Professional Web Applications Themes

No network card - Windows Networking

"adrian916" <aphutchinsonyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:007301c347b9$df2b13d0$a101280aphx.gbl... > I have a compaq evo running Win XP, it has a built in > network card with an illuminated LED.However the adaptor > does not appear in device manager and therefore there is > no local area connection/properties/drivers etc. I have > spoken to compaq who say that as the LED is on & I can > ping 127.0.0.1 You can connect to 127.0.0.1 without even having a network card (at least you could in WinNT 3.51). I would think that implies you could ping it too. > then there is nothing wrong ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: No network card

    "adrian916" <aphutchinsonyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have a compaq evo running Win XP, it has a built in
    > network card with an illuminated LED.However the adaptor
    > does not appear in device manager and therefore there is
    > no local area connection/properties/drivers etc. I have
    > spoken to compaq who say that as the LED is on & I can
    > ping 127.0.0.1
    You can connect to 127.0.0.1 without even having a
    network card (at least you could in WinNT 3.51). I
    would think that implies you could ping it too.
    > then there is nothing wrong with the
    > hardware and it must be a software problem if windows
    > can't detect it.They have suggested a system restore,
    > however this is rather a drastic step - anything else I
    > can try first? (already scanned for hardware changes,
    > released all adaptors in safe mode and rebooted)
    Do you have the onboard Ethernet chip enabled in the
    BIOS?

    -- Bob Day
    Need a static IP address? Consider IPLinkThru:
    [url]http://appsoft.shorturl.com[/url]

    Bob Day Guest

  2. #2

    > Tried looking in the bios but couldn't see anything that
    > might apply. I don't find the compaq bios particularly
    > intuitive (I've heard others say this too!)- what should I
    > be looking for with this make?.
    My BIOS says "Onboard Lan Chip" Enabled/Disabled".
    You might try calling the Compaq support people again
    and ask them how to check in the BIOS whether the
    on-board Ethernet chip is enabled. Also, if you call them
    again, you might reach someone who is more
    knowledgeable. I used to have a Dell computer
    (before I started building my own) and my experience
    was that it often took several calls to reach someone in
    Dell support who had a clue.

    -- Bob Day

    > With regards to 127.0.0.1,
    > I agree with you - I was under the impression that this
    > checked that TCP/IP was enabled, but you had to ping
    > another pc on the subnet to check the network card
    > (obviously I can't do this as there is no network card -
    > apparently!!) - compaq say otherwise, help!, which is
    > correct?

    Bob Day Guest

  3. #3

    In article <007301c347b9$df2b13d0$a101280aphx.gbl>, "adrian916"
    <aphutchinsonyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >I have a compaq evo running Win XP, it has a built in
    >network card with an illuminated LED.However the adaptor
    >does not appear in device manager and therefore there is
    >no local area connection/properties/drivers etc. I have
    >spoken to compaq who say that as the LED is on & I can
    >ping 127.0.0.1 then there is nothing wrong with the
    >hardware and it must be a software problem if windows
    >can't detect it.They have suggested a system restore,
    >however this is rather a drastic step - anything else I
    >can try first? (already scanned for hardware changes,
    >released all adaptors in safe mode and rebooted)
    I disagree with what Compaq told you. I just pinged 127.0.0.1
    successfully on an XP computer that doesn't have any network hardware.

    The 127.x.x.x range of IP addresses is internal to the TCP/IP stack.
    Pinging 127.0.0.1 only indicates that the TCP/IP protocol is
    installed, which is always true in Windows XP. It doesn't tell you
    anything about network hardware.

    I agree with Bob Day's suggestion to see if the NIC is disabled in the
    BIOS.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    Default No network card

    Thanks for the information/confirmation guys, once I
    quoted the technicalities to compaq with certainty, they
    decided it might be best to send an engineer after all
    (only took 4 phone calls)- didn't want to get in too deep
    as the machine is still under warranty, but they were
    trying to pass the buck back onto me.

    adrian916 Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Bob and Steve for the suggestions, they're always
    welcome. Eventually got compaq to make a service call - I
    think they ended up changing one of the circuit boards to
    get it going.

    127.0.0.1, [/ref]
    adaptor [/ref]
    is