Professional Web Applications Themes

Non reproducible NIS failure - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm having non reproducible problems with NIS, from time to time I have this error when trying to get any user info (uid, homedir, ...) like in the command "chown www-data file": do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Operation not permitted and chown fails but the same command works 99% of the time. It seems to happen more often when the servers are loaded, for example during cron.daily. I'm using a master NIS master with ~4000 users and 15 NIS slaves. This error happens on any of them. I'm thinking of a limit reached under some cirstances like ...

  1. #1

    Default Non reproducible NIS failure

    I'm having non reproducible problems with NIS, from time to time I
    have this error when trying to get any user info (uid, homedir, ...)
    like in the command "chown www-data file":

    do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Operation not permitted

    and chown fails but the same command works 99% of the time. It seems
    to happen more often when the servers are loaded, for example during
    cron.daily.

    I'm using a master NIS master with ~4000 users and 15 NIS slaves. This
    error happens on any of them.

    I'm thinking of a limit reached under some cirstances like the
    maximum number of concurrent connections or something like that.
    Google only returns 4 pages about this error message on the web and
    none on usenet, no answer. Do you have any idea where I should look
    at? Where should I ask about that?

    Merry Xmas with NIS.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Non reproducible NIS failure

    Cyril Bouthors <org> wrote:

    Probably a server failure due to overloading. What's your fanout? I try
    never to exceed 20:1.

    Or it could be local, and ypbind that's overloaded. Can happen with bad
    network cable. Needs precise debugging to know.

    Ah. Yes.

    And how fast is the server? Anyway, you mean 15 slave servers? Not 15
    clients?

    You should talk to the author.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  3. #3

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) writes:

    It should delay the answer but not fail, is there a way to change the
    timeout?

    I'm not sure to understand the question but my load is around 0.5 most
    of the time and between 1 and 4 during cron.daily (processing
    gigabytes of statistics).

    Is there a way to know that? Number of queries, ... ?

    Network is not used since the server is a slave. By the way, there's
    no problems with the network cables nor switches.

    Both master and slaves are fast.

    I used to have 15 clients and 1 master, I've switched to 15 slaves and
    1 master for performance issues.

    I've already asked Thorsten Kukuk.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  4. #4

    Cyril Bouthors <org> wrote: [/ref]

    Oh - it'll fail. You can recompile.
     [/ref]

    No, the number of clients accessing each server; "fanout".
     [/ref]

    Debug.
     [/ref]

    Are you saying that the server is only used locally? By people on the
    localhost machine?

     [/ref]

     [/ref]

    And how many clients? I think that perhaps you are describing a
    situation in which every client is also a slave server which is accessed
    only from localhost?

    In that case the (slave) server will go down for a while when you do
    the ypxfr of the maps, or the flush of the server caches. (there are
    many different ways of transferring maps, but ypxfr via pull is quite
    common).

    That may cause the client (ypbind) to switch to a broadcast mde
    temporarily.
     [/ref]

    And what did he say?

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  5. #5

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) writes:

    1 client = 1 server

    Exactly.

    Yes.

    I've already thought about that but ypxfr in this architecture are
    only made when adding new users and does not coincide with "Operation
    not permitted" error messages.

    No answer at this time but it's quite normal during Xmas.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  6. #6

    Cyril Bouthors <fr> wrote: [/ref]

     [/ref]

    You sure? There should be scripts in cron like ypxfr_1perday.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  7. #7

    "Cyril Bouthors" <fr> wrote in message

    > 1 client = 1 server

    > Exactly.

    > Yes.

    > I've already thought about that but ypxfr in this architecture are
    > only made when adding new users and does not coincide with "Operation
    > not permitted" error messages.[/ref]

    1: Look for cron jobs that tickle the ypxfr. Different OS's have different
    cron jobs to tickle hourly, daly, etc. cron jobs for NIX.

    2: Consider using dual hosts in your /etc/yp.conf: Linux NIS can certainly
    tolerate this, and it gives you a fallover to use if one of them fails at
    NIS slave service.

    Nico Guest

  8. #8

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) writes:

    I've already checked:

    # find /etc -type f | xargs grep ypxfr
    /etc/init.d/nis: echo -n "ypxfrd "
    /etc/init.d/nis: --exec ${NET}/rpc.ypxfrd
    /etc/init.d/nis: --name rpc.ypxfrd
    /etc/rpc:ypxfrd 100069
    /etc/ypserv.securenets:# for NIS clients (and slave servers - ypxfrd uses this
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  9. #9

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <net> writes:

    I've already checked, look at my other post.

    I think this one is a good idea. I've changed yp.conf but since I
    can't reproduce the bug easily, I have to wait few hours/days to see
    if cron scripts happen to fail again.

    Nico, Thank you.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  10. #10

    > I've already checked, look at my other post.

    > I think this one is a good idea. I've changed yp.conf but since I
    > can't reproduce the bug easily, I have to wait few hours/days to see
    > if cron scripts happen to fail again.[/ref]

    It was unclear to me that you checked on both clients and the server, but
    you're entirely welcome.

    Also, are your clients the same OS as your server? I've run into real "fun"
    with distinct OS's ideas about NIS....

    Nico Guest

  11. #11

    Cyril Bouthors <fr> wrote: [/ref]

    Try

    find /etc -type f -name \*ypxfr\*

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  12. #12

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) writes:

    I've used find as an example in my mail but I'm sure ypxfr is not used
    anywhere else on my system, it would have been included in the nis
    debian package I'm using, dpkg -L reports nothing like that.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  13. #13

    Cyril Bouthors <fr> writes:

    > I think this one is a good idea. I've changed yp.conf but since I
    > can't reproduce the bug easily, I have to wait few hours/days to see
    > if cron scripts happen to fail again.[/ref]

    I think it helped but I'm still having the same problems. :(
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  14. #14

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <net> writes:

    I've checked on both.

    Exact same OS everywhere: latest Debian/sid with recent 2.4 Linux
    kernels.
    --
    Cyril Bouthors
    Cyril Guest

  15. #15

    Cyril Bouthors <org> wrote:
     [/ref]

    It's easy to be sure - just execute the command.

    So do

    dpkg -S yp

    Peter
    P.T. Guest