Professional Web Applications Themes

non-unix admin pleads for help from unix gurus - SCO

Hello, I am a network admin working on a project which involves a SCO Unix 5 server provided by another software company. The server provides ftp and telnet servers which can be accessed from the local clients (win98 machines using a client called "Anzio" for telnet access), but when the router port fowards are setup to the server (running at 192.168.0.12), they cannot be accessed from the Internet. Using [url]www.spinrite.com[/url] tests I can confirm that the unix server is not responding on those ports. At the same time, I can setup a telnet or ftp client on one of the ...

  1. #1

    Default non-unix admin pleads for help from unix gurus

    Hello,

    I am a network admin working on a project which involves a SCO Unix 5
    server provided by another software company. The server provides ftp
    and telnet servers which can be accessed from the local clients (win98
    machines using a client called "Anzio" for telnet access), but when
    the router port fowards are setup to the server (running at
    192.168.0.12), they cannot be accessed from the Internet. Using
    [url]www.spinrite.com[/url] tests I can confirm that the unix server is not
    responding on those ports. At the same time, I can setup a telnet or
    ftp client on one of the win98 PC's, udpate the port forwards and the
    communication is fine. In further testing today, I setup a
    gateway-gateway VPN tunnel between this office and another office.
    The 2nd office can access all PC's from the office with the unix
    server, but across the tunnel the unix PC will not respond to pings
    (name or #) and none of the telnet or ftp services can be accessed,
    although the PC name is visible from netbios broadcasts. It appears
    to me that the router is possibly rejecting the PC in certain
    situations due to some kind of misconfiguration of the unix machine.
    Any ideas? I am at a loss, and I am not experienced with unix.
    Please respond to the modified email address if at all possible.
    Thanks in advance for any help you unix gurus can provide. ;-)

    Charles

    CT Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: non-unix admin pleads for help from unix gurus: repy from a non-guru

    CT wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a network admin working on a project which involves a SCO Unix 5
    > server provided by another software company. The server provides ftp
    > and telnet servers which can be accessed from the local clients (win98
    > machines using a client called "Anzio" for telnet access), but when
    > the router port fowards are setup to the server (running at
    > 192.168.0.12), they cannot be accessed from the Internet. Using
    > [url]www.spinrite.com[/url] tests I can confirm that the unix server is not
    > responding on those ports. At the same time, I can setup a telnet or
    > ftp client on one of the win98 PC's, udpate the port forwards and the
    > communication is fine. In further testing today, I setup a
    > gateway-gateway VPN tunnel between this office and another office.
    > The 2nd office can access all PC's from the office with the unix
    > server, but across the tunnel the unix PC will not respond to pings
    > (name or #) and none of the telnet or ftp services can be accessed,
    > although the PC name is visible from netbios broadcasts. It appears
    > to me that the router is possibly rejecting the PC in certain
    > situations due to some kind of misconfiguration of the unix machine.
    > Any ideas? I am at a loss, and I am not experienced with unix.
    > Please respond to the modified email address if at all possible.
    > Thanks in advance for any help you unix gurus can provide. ;-)

    <disclaimer value=not a guru />
    It would be helpful to know which release of 5 you are running,
    type:
    uname -X
    and report the release value. (note: in unix capitalization is
    important: UNAME -X will not work, nor will uname -x)

    My first guess is that the unix box does not have the router defined as
    a gateway. how to do that depends on the unix release.

    bill Guest

  3. #3

    CT <cbj-nospam-wthwm2hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I am a network admin working on a project which involves a SCO Unix 5
    >server provided by another software company. The server provides ftp
    >and telnet servers which can be accessed from the local clients (win98
    >machines using a client called "Anzio" for telnet access), but when
    >the router port fowards are setup to the server (running at
    >192.168.0.12), they cannot be accessed from the Internet. Using
    Most likely you just lack a default route. See
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec4.html#defaultroute[/url]

    It's also possible that the SCO box is deliberately blocking
    with ipfilter: [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec2.html#ipfilter[/url]
    or tcpd: [url]http://aplawrence.com/Security/general.html#skip[/url]

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]