Professional Web Applications Themes

not a recognised freeheand file - Macromedia Freehand

Is there any way I can open a file which was ok this morning but now says it is not a valid freehand file? problems started as so; working on a freehand 10 file and when copying and pasting a text block it says something like "can not perform the operation due to an unexpected error" so I click the OK button and the screen refreshes with the pasted text block in place. Strange it told me it couldn't do that. So I quickly save the file just in case. Next I go to drag the original text block onto ...

  1. #1

    Default not a recognised freeheand file

    Is there any way I can open a file which was ok this morning but now says it is
    not a valid freehand file?

    problems started as so; working on a freehand 10 file and when copying and
    pasting a text block it says something like "can not perform the operation due
    to an unexpected error" so I click the OK button and the screen refreshes with
    the pasted text block in place. Strange it told me it couldn't do that. So I
    quickly save the file just in case. Next I go to drag the original text block
    onto another section of the pasteboard and the program says something like
    "unable to draw doent as you are low on memory". Weird, only Freehand and
    Outlook are open, nothing else and FreeRamXP is showing that I have an unused
    block of memory of around 300MB. Anyway, I close freehand and then restart the
    application and go to open the file I was just working on however now it says
    "can't open file as it is not a valid freehand file". What the... it still has
    a freehand icon and the propeties show it as opening with freehand 10 but the
    file won't open. Tried copying it to another computer and it still don't open.
    HELP... any ideas how I can open this file.

    qtl_art Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: not a recognised freeheand file

    Hi

    These are somethings you could try is copying and renaming the file using your
    Windows Explorer.

    Also try importing the file into a new doent.

    In general to avoid corrupted doents I'd reccomend the following workflow:

    Do not use the save function.

    Always "Save As", this way you effectively save a "clean copy" of the doent
    each time. I personally always increment a number on the end of the filename
    such as freehandfile001.fh11 freehandfile002.fh11 and so on... another
    possibility is to alternate between 2 doent names like freehandfilea.fh11
    and freehandfileb.fh11 - this is not only applicable to Freehand by the way but
    also a good way of avoiding corrupted doents in any other program too.

    andrewgburnett Guest

  3. #3

    If you use Windows there is no reason to use Freehand, CorelDraw is better.

    Windows handle the memory very well, so I think your problem is not low
    memory. You always be able to do your work with the minimum requirements of
    memory on a Windows platform. Your PC runs slower, but you can do your job.

    It is possible your Freehand needs a service pack.

    Try to get the latest service pack of you software.

    "qtl_art" <com> wrote in message
    it is
    and
    due
    with

    block
    and
    unused
    the
    says
    has
    the
    open.

    Carlos Guest

  4. #4

    You could also try disabling fonts. FH will have fits with corrupt fonts
    where other programs have no problem at all.

    D. Guest

  5. #5

    I agree with D. Plank.

    This sounds like a corrupt font issue. Freehand can't stand 'em.

    If you're using Suitcase X run "font dr" on your fonts. Try to keep as few loaded as possible.
    jamie Guest