Professional Web Applications Themes

no flames, please. - FreeBSD

I'm thinking of adding both Doze and SuSE to one or two of my platforms. (I'm going tolearn Frnch if it's the last thing I ever do, and y'gotta have Windoze.) Anyhow, how hard it is to set up one of those dual boot programs? And-or, is there a dual-boot port for people who have never used one before? I just bought a 200GB drive and figure I'll give Doze 2G and SuSE maybe 20. My primary drive is a 40G. Having ballpark 230G total should support everything. If I install Windows 1st (I have to, right?), should I save ...

  1. #1

    Default no flames, please.

    I'm thinking of adding both Doze and SuSE to one or two of
    my platforms. (I'm going tolearn Frnch if it's the last thing
    I ever do, and y'gotta have Windoze.) Anyhow, how hard it is
    to set up one of those dual boot programs? And-or, is there
    a dual-boot port for people who have never used one before?

    I just bought a 200GB drive and figure I'll give Doze 2G and
    SuSE maybe 20. My primary drive is a 40G. Having ballpark
    230G total should support everything.

    If I install Windows 1st (I have to, right?), should I save
    NN gigs of disc space for SuSE when I buy their CD? Is there
    a better flavor on Linux that I should consider?

    thanks for any suggestions,

    gary

    --
    Gary Kline org www.thought.org Public service Unix

    Gary Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: no flames, please.

    On Mar 11, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

    Depending on how much you like to do and how much you want a
    click-here-and-install-and-be-done type Linux, a lot of people who are
    BSD oriented like gentoo Linux for its package management system that
    is similar to ports etc.

    Chad

    Chad Guest

  3. #3

    Found this for ya.
    http://www.pperry.f2s.com/linux-dualboot.htm
    freebsduser@comcast.net Guest

  4. #4

    On Friday 11 March 2005 20:25, Gary Kline wrote:

    I've not tried it yet, but I like the look of:

    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

    It's based on Debian but aims to update several times a year instead of once
    every several years. Also updates are done online rather that via a stack of
    disks.

    Gentoo's good too, but it's relatively high maintainence.

    RW Guest

  5. #5

    http://www.pperry.f2s.com/linux-dualboot.htm

    looks promising, thanks. GRUB seemed wedged at 32G; I don't know
    about LILO or the default FBSD loader...

  6. #6

    On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 08:50:21PM +0000, RW wrote:

    > I've not tried it yet, but I like the look of:
    >
    > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
    >

    > It's based on Debian but aims to update several times a year instead of once
    > every several years. Also updates are done online rather that via a stack of
    > disks.
    >
    > Gentoo's good too, but it's relatively high maintainence.
    >[/ref]

    Well, my druthers are havibg a click-and-everything-is-done
    Linux. (Then having webmin show me howto do most of the
    admin chores.)

    Be nice if I could buy a started CD of this new (*gasp*,
    umpteenth distro of Linux!) But I'm all for online updates.

    gary

  7. #7

    I am running XandrOS Linux on an old Digital PC box. It is almost
    scarily Windows-like, but installs in a snap and, if you buy the
    full edition, comes with Crossover Office for all the Windows
    applications you can't wait to run. On another test box (a Dell), MS Office
    ran just fine under XandrOS Linux and Crossover Office.

    It updates just like Windows Update (which is good or bad, depending
    on your point of view).

    Don

    Don Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:49:24PM -0500, Don Tyson wrote:

    Or maybe you mean: All the Windows apps you can't wait to
    have crash and burn!! Can you run this flavor of Linux
    and dual-boot FBSD? About the *only* thing I want to use
    Win for is the billions and billions of CD apps. Like
    French, and "make your own greeting cards" and maybe a
    few classic card/board games.

    gary

    PS: When did DEC ever have a PeeCee? I remember their
    11/* machines fondly; the next thing I knew they got
    bought out by a PC firm.

  9. #9

    On Mar 11, 2005, at 5:59 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

    DEC had lots of PCs. Desktops, laptops. etc. Even SAMs club had DEC
    PCs.

    They started off with their proprietary Pros and Rainbows, then went to
    industry standard PCs once the BIOSes had been legally cloned. Part of
    their PC work was with Olivetti.

    This page lists a few of them:

    <http://h18000.www1.hp.com/legacysupport/digital/retired.html>

    best
    Chad

    Chad Guest

  10. #10

    > On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:49:24PM -0500, Don Tyson wrote:
    >
    > Or maybe you mean: All the Windows apps you can't wait to
    > have crash and burn!! Can you run this flavor of Linux
    > and dual-boot FBSD? About the *only* thing I want to use
    > Win for is the billions and billions of CD apps. Like
    > French, and "make your own greeting cards" and maybe a
    > few classic card/board games.
    >
    > gary
    >
    > PS: When did DEC ever have a PeeCee? I remember their
    > 11/* machines fondly; the next thing I knew they got
    > bought out by a PC firm.[/ref]

    It's a Digital 5000 with a PII. As for Windows apps, I understand that
    the simpler they are the better they run; I've tried Quicken and
    Windows Media Player with no problems; MS Office
    won't load on this box, although it ran on the Dell.

    I understand Crossover Office is simply a
    tweaked version of Wine. XandrOS has a list of Windows stuff they've
    tested. Their X desktop is a slimmed-down version of KDE.

    I haven't dual-booted this particular Linux, but I don't know why you
    couldn't. You don't need a Windows OS to use Crossover Office; it will
    create its own fake C: drive when installed. It comes with Lilo and
    maybe Grub, I think, but you can always use the FreeBSD boot manager as well.

    For what it's worth, Digital 5000s are available, or were last year,
    on eBay for around $30; without hard drives. Shipping was about double
    that.

    Don
    Don Guest

  11. #11

    On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 06:24:10PM -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

    > DEC had lots of PCs. Desktops, laptops. etc. Even SAMs club had DEC
    > PCs.
    >
    > They started off with their proprietary Pros and Rainbows, then went to
    > industry standard PCs once the BIOSes had been legally cloned. Part of
    > their PC work was with Olivetti.[/ref]

    Wasn't it DEC that crreated the early 64-bit Alpha??
    Or was this afteer they were sold down the river to
    <was it Compac?>? I didn't know DEC was selling Intel
    PCs.

    I'll check it out, thanks. It's interesting to see which
    organizations produce winning products and which wind up
    as food for larger fish.

    Getting back to which (if any) Linux is worth bothering
    with, this is www.ubuntulinux.org has for their lead paragraph.

    <QUOTE>
    "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to
    others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all
    are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu
    to the software world.
    </QUOTE>

    This sounds a lot like FreeBSD; it's an ethic I can get
    behind. Worth checking out.

    thanks to the entire group!

    gary

  12. #12

    On Mar 11, 2005, at 7:24 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

    >> DEC had lots of PCs. Desktops, laptops. etc. Even SAMs club had DEC
    >> PCs.
    >>
    >> They started off with their proprietary Pros and Rainbows, then went
    >> industry standard PCs once the BIOSes had been legally cloned. Part
    >> of
    >> their PC work was with Olivetti.[/ref]
    >
    > Wasn't it DEC that crreated the early 64-bit Alpha??
    > Or was this afteer they were sold down the river to
    > <was it Compac?>? I didn't know DEC was selling Intel
    > PCs.[/ref]

    Yes, the Alpha was a DEC product.

    My dad worked at DEC from 76 through around 92 and I worked there
    88-93 as well as two summers in 84 and 85. Until Ken Olsen left and
    things started to fall apart, I was ready to work there my whole life.

    Chad

    Chad Guest

  13. #13

    Don Tyson wrote:

    That's cool, but isn't it an, um, offense or, um, whatever to that
    lon^H^Hittle
    thingy that you, um, click, that says, umm, "youse lick my end, agree*"
    or is called a Yule-something (Merry Christmas to Mickey$oft?) when
    you destabilize the system installer?

    Could be a rumor, I guess.

    Jus' trolling :-)

    Kevin Kinsey

    * Umm, woops! "End User License Agreement", I see now it sez....
    Kevin Guest

  14. #14

    > Don Tyson wrote:
    >
    > That's cool, but isn't it an, um, offense or, um, whatever to that
    > lon^H^Hittle
    >
    > * Umm, woops! "End User License Agreement", I see now it sez....[/ref]

    Yes, you must have a licensed copy of MS Office to install it. You do
    not need a copy of the Windows OS itself.

    Don
    Don Guest

  15. #15

    >>KDK> That's cool, but isn't it an, um, offense or, um, whatever to that
    >>lon^H^Hittle
    >>
    >>* Umm, woops! "End User License Agreement", I see now it sez....
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Yes, you must have a licensed copy of MS Office to install it. You do
    >not need a copy of the Windows OS itself.
    >
    >Don
    >
    >[/ref]

    Hmm, I don't see any clause in the "Office Standard Edition 2003" EULA
    that would support my claim, so I publicly repent of any FUD that may
    have been flung your way.

    OTOH, the box that the product comes in pretty well states that you
    need a Microsoft OS ("System Requirements"). I guess one could say
    that since we're running 5.3, or what-not, we have something "later" :-)

    It's a rather controversial issue, and the EULA's from Redmond
    are continually varying in their language. Compare some older ones,
    and see also things like:

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1766738,00.asp
    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/17/1318212&tid=125&tid=109&tid=106
    (watch out for URI wrapping)

    I'm not trying to troll now, nor offend; but, based on reading some M$
    "doents", as it were, one might very well wonder whether Microsoft
    really agrees with your last statement or not.

    Sincerely,

    Kevin Kinsey
    Kevin Guest