Professional Web Applications Themes

no RTRIM function after a successful restore ? - IBM DB2

Hi, I have just successfully restored a database from one Linux box to another. Unfortunately, on the restored database I get errors stating SQL0440N No authorised routine named RTRIM of type FUNCTION having compatible arguments was found SQLSTATE=42884 ?? Do I have to restore some UDFs manually or something ? Thanks. (Sorry if this is an RTFM, but I'm running out the door to go home and wanted to catch those on US Time zones :-) ) Paul....

  1. #1

    Default no RTRIM function after a successful restore ?

    Hi,

    I have just successfully restored a database from one Linux box to another.

    Unfortunately, on the restored database I get errors stating

    SQL0440N No authorised routine named RTRIM of type FUNCTION
    having compatible arguments was found SQLSTATE=42884

    ??

    Do I have to restore some UDFs manually or something ?

    Thanks.

    (Sorry if this is an RTFM, but I'm running out the door to go home
    and wanted to catch those on US Time zones :-) )

    Paul.
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: no RTRIM function after a successful restore ?

    RTRIM is part of the SYSFUN schema in v8. Perpahs you have some sort of
    schema issue? You should not have to install a UDF for RTRIM.

    Blair Guest

  3. #3

    Paul,

    Blair is correct, however note that for non-built udfs and stored procs
    must be move manually after the restore (known function requirement).

    Blair Adamache wrote:

    >[/ref]

    Sean Guest

  4. #4

    Guys, are you sure? I thought RTRIM was changed into a built in a long
    time ago although the sysfun version should still be there.

    Paul, do you get the error on a clp query?

    Sean McKeough wrote:

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    No Guest

  5. #5

    Also, is this a really old database? Or maybe the RTRIM is applied on a
    clob?

    No Body wrote:

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    No Guest

  6. #6

    Sean McKeough <ca.ibm.com> wrote:

    I don't know the details as well as you do, Sean, but wouldn't you get a
    SQL0444 in that case??
     [/ref][/ref]

    --
    Knut Stolze
    Information Integration

  7. #7

    Hi,

    I think I have fixed this issue by rebinding the CLI Packages for
    Windows client (where we were seeing the error).

    - Not sure why I had to do this after a restore?

    The CLP (on Linux server) was working just fine, but CLI
    from Windows clients wasn't.

    Our Java UDFs seem to be a different issue altogether,
    The Jar hasn't been restored as part of the standard restore.
    - I seem to remember seeing something about this deficiency
    i.e that you have to back up UDFs and SPs manually ?

    I guess I'll just transfer the UDF Jar over the restore server
    and perform a SQLJ.INSTALL_JAR again there?
    - and maybe I have to drop/create the UDFs again too?

    Thanks for the input.

    Paul.
    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    There are a few different errors that can be returned depending on the
    nature of the failed lookup.

    Knut Stolze wrote:

    > I don't know the details as well as you do, Sean, but wouldn't you get a
    > SQL0444 in that case??
    >
    > [/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Sean Guest

  9. #9

    Paul,

    Just re-installing the jars should be sufficient. The udf definitions
    will still exist in the db (of course if you're using install_jar, you'd
    have to remove/install the jar)...but really if the catalogs are there
    you just need to move the jar directory from sqllib/function into the
    new instance.

    Sean Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the input.

    Some otehr underlying problems also started appearing in the restored
    database, and I suddenly realised our backup machine was
    on V8.1 FP2 and the restore machine was V8.1 FP1.

    After upgrading the restore machine to FP2 all the gremlins
    disappeared.

    I was kind of surprised the restore didn't 'migrate' or 'reject'
    this restore in that case ??

    Paul.
    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    I suspect that in an "availability" scenario (i.e. a customer plans to
    migrate on the weekend, and needs the database available at the new
    level by a certain time) having the database up and connectable, even
    missing RTRIM, is preferrable to rejecting the migration.

    Paul Reddin wrote:

    Blair Guest