one, and port to 110. This is the
    > same setup that works with Mozilla in windows. When I try to access the
    > pop3 account, Moz present the message that it is trying to resolve
    > mail.***.net . After a minute or so, it says it can't find the server.[/ref]

    Ping the name of the mail server. If you can ping the name, then name
    resolution is not the problem. If you cannot resolve the name, then name
    resolution is the (a) problem. Try pinging the address of the mail server.
    If you cannot ping the address, networking issues like firewall are
    involved.

    And so forth. Use common sense.

    Try pinging the addresses of the ISP name servers. What happens? Do you know
    that /etc/resolv.conf may be erased periodically (depending on your setup),
    for example when you log off ppp0?

    So this is not about any mail program, or for that matter, any specific
    network application at all. It is about your basic network setup.

    Try establishing what you can and cannot connect to, using ping and other
    basic tools.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    Bill Beal <net> wrote:

    How are you trying? Doesn't "telnet myISP 25" work? How about 587?

    Don't tell us about mozilla! That's not a debugging tool. We don't want
    to debug your problems with mozilla.

    Why are you using such stuff? Just telnet! If you want to know why a
    cupboard in your kitchen does not open you are hardly going to find out
    why by contracting an advertising team to sell your old soup cans.
    (ancient chinese proverb).

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    Bill Beal wrote:

    can you do
    telnet mail.***.net 110

    ? If you get a connection, you can log in with
    user <your user id>
    pass <your password>
    quit

    If not, you have a name server / firewall / other problem. Does
    ping mail.***.net
    work ?

    ping <IP number of mail.***.net>
    ? If yes, does