Professional Web Applications Themes

non-lossy quicktime av compression - Mac Applications & Software

1. anyone have a rank of the compressions in quicktime pro 5.05? e.g., when exporting to mov. 2. what is the best or which ARE non-lossy video compressions? 3. what the heck are the audio compressors? never heard of any of them. any recommendations? thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default non-lossy quicktime av compression

    1.
    anyone have a rank of the compressions in quicktime pro 5.05?
    e.g., when exporting to mov.

    2.
    what is the best or which ARE non-lossy video compressions?

    3.
    what the heck are the audio compressors? never heard of any of them. any
    recommendations?

    thanks!

    hgsil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: non-lossy quicktime av compression

    hgsil wrote:

    TIFF has no losses or compression. 3ivX is probably the
    best compressor.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > TIFF has no losses or compression. 3ivX is probably the
    > best compressor.[/ref]

    TIFF? Didn't he ask about *video*?
    Reginald Guest

  4. #4

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    QuickTime allows (basically) any compressor to be used for either video
    or still images. Still image compressors can be useful for video if you
    want to have lossless compressor and/or you want rapid frame-by-frame
    access.
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > > TIFF has no losses or compression. 3ivX is probably the
    > > best compressor.[/ref]
    >
    > TIFF? Didn't he ask about *video*?[/ref]

    Yes, but TIFF is one of the video options when exporting from QuickTime.
    It is lossless although there is also the no compression option which
    would be lossless as well.

    There are way too many codec options to rank any one as best. It really
    depends on the source and the destination. Being non-lossy isn't really
    a big deal, even DV format is lossy. If you start with DV and export to
    TIFF you'll just get a bigger file, not better quality.

    If small file size and high-quality is important 3ivX and DivX are
    really good but not everyone is going to have those codecs. MPEG-4 is a
    good new standard but it's not as good as DivX at the same data rate.
    It is more prevalent though.

    Basically, being the "best" video codec isn't the same as being
    non-lossy. The OP needs to consider the video source and where the
    movie will be presented.
    Heather Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bm1ibg$27mg$u.washington.edu>, hgsil
    <com> wrote:

    View some of the samples at Apple's Quicktime site. Find one somewhat
    like what you want to compress. See what codecs it uses (command J to
    get lots of info). The best codec to use depends on the nature of the
    material.
    Philo Guest

  7. #7

    > Yes, but TIFF is one of the video options when exporting from QuickTime.
    I will try exporting to TIFF.

    I have mpeg's shot on a digital camera that I burn to VCD. The movies are
    shot in low light and I was having problems with the videos getting darker
    with each transfer.

    So basically steps that I do so far (unless anyone has a better idea) are:
    1. record mpeg by digital camera.
    2. export to mov (i will try TIFF next time)
    3. export to VCD format (mpeg1?)

    I have a sony cybershot p30 and it says it records mpeg1 but when i try to
    burn to vcd it gives me invalid format errors, that is why i have been
    exporting to mov and then back to vcd.
    Tried the no compression setting but it makes huge files, but I guess worse
    comes to worse I could just set up a separate partition for exporting.
    Anyway, thanks!

    John

    hgsil Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bm1ibg$27mg$u.washington.edu>,
    "hgsil" <com> wrote:

    The Animation codec set to 100% quality is lossless. AIFF audio without
    any special encoding will be lossless.

    --
    ....Paul McGrane

    pmcg.comeuppance.org