Professional Web Applications Themes

Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior? - Mac Applications & Software

Which program is better for O.S. 9_: Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior?...

  1. #1

    Default Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior?

    Which program is better for O.S. 9_: Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior?

    Tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 06:18:22 GMT, Tony <com> wrote:

    Your mileage may vary, but my boss's drive borked big time a little
    while back, and Norton hacked at it for 30 minutes, choked on it,
    dumped me back to the Finder and basically told me "Sorry, you're on
    your own." So I popped DW in there and we were back up in ten minutes.

    DiskWarrior only does one thing though - rebuilds disk directories.
    But it does that really, really well. It builds new ones from the
    actual sizes and locations of the files and then throws the old ones
    away and replaces them. Norton does other things (FileSaver is nice to
    have around), but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Apple, IIRC,
    told Symantec NOT to produce a Norton for OS X. So I'll be working
    with DW and Tech Tool Pro 4, when that finally arrives.
    forge Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Tony <com> wrote:

    You really need both. I recently used Disk Warrior to recover a drive
    that Norton Utilities couldn't but Norton Utilities has a a lot of
    features that Disk Warrior doesn't.

    OWC sells an older version of Systemworks that includes Norton Utilities
    6.0 for only about $10.

    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5100&Item=SYM072600421BQ

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  4. #4

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.c
    om>, NeoLuddite <com> wrote:

    >I have a Beige G3 running 9.1 and also use both.Norton takes forever[/ref]
    to both load and run its diagnostics test but the wait is worth
    it.Whenever I have a problem I run Disk Doctor first,DW second and
    Norton last.Bill.
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    In article <130920031010574944%net>,
    Bill Duncan <net> wrote:

    > >[/ref]
    > I have a Beige G3 running 9.1 and also use both.Norton takes forever
    > to both load and run its diagnostics test but the wait is worth
    > it.Whenever I have a problem I run Disk Doctor first,DW second and
    > Norton last. Bill.[/ref]

    I think you mean:
    Disk First Aid (Part of Apple's standard installation)
    Disk Warrior
    Norton Disk Doctor

    I heard you should also run Disk First Aid several times as it sometimes
    stops and claims it can't fix something but if you run it again it might.

  6. #6

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.c

    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>, forge
    <youneedageek.com> wrote:

    Why would they have done that?

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  8. #8

    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:42:33 +0100, forge wrote:

    > Your mileage may vary, but my boss's drive borked big time a little
    > while back, and Norton hacked at it for 30 minutes, choked on it,
    > dumped me back to the Finder and basically told me "Sorry, you're on
    > your own." So I popped DW in there and we were back up in ten minutes.
    >
    > DiskWarrior only does one thing though - rebuilds disk directories.
    > But it does that really, really well. It builds new ones from the
    > actual sizes and locations of the files and then throws the old ones
    > away and replaces them. Norton does other things (FileSaver is nice to
    > have around), but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Apple, IIRC,
    > told Symantec NOT to produce a Norton for OS X. So I'll be working
    > with DW and Tech Tool Pro 4, when that finally arrives.[/ref]

    Where did you hear that alledged info from?

    Unless what Apple are really saying is, "Make sure your next version really
    does work, this time round!" - but that's just my humble interpretation.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 6:42:33 -0600, forge wrote
    (in message <com>):

    > Your mileage may vary, but my boss's drive borked big time a little
    > while back, and Norton hacked at it for 30 minutes, choked on it,
    > dumped me back to the Finder and basically told me "Sorry, you're on
    > your own." So I popped DW in there and we were back up in ten minutes.
    >
    > DiskWarrior only does one thing though - rebuilds disk directories.
    > But it does that really, really well. It builds new ones from the
    > actual sizes and locations of the files and then throws the old ones
    > away and replaces them. Norton does other things (FileSaver is nice to
    > have around), but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Apple, IIRC,
    > told Symantec NOT to produce a Norton for OS X. So I'll be working
    > with DW and Tech Tool Pro 4, when that finally arrives.[/ref]

    I second forge's motion. Norton installs kernel extensions that can cause
    functionality or security problems. Admittedly, running Norton from the CD
    and not installing it avoids the problem. DiskWarrior is best for file
    maintenence is the general consensus in other ng's as well. And I use Drive10
    while I wait for my copy of TechToolPro 4 to be delivered.

    Chris H.

    Chris Guest