Professional Web Applications Themes

Not enough memory to place the file error - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I recently created an illustration for a client. It was two days work. I had placed a psd file (flatted but psd) into the file. I saved it and everything was fine. Three days later I get a message from my client that they approve the version without the psd. So I open the file and I get the error "Not enough memory to place the file". I hit ok to that and get another error "there is not enought memory available to process the appearance of the object." I have no idea what caused this. The file was fine ...

  1. #1

    Default Not enough memory to place the file error

    I recently created an illustration for a client. It was two days work. I had placed a psd file (flatted but psd) into the file. I saved it and everything was fine.

    Three days later I get a message from my client that they approve the version without the psd. So I open the file and I get the error "Not enough memory to place the file". I hit ok to that and get another error "there is not enought memory available to process the appearance of the object."

    I have no idea what caused this. The file was fine three days ago and I have 600 mb of RAM free. I deleted the psd layer and tried to save. I get "unknown error has occured"!!!!!! That's useful!

    Finally I managed to save the doent in legacy ai format. When I re-opened it, it seemed fine and at least I could get the file to the printer.

    What is the cause of this? I never had such problems with Illustrator 10! My mistake for upgrading?
    Andy_Flaster@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Not enough memory to place the file error

    Andy,

    Something is apparently corrupting your file. Hard to say what it might be (anything running by Norton?). But I just Placed a JPEG, PSD, and TIFF image onto a fresh layout (in CS), saved it, closed Illustrator did other work, then reopened Illustrator, opened this file (it had saved just fine, and opened fine) and did an edit of it by deleting the PSD, adding a couple vector objects and did a simple Save. Closed the file, then reopened it. Not a problem. When this happens, what happens if you do a Save As to another filename? Have you checked your Temp folder (with Illustrator closed) to see if it's holding any Temp files?

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes I agree this is obviously a corrupt file issue. The point is, what is causing the file corruption? More than a few people have been complaining about this issue with the CS version of illustrator for windows. Since you are using a new file format, perhaps it would be a good idea for Adobe to investigate this issue with the new file format?

    I don't mean to attack you or Adobe here but saying "I don't have the problem so it must be your system" is not very helpful and a bit fishy sounding. I tried save as to another file, no go not to any other disc or removeable media. The only thing that worked was exporting it to legacy ai or legacy eps formats and continuing in Illustrator 10. Sounds like a new file format problem to me.
    Andy_Flaster@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Andy,

    This is a USER TO USER Forum. I'm not an Adobe employee. I'm not so sure why it's fishy by MY not having this same problem, as that is why to ME, it's not a program problem I'm not getting corrupted files and most using CS are not. Some are, as you've noted. What do they and perhaps you have going on in your system that is not on my system or other systems not having the problem, since your version of Illustrator CS and mine are without a doubt the same except for serial numbers. When you do not have a common occurance on all systems (good or bad) and that's a problem, the first thing to look for is the "difference" between those that do have the problem and those that don't. It doesn't do much to correct things by blaming the program. If it were common knowledge what is corrupting the files, then it would be easy to fix, but there are many things that can do that, including a system with heavy loss of resources, working files over a network, low memory, and conflicting programs also working on the system.

    There is no new format to .ai files from version 10. There are changes, of course, but the base of CS .ai files is still PDF which is what it was in version 10.

  5. #5

    Hey folks, this is probably a really old issue but it shows up in google so whatev.

    Possible fix...

    While troubleshooting a client today I ran into the error above. We found that when Illustrator CS5 has it's window maximized we don't encounter the error. Our fix was to open the program once, set the window to maximized, test a file, then exit Illustrator. Illustrator remembers to open this way once it is closed so files open great now regardless of the program running currently or needing to launch. Hope this helps!

    ~Mark
    Unregistered Guest

  6. #6

    Cool Not enough memory to place the file error

    [QUOTE=Unregistered;506295]Hey folks, this is probably a really old issue but it shows up in google so whatev.