Professional Web Applications Themes

Norton Utilities 8 - Mac Applications & Software

Norton Disk Doctor was workable in OS9 and one could do a custom install and avoid all the crap like filesaver. In OSX, Norton installs stuff all over the place and I have been afraid to install it based on news posts and what I know of the OS9 version. Norton Disk Doctor running in OS9 will check and repair an osx volume but on one occasion it changed the names of a bunch of system related files which trashed my OSX OS so I had to reinstall. I suspect that more recent versions of Norton Disk Dr. won't do ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Norton Utilities 8

    Norton Disk Doctor was workable in OS9 and one could do a custom install
    and avoid all the crap like filesaver. In OSX, Norton installs stuff
    all over the place and I have been afraid to install it based on news
    posts and what I know of the OS9 version.

    Norton Disk Doctor running in OS9 will check and repair an osx volume
    but on one occasion it changed the names of a bunch of system related
    files which trashed my OSX OS so I had to reinstall. I suspect that
    more recent versions of Norton Disk Dr. won't do that but not sure.

    It would seem that Disk Warrior and Apple's Disk Utility should be
    sufficient for most problems for hard disks running osx. In OS9, I
    always ran disk warrior before Norton disk doctor anyway if there was a
    problem.

    A stable stand-alone app like Norton disk doctor without all the other
    crap or perhaps such an app on a bootable CD might be useful in some
    cases?

    Regarding Norton Antivirus software, it's too intrusive. Switched to Virex.

    Peter KERR wrote:
    > There's some material on versiontracker.com that would be regarded as
    > libelous in some jurisdictions...
    >
    > I've always thought of Nortons as like ResEdit or a sharp knife,
    > you can fix amazing things on your system, or you can destroy it.
    > IOW, Keep away from Children
    >
    > So, any adults out there got anything useful to say about NU8?
    > (DiskWarrior groupies ineligible ;-)
    George Guest

  2. #2

    In article <user-3C1C49.10282910072003scream.auckland.ac.nz>,
    Peter KERR <userhost.domain> wrote:
    >There's some material on versiontracker.com that would be regarded as
    >libelous in some jurisdictions...
    >
    >I've always thought of Nortons as like ResEdit or a sharp knife,
    >you can fix amazing things on your system, or you can destroy it.
    >IOW, Keep away from Children
    >
    >So, any adults out there got anything useful to say about NU8?
    >(DiskWarrior groupies ineligible ;-)
    I think there are two separate points here. First, you're right -- small
    children and similarly intellectual adults ought not to be playing with
    matches.

    That agreement notwithstanding, there is disillusionment and outright
    disgust with how Symantec has developed Norton Utilities for Macintosh.
    I would argue that they've been going slowly downhill since around version
    5.0. Even if you disagree with that assessment, I think you'll have to
    concede that their Mac OS X version(s) are pure crap. The design of the
    programs shows that they don't get it, and really missed the boat.

    The death knell for my faith in them came when I saw the OS X-native
    version of Norton Disk Doctor instruct me to stop using my
    applications, mouse, and keyboard while NUM waited for the system to
    become as quiescent as possible, so that any corrections it made to my
    disk would be relatively safe. That's an incredibly irresponsible
    assumption for a disk utility, and I felt it was playing Russian Roulette
    with my hard drive. That was the end of NUM on my system.

    Well, *almost* the end. Removing it was trickier than expected, because
    the product had installed some kernel extensions that I had to chase
    after... things that made my system crash without the rest of NUM
    installed.

    Sorry for the rant, but I've just had enough of that software flotsam.

    --
    Gregory Pratt [email]usenetgp.users.panix.com[/email]
    East Rutherford, NJ, USA