Professional Web Applications Themes

non-pro CAD apps for Mac OS X - Mac Applications & Software

In <panix.com> nuk wrote:   Since you know about CADintosh, why isn't that the answer to your own question? It's $32 and does CAD on Mac OS X. What's the problem? m. -- matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt Subscribe to TidBITS. It's free and smart....

  1. #1

    Default Re: non-pro CAD apps for Mac OS X

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt
    Subscribe to TidBITS. It's free and smart.
    matt Guest

  2. #2

    matt neuburg wrote: [/ref]

    Here (below) is the answer to your question, Matt. He said he's
    _getting_ a copy of it. Not that he's tried it out yet.

    > Since you know about CADintosh, why isn't that the answer to your own
    > question? It's $32 and does CAD on Mac OS X. What's the problem? m.
    >
    > --
    > matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/ref]

    In fact, I have had CADintosh for some time and I like it a lot. Very
    capable, and the price is right. Besides which, Lemke Software (the
    owners of CADintosh) make regular upgrades to it, which you can download.

    keith whaley
    Keith Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:16:53 -0700, Keith Whaley <com> wrote:

    Correct. I finished d/ling a demo copy last night, and it seems to work
    ok. Crashed at least once in the first half hour, but since I know
    little to nothing about CAD, I was probably asking it to do something
    weird causing it to choke and puke. The price seems fair enough even if
    it does crash once in a while, I guess.

    >> Since you know about CADintosh, why isn't that the answer to your own
    >> question? It's $32 and does CAD on Mac OS X. What's the problem? m.
    >>
    >> --
    >> matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/ref]
    >
    > In fact, I have had CADintosh for some time and I like it a lot. Very
    > capable, and the price is right. Besides which, Lemke Software (the
    > owners of CADintosh) make regular upgrades to it, which you can download.
    >[/ref]

    As I mentioned above, I know basically nothing about CAD. I'm not
    looking at doing very much hardcore stuff, just designing projects for
    woodworking and carpentry such as custom cabinets, furniture, decking,
    home additions, etc. For some of that stuff it seems it would be a
    bennie to be able to do isometric drawings and/or rotate projects three
    dimensionally to check how things look/fit from different perspectives.
    Can CADintosh do this sort of stuff? Ideally what would be nice would
    some way of figuring board feet given a parts list or a cut list.
    That's probably shooting for the moon though, especially in this price
    range. The alternatives I'm looking at in M$ are IMSI TurboCAD, and
    AutoDesk QuickCAD or AutoSketch. How does CADintosh stack up to these
    programs?

    Thanks,

    nuk

    --
    I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
    and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

  4. #4

    nuk <com> wrote:

    You might try using Apple's X windowing system and Fink and get python
    and pythoncad. Alternativly if you can get it running, gcad looks quite
    good.

    Ross Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fz158k.1vcfc2u1bfjfl4N%com>,
    com (Ross Bernheim) wrote:

    > You might try using Apple's X windowing system and Fink and get python
    > and pythoncad. Alternativly if you can get it running, gcad looks quite
    > good.[/ref]

    I downloaded QCAD the other day. Looks ok for me, but no experience.

    http://www.qcad.org

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  6. #6

    In <1fz158k.1vcfc2u1bfjfl4N%com> Ross Bernheim wrote:

    > You might try using Apple's X windowing system and Fink and get python
    > and pythoncad. Alternativly if you can get it running, gcad looks
    > quite good.
    >[/ref]

    I have Qcad running without Fink on my OS X machine. I am still getting
    the feel for it, but it appears to work just fine.
    Chey Guest

  7. #7

    MacIntouch hassome reader feedback and reviews on several such programs...
    http://www.macintouch.com/drawreplacements.html#aug01

    --
    remove nospam to reply
    Peter Guest