Professional Web Applications Themes

No video after kernel compilation - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Every time I try to compile the linux kernel, I get a blank screen on reboot. I've always followed these directions: [url]http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/quick_steps.html[/url] So after doing the compilation and rebooting, it gives me the lilo prompt, and I choose my new kernel there. Lilo does the print-lots-of-dots thing as usual, but right after that, the screen goes blank. The hard disk is still cranking away, though, for 30 seconds or a minute, as if it's working properly, just with no video. This has happened to me every time I've tried to compile a kernel, on 2 completely different systems, trying kernels ...

  1. #1

    Default No video after kernel compilation

    Every time I try to compile the linux kernel, I get a blank screen on
    reboot.

    I've always followed these directions:
    [url]http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/quick_steps.html[/url]

    So after doing the compilation and rebooting, it gives me the lilo
    prompt, and I choose my new kernel there. Lilo does the
    print-lots-of-dots thing as usual, but right after that, the screen
    goes blank. The hard disk is still cranking away, though, for 30
    seconds or a minute, as if it's working properly, just with no video.

    This has happened to me every time I've tried to compile a kernel, on
    2 completely different systems, trying kernels 2.4.18 and 2.4.22 on
    both. One system has onboard video (Via/CastleRock?), and the other
    has an nVidia geForce4 64MB PCI card.

    So with the exact same result on 2 completely different systems, I
    figure it must be something that I'm doing wrong. Can anyone shed any
    light on this?

    Thanks,
    Anthony
    [url]http://nodivisions.com/[/url]
    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: No video after kernel compilation

    Anthony wrote:
    > So with the exact same result on 2 completely different systems, I
    > figure it must be something that I'm doing wrong. Can anyone shed any
    > light on this?
    .... are you booting to a GUI runlevel (most likely '5')?
    if so, do a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill the server and
    get to a prompt. alternatively, you could CTRL-ALT-F1
    to get to the terminal. check your log files in
    /var/log, such as XFree86.0.log and messages for clues
    ..
    Andrea: Unhappy the land that has no heroes.
    Galileo: No, unhappy the land that _____ needs heroes.

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    Hello

    Anthony (<ordersnodivisions.com>) wrote:
    > Every time I try to compile the linux kernel, I get a blank screen on
    > reboot.
    >
    > I've always followed these directions:
    > [url]http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/quick_steps.html[/url]
    >
    > So after doing the compilation and rebooting, it gives me the lilo
    > prompt, and I choose my new kernel there. Lilo does the
    > print-lots-of-dots thing as usual, but right after that, the screen
    > goes blank. The hard disk is still cranking away, though, for 30
    > seconds or a minute, as if it's working properly, just with no video.
    Maybe your lilo.conf is set to use some framebuffer graphics mode but
    your Kernel is compiled without the necessary drivers. Check your
    /etc/lilo.conf for the vga parameter. Try booting with "vga=normal".

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  4. #4

    mjt <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com> wrote in message news:<PAC7b.926$Od6.106newssvr22.news.prodigy.com >...
    > ... are you booting to a GUI runlevel (most likely '5')?
    > if so, do a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill the server and
    > get to a prompt. alternatively, you could CTRL-ALT-F1
    > to get to the terminal. check your log files in
    > /var/log, such as XFree86.0.log and messages for clues.
    No, I'm not, I'm booting to a shell prompt (X isn't even installed on this system).
    Anthony Guest

  5. #5

    Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssenbigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<bjn14l$c5f$06$1news.t-online.com>...
    > Maybe your lilo.conf is set to use some framebuffer graphics mode but
    > your Kernel is compiled without the necessary drivers. Check your
    > /etc/lilo.conf for the vga parameter. Try booting with "vga=normal".
    Well, it never fails; after googling and googling and finding no
    solution, I posted a message here. About 3 seconds after hitting the
    "Post" button, I came upon the solution, and it's the one you
    mentioned. I had vga=773; changing that to vga=normal allowed me to
    get some (super low-res) video.

    So, after reading these two pages:
    [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/01/2/40632[/url]
    [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/01/3/42125[/url]

    ....I looked for those settings, but on the 2.4.22 kernel that I just
    downloaded, they don't all exist. I do have CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT, but not CONFIG_FB_VESA. When I run make
    menuconfig, I don't have "Frame-buffer support" under "Console
    drivers," I only have "VGA text console" and "Video mode selection
    support" there, and both of those are enabled (built-in, not modules).

    I manually edited my .config file, and found that there are a whole
    bunch of CONFIG_FB_x, CONFIG_FBCON_x, and CONFIG_FONT_x that are
    present in config-ide-2.4.18, but not in the default config file that
    I got after running make menuconfig for the 2.4.22 kernel. I tried
    manually pasting the ones that looked relevant after running make
    menuconfig, but then make bzImage failed with errors related to the
    stuff I pasted in.

    From what I can tell, without those options, I can't get a 1024x768
    resolution at boot-time. When I set vga=ask and choose "scan", it
    comes back with 0-9 and a-b options, all of which are rather ugly, and
    all of which set the monitor to 600-something or 700-something for the
    horizontal resolution (according to the monitor's OSD, which displays
    the res).

    So... how can I enable a nice 1024x768 video mode at boot time with
    this kernel? I had it under 2.4.18. I am using an LCD display (and
    was under 2.4.18 too); does that make any difference? It's this one:

    [url]http://shop.store./iecomputers/hyimq17b17si.html[/url]

    ....but I didn't/don't think you need to use any special
    settings/drivers for an LCD as opposed to a CRT.

  6. #6

    Hello

    Anthony (<ordersnodivisions.com>) wrote:
    > Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssenbigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >> Maybe your lilo.conf is set to use some framebuffer graphics mode but
    >> your Kernel is compiled without the necessary drivers. Check your
    >> /etc/lilo.conf for the vga parameter. Try booting with "vga=normal".
    > [works with vga=normal]
    > So, after reading these two pages:
    > [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/01/2/40632[/url]
    > [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/01/3/42125[/url]
    >
    > ...I looked for those settings, but on the 2.4.22 kernel that I just
    > downloaded, they don't all exist. I do have CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
    > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT, but not CONFIG_FB_VESA. When I run make
    > menuconfig, I don't have "Frame-buffer support" under "Console
    > drivers," I only have "VGA text console" and "Video mode selection
    > support" there, and both of those are enabled (built-in, not modules).
    I think you must go to

    "Code maturity level options"

    and activate

    "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"

    to have these options available, as they are marked "experimental".

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  7. #7

    Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssenbigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<bjo5dp$lno$07$1news.t-online.com>...
    > > ...I looked for those settings, but on the 2.4.22 kernel that I just
    > > downloaded, they don't all exist. I do have CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and
    > > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT, but not CONFIG_FB_VESA. When I run make
    > > menuconfig, I don't have "Frame-buffer support" under "Console
    > > drivers," I only have "VGA text console" and "Video mode selection
    > > support" there, and both of those are enabled (built-in, not modules).
    >
    > I think you must go to
    >
    > "Code maturity level options"
    >
    > and activate
    >
    > "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"
    >
    > to have these options available, as they are marked "experimental".
    Aha! There they are. Thank you!

    -Anthony
    Anthony Guest

  8. #8

    Anthony wrote:
    > mjt <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com> wrote in message
    >> ... are you booting to a GUI runlevel (most likely '5')?
    >> if so, do a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill the server and
    >> get to a prompt. alternatively, you could CTRL-ALT-F1
    >> to get to the terminal. check your log files in
    >> /var/log, such as XFree86.0.log and messages for clues.
    >
    > No, I'm not, I'm booting to a shell prompt (X isn't even installed on this
    > system).
    ..... sounds as if you have something wacked out in the
    kernel configuration - have you checked the settings?
    can you switch to another virtual terminal and get
    any sort of output?
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    I think pop music has done more for oral intercourse than anything
    else that has ever happened, and vice versa. -- Frank Zappa

    mjt Guest