Professional Web Applications Themes

No more Contax... - Photography

....according to dPreview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05030301kyocera.asp -- http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/...

  1. #1

    Default No more Contax...

    ....according to dPreview:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05030301kyocera.asp
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No more Contax...

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message
    news:verizon.net...

    A sad moment. Though too pricey for my budget. I've always admired Contax
    optics.

    Walt

    Walt Guest

  3. #3

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message

    Any bets on Olympus folding within the next 12 months?

    Courtesy Guest

  4. #4

    "Courtesy Assured" <com> wrote in news:38pehiF5pvqk4U1
    individual.net:

    > Any bets on Olympus folding within the next 12 months?
    >

    >[/ref]

    Olympus will never fold. They are a highly diversified company with some of
    the most amazing medical imaging systems on the market for example. They
    may have shot themselves in the foot with their high end digital cameras,
    but thats hardly enough reason to think even their digicam division will be
    "next".
    Nunnya Guest

  5. #5

    "Nunnya Bizniss" <com> wrote in message

    >> Any bets on Olympus folding within the next 12 months?
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Olympus will never fold. They are a highly diversified company with some
    > of
    > the most amazing medical imaging systems on the market for example. They
    > may have shot themselves in the foot with their high end digital cameras,
    > but thats hardly enough reason to think even their digicam division will
    > be
    > "next".<<[/ref]

    Well, it would be pointless to re-hash the well doented deficiencies of
    the 4/3 system - just about everyone is already aware that it produces noisy
    and relatively poor quality images(or, if they don't know, they've only to
    read some reviews)

    What has become noticeable is the collapse in prices for Olympus DSLR's -
    the 300, for instance, is now selling in the UK for less than 540 - and I
    fully expect it to fall below the 500 barrier in a couple of weeks.

    The E1 is also poised for massive reductions as an increasingly desperate
    Olympus try to shift stock of its aged overpriced flagship camera.

    So, why are prices dropping? - yep, because no-one wants them.

    There is talk of Olympus releasing a low priced kit version of the 300 with
    the 24-45 & 50-140 lenses AND offering a rebate. This might temporarily
    help sales - but, as usual, Olympus offer too little, too late.

    Already approaching a financial crisis, Olympus look set to pull out of the
    DSLR market fairly soon - their losses are simply unsustainable.

    They might well soldier on for a bit longer with their point & shoot
    models - but even those are being seriously undercut by their rivals.

    Face it - Olympus have ed their customers for years - their lenses are
    way overpriced, their DSLR cameras are noisy and/or plagued with JPEG
    compression problems, and their ridiculous insistence of sticking to the
    discredited 4/3 system ensures that no 'professional' users will be buying
    the E-1 replacement, even if Olympus can afford to develop it - which is
    increasingly doubtful.

    So, all in all, I don't think that 2005 is going to be a very good year for
    Oly.

    Courtesy Guest

  6. #6

    "Courtesy Assured" <com> wrote in

    The strangest part of this is thet Oly told us that
    the new fantastic 4/3 system had some extra ordinary
    properties that made it superior - that the real advantage
    was that it was the choice of professionals that wanted
    a tool that produced outstanding results. It was lots
    of talk of tele centric lenses etc, etc, ... The site was
    full of fashion photography made by very good photographers.

    And now? Cheap cameras and lenses to try to save the system.
    Back to the roots - amateurs.

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  7. #7

    I think Olympus is one of the more successful P&S manufacturers. They
    will probably be out of the DSLR business as soon as they can dump the
    remaining stock, but will "pretend" it is still a going concern they way
    they did with the OM system for a few years after they had stopped making
    them.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    "Courtesy Assured" <com> wrote in message

    > Any bets on Olympus folding within the next 12 months?
    >
    >[/ref]

    Tony Guest

  8. #8

    > Any bets on Olympus folding within the next 12 months?
    >[/ref]
    Olympus is in good financial shape. Cameras is a small part of their
    business. Olympus is netter known for microscopes, and medical equipment.

    Panasonic and Olympus have a joint 4/3 venture at this time. I suspect that
    Leica is the next casualty after Contax...

    Darrell Guest

  9. #9

    I never understood how Yashica/Kyocera found the Contax brand name
    profitable for the last two decades.

    bmoag Guest

  10. #10

    "Tony" <rr.com> wrote in message

    They have decent market share, around 11%, but it's falling. I expect that
    they'll end up merging their digital camera business with another
    low-market-share manufacturer, just like Konica-Minolta. It's hard to be a
    survivor in a commodity market, with no higher-end products. Too bad they
    got into the 4:3 mess. Pentax and Konica-Minolta look like they may make a
    go of it in the consumer D-SLRs.

    Steven Guest

  11. #11

    In article <net>,
    "Courtesy Assured" <com> wrote:

    Instead of reading reviews, I actually use the E-system, (among other
    camera's) and I can only say it has surpassed all my expectations by a
    wide margin. The E1 is a high-quality pro-level tool. (unlike Canon's
    offerings on the same price-level) It beats the Nikon D1x hands down,
    and this was the top level Nikon up to a week ago. E1 production has
    already stopped by the way, expect some interesting news in a few
    weeks/months, while stock is being cleared. You are so hoplessly
    misinformed it isn't even funny. Admit it, peanut-brain, you are just
    repeating nonsense you heard on the web, like a parrot. Does your mother
    know you are using her computer?

    Have fun looking through your plastic f/5.6 20D kit-lens. Now THAT is an
    example of an overpriced lens... $100 optics and Canon sells it for
    $500. They must laugh their asses off.

    Lourens
    Lourens Guest

  12. #12

    In article <133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <com> wrote:

    Ah... someone who hasn't seen the latest stuff yet.

    14-35mm f2.0
    http://www.digitalcamera.jp/html/HotNews/image/2005-02/21/E14-35mmF2.JPG

    35-100mm f2.0
    http://www.digitalcamera.jp/html/HotNews/image/2005-02/21/E35-100mmF2.JPG

    90-250mm f2.8
    http://www.digitalcamera.jp/html/HotNews/image/2005-02/21/E90-250mm.JPG

    Lourens
    Lourens Guest

  13. #13

    "Lourens Smak" <nl> wrote in message
    Admit it, peanut-brain, you are just

    Feeling a little touchy about our purchase decision?... =)

    Al...

    Alan Guest

  14. #14

    > Instead of reading reviews, I actually use the E-system, (among other
    > camera's) and I can only say it has surpassed all my expectations by a
    > wide margin. The E1 is a high-quality pro-level tool. (unlike Canon's
    > offerings on the same price-level) It beats the Nikon D1x hands down,
    > and this was the top level Nikon up to a week ago. E1 production has
    > already stopped by the way, expect some interesting news in a few
    > weeks/months, while stock is being cleared. You are so hoplessly
    > misinformed it isn't even funny. Admit it, peanut-brain, you are just
    > repeating nonsense you heard on the web, like a parrot. Does your mother
    > know you are using her computer?
    >
    > Have fun looking through your plastic f/5.6 20D kit-lens. Now THAT is an
    > example of an overpriced lens... $100 optics and Canon sells it for
    > $500. They must laugh their asses off.
    >
    > Lourens[/ref]

    Actually, my observations are based on a week's use of a 300 - which proved
    to be a nasty little camera exhibiting all the limitations of the 4/3
    system.

    As for the fabled E-1 - if you like it, and are happy with the unsharp noisy
    images it produces, fine. Perhaps it is, as you claim, a 'High level Pro
    tool' - but without any 'High level Pro's' actually using it.

    Still, perhaps you know something they don't?

    However, it seems clear that your decent into personal abuse is symptomatic
    of your own dissatisfaction with your wildly overpriced antique.

    I'm not surprised to learn that E-1 production has ended - and as for the
    'interesting news' that you are anticipating, I believe that this will prove
    to be the announcement from Olympus that they have finally decided to stop
    holding their corporate fingers in the fire, and are pulling out of the DSLR
    market altogether.

    Remember, the alleged collaboration with Panasonic remains mere vaporware -
    empty words on hastily scribble press releases. I very much doubt that, in
    reality, Panasonic will actually choose to follow Olympus down the pathway
    to bankruptcy.

    After all, Fuji came to their senses, didn't they? - and perhaps now it's
    time for you to do the same?

    Courtesy Guest

  15. #15

    The way Oly is treating the 5060 mode dial issue is both shameful and
    indicative of a company that couldn't care less about its customers --
    and maybe its line of business. Evidence indicates increasingly that
    they are purposely selling a camera with known defects and practicing
    highly inconsistent repair and warranty policies. My own 5060 died
    after a couple of months (non-mode dial problem) and there are
    increasing horror stories about this camera (which does take beautiful
    photos when it works) which not only suggest that shortcuts were taken
    in the manufacturing process, but that the company has decided to duck
    and weave away from telling the truth. They have never responded to
    inquiries from me and other users. I'm a fifth generation Oly digicam
    user and cannot imagine that there will be a sixth unless something
    changes dramatically.

    Ron Guest

  16. #16

    > Instead of reading reviews, I actually use the E-system, (among other
    > camera's) and I can only say it has surpassed all my expectations by a
    > wide margin. The E1 is a high-quality pro-level tool. (unlike Canon's
    > offerings on the same price-level) It beats the Nikon D1x hands down,
    > and this was the top level Nikon up to a week ago. E1 production has
    > already stopped by the way, expect some interesting news in a few
    > weeks/months, while stock is being cleared. You are so hoplessly
    > misinformed it isn't even funny. Admit it, peanut-brain, you are just
    > repeating nonsense you heard on the web, like a parrot. Does your mother
    > know you are using her computer?
    >
    > Have fun looking through your plastic f/5.6 20D kit-lens. Now THAT is an
    > example of an overpriced lens... $100 optics and Canon sells it for
    > $500. They must laugh their asses off.
    >
    > Lourens[/ref]

    Lourens, you are a classic example of a pot calling a kettle black. Through
    misrepresentation and out and out falsehood, you condemn a camera, system
    and company with which you have little, if any, familiarity. The feel and
    heft of the E-1 (yes, I've tried one, at the store) is similar the that of
    the 20D. Yes, it is better sealed, but no better constructed. And it was
    too small for me to handle comfortably. The "kit" lens you seem to be
    talking about is probably the 17-85 f4-5.6 IS, but you seem, in your
    fanaticism, to be combining it with the 18-55 f4.5-5.6 lens, one that does,
    indeed, have $100 worth of optics, which is what the lens sells for. The
    17-85 isn't a cheapie, and offers something that no Olympus lens offers,
    image stabilization. You can't match it with anything you own, or may, in
    the future own, because Olympus doesn't have it.
    And there is no way that the image quality of the E-1 can match the quality
    of the 20D, with the limitations of the Oly 5mp sensor, not to mention any
    of the other offerings of other camera manufacturers, including the
    KonicaMinolta 7D with its built in "anti-shake," Canon 1D mkII and 1Ds mkII
    or the Nikon D2x. Speaking of laughing their asses off, Oly must be having
    a serious chuckle over convincing guys like you that a smaller, lower
    resolution sensor is better. All it did was let them build cameras and
    lenses with less material in them, and charge you the same as, or more than,
    the other mfrs. do for theirs.
    Give it up, Lourens, you've exhausted any credibility you ever had.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  17. #17

    "Courtesy Assured" <com> wrote in message

    Can you explain what Fuji did?

    Jeremy Guest

  18. #18

    "bmoag" <net> wrote in message

    Well, the marketing thrust was not the cameras, but the lenses. Their
    signature slogan was something like "The essence of Carl Zeiss Lenses."

    Real bummer to see them go. Sorry for anyone that was building a system,
    and now has to decide whether to stick with this orphan or move over to
    something else that remains in production. I can't imagine pros--who
    require equipment in good repair, to make their livings--remaining with
    this.

    Might be some bargains on eBay for amateurs whose requirements are less
    stringent. We shall see.

    Jeremy Guest

  19. #19

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:

    > They have decent market share, around 11%, but it's falling. I expect that
    > they'll end up merging their digital camera business with another
    > low-market-share manufacturer, just like Konica-Minolta. It's hard to be a
    > survivor in a commodity market, with no higher-end products. Too bad they
    > got into the 4:3 mess. Pentax and Konica-Minolta look like they may make a
    > go of it in the consumer D-SLRs.
    >
    >[/ref]
    This would parallel what they did in film cameras (dropped new SLRs).
    As Oly SLR (film) fans, we have now bought a different brand, 'cause few
    lens mfgs make new lenses for our old Olys. Sad- we bought Olympus for
    decades. I even bought an Oly digicam. I doubt if I will buy another,
    though. Not that my Oly digital was bad when I bought it, but if I were
    in market for new digicam today, I think other brands offer more bang
    for buck.
    Don Guest

  20. #20

    Listen to you people! Hey ... it's about the pictures, not the cameras.

    Here's two street shots I took this weekend. Please enjoy them, and
    lighten up.

    http://narcissus.net/tillary.jpg
    http://narcissus.net/skater.jpg

    --