Professional Web Applications Themes

No printing w/OS 5.0.6 - SCO

Yo Sports fans; We have installed OS 5.0.6 on a new server and now it does not print either to a network printer (Intel print server) nor using LP0. Other printers on the net work as usual and there are no overt error messages to be found. Followed the usual hacks in Tony Lawrence's faq, and read all the TA's in SCO support files. Nothing seems to fit. Permissions are ok, and ownership and group have been checked. lpstat -t shows all as expected and the jobs are marked as complete. But nothing comes out the pipe, (and two different ...

  1. #1

    Default No printing w/OS 5.0.6

    Yo Sports fans;
    We have installed OS 5.0.6 on a new server and now it does not print
    either to a network printer (Intel print server) nor using LP0. Other
    printers on the net work as usual and there are no overt error messages to
    be found. Followed the usual hacks in Tony Lawrence's faq, and read all
    the TA's in SCO support files. Nothing seems to fit. Permissions are ok,
    and ownership and group have been checked. lpstat -t shows all as
    expected and the jobs are marked as complete. But nothing comes out the
    pipe, (and two different pipes at that). Obviously since we haven't
    installed a new SCO 5.0.5 system in quite a while, we have forgotten something.

    But what?

    TIA, Doug Robinson, M&D Systems
    FDR Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No printing w/OS 5.0.6

    FDR typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:43:24PM +0000):

    | We have installed OS 5.0.6 on a new server and now it does not
    | print either to a network printer (Intel print server) nor using LP0.
    | Other printers on the net work as usual and there are no overt error
    | messages to be found. Followed the usual hacks in Tony Lawrence's
    | faq, and read all the TA's in SCO support files. Nothing seems to
    | fit. Permissions are ok, and ownership and group have been checked.
    | lpstat -t shows all as expected and the jobs are marked as complete.
    | But nothing comes out the pipe, (and two different pipes at that).
    | Obviously since we haven't installed a new SCO 5.0.5 system in quite a
    | while, we have forgotten something.
    |
    | But what?

    You ran mkdev parallel?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  3. #3

    "FDR" <com> wrote in message news:<gom6b.36923$news.adelphia.net>...

    What happens when you do
    # cat sometextfile > /dev/lp0
    ?
    Regards...Dan
    Dan Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:15:21 +0000, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    Jean Pierre;
    Yes and it created the appropriate /dev entries with the expected
    ownership and permissions. The major and minor look fine...no joy here.
    I seem to remember some problem about /etc/printcap but we figured we
    would try to get the parallel running first. Monday I hope to have them
    reboot first thing and tell me if we get a reset signal to the printer.
    Usually you can hear that.

    FDR Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:46:47 +0000, Dan Skinner wrote:

    > What happens when you do
    > # cat sometextfile > /dev/lp0
    > ?
    > Regards...Dan[/ref]

    Dan;
    It hangs the machine and we have to kill the telenet session to get back. No joy there
    and it does't respond to a Cntrl j, Cntrl M, Cntrlc, or escape either.
    Its deadsville.
    FDR Guest

  6. #6

    FDR typed (on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:05:27PM +0000):
    | On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:46:47 +0000, Dan Skinner wrote:
    |
    | > "FDR" <com> wrote in message
    | >> Yo Sports fans;
    | >> We have installed OS 5.0.6 on a new server and now it does not print
    | >> either to a network printer (Intel print server) nor using LP0. Other
    | >> printers on the net work as usual and there are no overt error messages
    | >> to be found. Followed the usual hacks in Tony Lawrence's faq, and read
    | >> all the TA's in SCO support files. Nothing seems to fit. Permissions
    | >> are ok, and ownership and group have been checked. lpstat -t shows all
    | >> as expected and the jobs are marked as complete. But nothing comes out
    | >> the pipe, (and two different pipes at that). Obviously since we haven't
    | >> installed a new SCO 5.0.5 system in quite a while, we have forgotten
    | >> something.
    | >>
    | >> But what?
    | >>
    | >> TIA, Doug Robinson, M&D Systems
    | >
    | > What happens when you do
    | > # cat sometextfile > /dev/lp0
    | > ?
    | > Regards...Dan
    |
    | Dan;

    | It hangs the machine and we have to kill the telenet session to
    | get back. No joy there and it does't respond to a Cntrl j, Cntrl M,
    | Cntrlc, or escape either. Its deadsville.

    Does hwconfig show 'parallel'?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  7. #7

    FDR typed (on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:02:48PM +0000):
    | On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:15:21 +0000, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    |
    | > FDR typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:43:24PM +0000):
    | >
    | > | We have installed OS 5.0.6 on a new server and now it does not
    | > | print either to a network printer (Intel print server) nor using LP0.
    | > | Other printers on the net work as usual and there are no overt error
    | > | messages to be found. Followed the usual hacks in Tony Lawrence's faq,
    | > | and read all the TA's in SCO support files. Nothing seems to fit.
    | > | Permissions are ok, and ownership and group have been checked. lpstat -t
    | > | shows all as expected and the jobs are marked as complete. But nothing
    | > | comes out the pipe, (and two different pipes at that). Obviously since
    | > | we haven't installed a new SCO 5.0.5 system in quite a while, we have
    | > | forgotten something.
    | > |
    | > | But what?
    | >
    | > You ran mkdev parallel?
    |
    | Jean Pierre;
    | Yes and it created the appropriate /dev entries with the expected
    | ownership and permissions. The major and minor look fine...no joy here.
    | I seem to remember some problem about /etc/printcap but we figured we
    | would try to get the parallel running first. Monday I hope to have them
    | reboot first thing and tell me if we get a reset signal to the printer.
    | Usually you can hear that.

    Try lpshut and lpstart instead of rebooting.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  8. #8

    FDR wrote:

     [/ref]

    If you can kill the telnet session and telnet back in, it didn't hang
    the machine, it hung the session. Big difference. If it hung the
    machine we need to look at things like interrupt conflicts. If it hung
    the session, it's probably because your interrupt character was "DEL",
    so of course it didn't pay attention to ^C.

    Bela Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:02:48 +0000, FDR wrote:

    > Jean Pierre;
    > Yes and it created the appropriate /dev entries with the expected
    > ownership and permissions. The major and minor look fine...no joy here.
    > I seem to remember some problem about /etc/printcap but we figured we
    > would try to get the parallel running first. Monday I hope to have them
    > reboot first thing and tell me if we get a reset signal to the printer.
    > Usually you can hear that.[/ref]

    Final dispostion and new information for you SCO fans. First off if you
    hook a HP laser printer (not a 3D for which you have no doentation), to the
    parallel, it works just fine. Second if you run an Intel print server
    (circa 5 yrs old), on Open Server 5.0.6 Intel sez it ain't gonna work and
    Chuck you Farley Brown they are outa business and don't care. I guess
    going with the big dog dosn't guarentee success all the time either. HP
    is sending over their replacement boxes and I am sure all will be well.

    Thanks for the help guys, professional as usual. I am going to really
    miss this forum. Doug Robinson
    Doug Guest

  10. #10

    Doug Robinson enscribed:
    | On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:02:48 +0000, FDR wrote:
    |
    | > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:15:21 +0000, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | >
    | >> FDR typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:43:24PM +0000):

    | >> |

    | >> You ran mkdev parallel?
    | >
    | > Jean Pierre;
    | > Yes and it created the appropriate /dev entries with the expected
    | > ownership and permissions. The major and minor look fine...no joy here.
    | > I seem to remember some problem about /etc/printcap but we figured we
    | > would try to get the parallel running first. Monday I hope to have them
    | > reboot first thing and tell me if we get a reset signal to the printer.
    | > Usually you can hear that.
    |
    | Final dispostion and new information for you SCO fans. First off if you
    | hook a HP laser printer (not a 3D for which you have no doentation), to the
    | parallel, it works just fine. Second if you run an Intel print server
    | (circa 5 yrs old), on Open Server 5.0.6 Intel sez it ain't gonna work and
    | Chuck you Farley Brown they are outa business and don't care. I guess
    | going with the big dog dosn't guarentee success all the time either. HP
    | is sending over their replacement boxes and I am sure all will be well.

    I have Intel printservers of around that age running on many 5.0.5
    and 5.0.6 boxes. The Intel supplied procedure does work but I long
    ago abandoned it for netcat.

    | Thanks for the help guys, professional as usual. I am going to really
    | miss this forum. Doug Robinson

    You don't have to leave.

    Tom Parsons com
    Tom Guest